Phantom/boss Yamaha Hybrid

micksterbs

Been thinking about bikes here and what would, IMO, constitute a good all-round bike. Have been, and still am, attracted to the CBR150. Seems like a good bike and I reckon I could have a fair bit of fun with it. But I have to confess that I have a bit of a hankering for something a bit different; unique, even.

Was thinking of getting hold of a good used Honda Phantom or Kawasaki Boss and replacing the 150 engine with a Yamaha SR500 unit. Should be reasonably straightforward (famous last words) and I wondered if anyone had done anything similar? I can't imagine that it would invoke the fury of the BiB as it would look almost the same. Would certainly sound a bit more interesting though. What would be the process re paperwork? Would it be too much of a hassle? What do you think?

Boy I have thought about that more than once. Have done some preliminary dimensioning working with the Suziki 650 and 800 single cylinder and there just aint much room to work with. I have done swaps before and there is not much that cant be done with a cutting torch and buzz box but all sorts of unexpected messy things happen down the road. Am interested if others have considered the same thing.

Thanks! I had a proper look at a Boss yesterday, xsbusman, and I see what you mean. It's smaller than it looks, isn't it? Still, like you say, nothing that couldn't be worked-out.

I know what you mean, Mount of Venus. I remember my brother messing around with a Kawasaki/Suzuki contraption years ago and he had a bit of a fiddle with the sprockets. As for the avatar, I think it was from http://www.coolavatars.net/

I shall be intrigued to see how your avater turns out. It can't be that closely related to your user name, methinks... :o

In the states I took 3 H2 750 mack engines (Kawasaki 1974's 2 strokes & put them in a custom design flat track frame &) It was one of the fastest 1/4 mile flat trackers on the strip till the 90's. It was a bitch even though the engines were identical just getting the 3 timed perfectly was a chore(& you really could feel the vibration as you hit the VANISHING POINT!

It is always doable- but with any conversion on anything mechanical it requires a lot of think tank work as the variables stack up.

If your frame can support the power train & you don't mind the roadblocks of modifications (sprokets, driveline.electrical & installation& then getting it to balance so it doesn't rattle the bones off your frame) It can be done They laughed at me when I first talked about my H2 design as i am sure they gave Dutchdram a roasting on his RX7 Motorcycle rocket. They weren't laughing to much when all they could see was a blur going by.Ahhh to be young & fearless-----& STUPID again.

Cheers. If you got the funds (I am sure in Thailand it wouldn't be all that much Mick) Go for it.Be sure to tell us how it went!!!!

I have a Honda Phantom 200cc with quite a lot of mileage on it and it starts to show.

I have started to think of renovating but also on installing a bigger cc engine.

It would be fun to hear how it turns out for you......