I Used The 400k Option In 2006-7

Hi Folks,

I am an Indian married to a Thai national.

During my previous visit to Thailand, I arrived in Thailand with a Non Imm "O" visa based on marriage to a Thai national. I did get an extension for one year(March 2006-March 2007) based on the 400K in the bank. Once this extension expired I returned back to India in March 2007. I will be going back to Thailand again in March 2008.

My question is since I have already been granted a one year extension based on the 400K earlier (March 2006-March 2007) can I still use this option for extending my visa this time by showing 400K in the bank again. I am actually entering Thailand with the Non Imm "O" visa based on marriage to a Thai national for 60 days.

Was just wondering if this is possible as I read in the forum that the option of 400K has been revoked but is still applicable to people who used it earlier.

Cheers!

Normally grandfathered provisions have not been available once a break was made but only immigration can say for sure so I would give it a try if there is no 40k family income option available.

Hi Lopburi,

It seems these grandfathered provisions are not available also to people on their 3rd consecutive year extension in Phuket, I have a friend who recently asked for it to the immigration office but they told him that was useless try to apply on 400K basis only, so he asked to an agent to apply for him and it seems that the music changed a bit, but still they want to see 400k plus some money coming from abroad, they did not specify 40k though.

Is it possible that different Immigrations are applying their own home-made rules?

You will only know if you try - two applicants/officers can lead to different results. The wording on this provision does not appear to be very exact so expect there are varied results with few or very subtle differences.

I might also try my next renewal on the 400k basis. My situation is a bit different, though. I had my first year on the 400k option, the second one on the 40k+ monthly income. Does that count as a break or can I jump back to the 400k option?

I'll go down to Immigration sometime next week (1 month ahead of my renewal date) to ask, just in case.

I can definitely use the income method. I've just been saving a bit of my income overseas over the past months, so I can only show around 60k per month coming in. Not as much as I showed last year coming in per month due to this, but I guess it should be enough as long as it's over 40k :o

My understanding is that as soon as you have broken the continunity of an extension then you have to apply based on any new legislation for further extensions. For example I asked could I change to a dependence Visa as a have a Thai Son. I was told yes but you could no longer go back to the 400K option, you would now have to use the 40K option

Normally grandfathered provisions have not been available once a break was made but only immigration can say for sure so I would give it a try if there is no 40k family income option available.

Hi Lopburi,

It seems these grandfathered provisions are not available also to people on their 3rd consecutive year extension in Phuket, I have a friend who recently asked for it to the immigration office but they told him that was useless try to apply on 400K basis only, so he asked to an agent to apply for him and it seems that the music changed a bit, but still they want to see 400k plus some money coming from abroad, they did not specify 40k though.

Is it possible that different Immigrations are applying their own home-made rules?

The immigration officers have thier own interpretation of every regulation. But 40k a month seems consistent. Last time the officer did not even look at my bank book or at the letter from my embassy confirming my income.

An easy option is to set up a fund that gives you 40K a month through a financial adviser. The income would come partly from profits and partly capital. The initial investment depend on how long you want the income to last.

If you buy an annuity, which is what a financial advisor will do (for a fee) that pays you a set amount per month for x years you will also be paying the finance company their profits.

You can set up an revocable living trust to your child(ren) with yourself as the trustee/administrator and pay yourself a fee every month.

Then if you get divorced you can revoke the trust.

Jan

I have my own companies overseas. I just have a letter from one of them stating my monthly income, have my accountant sign it and then show it (certified by the Embassy) together with the bank book that shows monthly wire transfers. It worked for me last year and unless they changed the rules again it should work this year too.

How long ahead before the current visa expires do you need to apply for the new one, by the way? The extension, I mean. A week or two?

Anytime within the last 30 days - some officers suggest three weeks to allow for any missing items but most probably make it a week or two.

Live to the limit:go the last day! :D

One day before,if you're a wimp! :o

Please,don't flame,Lop,it's fun!Look at the faces of the Imm. people! :D