Uk Drivers Licence

Pushit

Your U.K. licence is not enough. If you got an international licence before you left U.K. you'd be legal. If you have a non immigrant visa, pop into your local immigration and get the form (can't remember the name, just tell them it's for a driving licence) and take it to the driving licence centre. You'll need photos for the form and the fee which is not too much. Do you want a licence for a car or bike or both? They made me get two forms for the two licences. Once I got to the licence centre they told me that I didn't need the forms as I had a work permit. So I'd wasted a bit of money on two forms. They will give you an eye test to see if your colour blind, takes 20 seconds. Get photo copies of your U.K. licence (both parts unless you still have a really old one with out the pink card) and passport and be prepared to sit and wait. They'll give you your licences for one year. Now, here's the trick: Go back there on the day of expiry of the one year licence, then you can renew for a five year licence. If you go back the day before or the day after expiry you'll only get another one year licence. Once you've got your licence you flash it where ever Thais pay less than foreigners for entry e.g. the zoo. You'll pay the Thai price. It pays for itself very quickly. :o

^^^ Yep, pretty much it, check out the pinned thread at the top of the motoring forum for full step by step details to get a Thai licence.

Just one thing, you can apply for your 5 year licence a considerable time after your 1 year expires (at least 6 months), not as noted above, if you go on the last day you'll get another 1 year, go the day after it expires and you get 5 :o

Motor insurance in Thailand is for the vehicle not the driver, if your lady has 1st Class insurance so do you provided you have a proper licence (IDP or Thai) :D

Edited by Crossy

Just adding mr experience at trat goverment offices where you get the license (sorry forgot what they call it in thai)

Ive got non imm visa and uk driving licence and International driving permit. I already had a 1 year car driving licence ( you need another just for motorbike ) which i got in bkk but experied a couple of years ago !

Also i got a letter from immigration in laem ngop (ferry point for koh chang). 500 baht. Had to show wifes tabian baan ( house book) And photos/copies of everything.

Took it all to driving lisence office need 2 copies of everything also need medical report from doctors in trat town 50 baht and 2 copies,doctor didnt even see me.

After checking everything they decided that because i didnt have motorcycle entitlement on my uk licence i needed to take a test theory and driving test.

I wanted to get a motorbike licence aswell.

Given a book of thai road signs/parking restrictions/road line painting and told to go and revise it(has english aswell!)

After 10 minutes reading i sat at one of about 20 computers which had a 60 minute 30 question test ( in english ) touch screen to answer 1,2,3 or 4.

You need to get 23 out of 30 to pass,i passed on 25,but i had to take another test for the car licence,but roughly same questions.I failed,can i take it again ? Yes you can,...went and read the book for another 5-10 mins,failed again.One more time ??? OK.

I saw that a man walking around the computers was telling some students the answers when they go stuck.So i tried this and he told me the answers aswell on some i was not sure.I passed.phwew... Note,a lot of questions were not in book.

Then told to go out side to the test track where people were having driving "tests" had to borrow a guys motorbike and a guy who had already taken his test run into the track and tell me to drive around a little circuit for 5 mins.I dont think the "tester" was even watching me. Passed,i think.

Went back inside and paid 620 baht for a five year car licence( lucky ? ) and a 1 year motorbike licence. If i wanted a new style credit card style licence i could pay 100 baht each,which i did,you dont need to give photo for this as is takes a digital photo at the computer when it prints the card.

Didnt watch any video or have any eye tests.

Was suprised at having to take the thoery test and driving test.

Hope this is interesting to anyone. :o

Hi.

My experience was much the same as "hgvneil" I had a current UK licence, and an expired 1 year Thai licence. However as the Thai Licence had a previous address in a different Changwat (County) I had to get a letter from the British Embassy confirming my present address, armed with this and a certificate from my local doctor (he did check my blood pressure) plus 2 photos and copy of my passport details I re-applied. at the Vehicle licencing bureau I had to take the theory test but not the practical or eyesight test. in all it took about 2 hours to get my 5 year licence issued.

Goodluck to you.

Regards Nibor.

• 3 years later...

^^^ Yep, pretty much it, check out the pinned thread at the top of the motoring forum for full step by step details to get a Thai licence.

Just one thing, you can apply for your 5 year licence a considerable time after your 1 year expires (at least 6 months), not as noted above, if you go on the last day you'll get another 1 year, go the day after it expires and you get 5 :o

Motor insurance in Thailand is for the vehicle not the driver, if your lady has 1st Class insurance so do you provided you have a proper licence (IDP or Thai) :D

Guys, Guys... thanks for the info but am I the only one sitting here scratching my head wondering <deleted>? The points of:

1/ If you apply for a license renewal before expiry (like good little boys ) you only get ONE YEAR

2/ But if you go after expiry you get FIVE YEARS

This is the strangest thing... does anyone else have experience with this?

----------------------------

You pay, you pay, you pay....

Guys, Guys... thanks for the info but am I the only one sitting here scratching my head wondering <deleted>? The points of:

1/ If you apply for a license renewal before expiry (like good little boys ) you only get ONE YEAR

This is Thailand, lot of head scratching here. :)

It's simple............... really!!!!!! wacko.gif

The rules say that before anyone can have a 5-year licence, the applicant must have held a "provisional"/temporary/1-year licence (whatever) for at least a year!!!!

Inexplicably, having a 1-year licence for 364 days and 23 hours doesn't comply with the condition!!!