Judo In Bangkok

erikhs

I'd like to train some Judo here in Bangkok, and found an older post, mentioning some places.

Does anyone have some updates on training times and location?

Also, has anyone heard about Judo training at Rangsit Campus, Thammasat?

Thanks!

Several months ago I was going to the judo at Ramkhamhaeng University/Stadium, memory's a bit hazy but it was something like 5-8 everyday except Sunday and Monday for training with the national team. I think that if you're at a decent level they'll be okay with having you work out with them, they were pretty nice with me, especially the Korean coach, he's a good guy. But not much English spoken there. And I think on Sundays the team doesn't work out, but if you go you'll probably find a few people (usually black belts) working out lightly. (I stopped going because I need someplace more accessible from the Rama IV area during rush hour.)

Directions: Get off at either Lat Prao subway station or Phra Konong BTS station and then hop in a cab. Tell them Sanam Geela Ramkhamhaeng or Mahawityalai Ramkhamhaeng. Once there, tell cabbie Gate 2. Walk down the driveway a bit, then turn left behind the running track/field and cross the quiet two-way road, and the building will be ahead and slightly to the left for the main entrance, it's opposite a refreshment stand in a grassy patch.

I've recently checked out, but as of yet not worked out at, the Thai-Japanese Youth Centre. It's in the Din Daeng area (Victory Monument BTS station) and I think is 4-8 or something like that. I went at around 5:30 on a Sunday, and it was mostly youngsters, saw maybe 3 people over 20 (including the sensei). But talked with one of the parents watching and he said that young adults normally arrive around 6-6:30, and that they're all fairly advanced. You have to be a member to work out, which involves paying B20 and bringing a copy of your passport, I think.

The BFC has BJJ, which was good for complementing judo and teaching Ne Waza principles, and BFC is the most convient location for me that I've found so far. But I personally like Tachi Waza to much to switch at this point.

Dunno about Rangsit.

Another place that I understand that does judo is the Chulalongkorn Uni Indoor stadium that is not too far from MBK. Ive never been there, so dont know about the times or the training.

If you are interesetd in BJJ, EMAC is also good place to train (Tues, Thurs, Sun). You can get details on the web by googling EMAC.

BTW dont know about Rangsit either.

Edited by longway

Hey,

Thanks for your replies!

Im a beginner in Judo, have only tried a few times, but i train muay thai regurlarly, so at least im in decent shape.

From what i understand most of these places you mention, is not really for beginners?

What about the BJJ class, for beginners also?

And second question, where can i buy a gi, and how much should it cost?

Thanks

Hey,

Thanks for your replies!

Im a beginner in Judo, have only tried a few times, but i train muay thai regurlarly, so at least im in decent shape.

From what i understand most of these places you mention, is not really for beginners?

What about the BJJ class, for beginners also?

And second question, where can i buy a gi, and how much should it cost?

Thanks

beginners are welcome at both places, its good fun. :o im not paticuarly advanced myself. bfc do no gi on tues/thurs. you can buy a gi at emac or you can go to fbt. i bought mine at fbt just around the corner from the national stadium.

I checked out the BJJ at BFC the other day and it was good practise, but im surprised that they charge 2500 baht pr. month just for BJJ :o

I looked at EMACs homepage which unfortunately was only in thai, but there it looks like its 1200 pr. month, is that right? Also is it possible to get a free practise session?

And last, is the instructions at the thai-japanese center only in thai or english?

I checked out the BJJ at BFC the other day and it was good practise, but im surprised that they charge 2500 baht pr. month just for BJJ :o

I looked at EMACs homepage which unfortunately was only in thai, but there it looks like its 1200 pr. month, is that right? Also is it possible to get a free practise session?

And last, is the instructions at the thai-japanese center only in thai or english?

yes, yes and thai :D

yes, yes and thai :D

Update:

I went to the Thai-Japanese center and met up with the judo team. Seems i arrived to late for beginner practise which is Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday from around 4 pm. Lots of other things going on there, including a massive aerobic exercise outside, not a bad place to meet local girls, id think :D

20 baht a year, all included is a very fair price also, but lack of english could be a problem.

As i said in the previous post, BFC didnt seem good value for money at 2500 baht/month, and the facilities werent all that great, but good acces if you live near skytrain.

I also visited the EMAC centre and liked it a lot, it seemed like the level there was significantly more advanced with more "belts" than BFC, and more traditional in terms of being more of a "dojo". 1200 baht a month is also reasonable. Free practise session. Could use an english update of their website though.

So for me its a choice between EMAC for BJJ or Thai-Japanese for Judo. Submissions or Ippon throws!

If you live in Bangkok and want to get involved with grappling I would recommend Bangkok Fight Club. They are by far the best club in Thailand at any price, by the way I find their prices to be very reasonable for what you get in instruction and organization. I have been around the block a few times and find BFC to be clean, structured, motivated, and looking to the future.

Judo is very popular in Thailand and should be available at many locations if you look around. Currently we have 2 separate Judo Classes with one starting at 5PM and another starting at 6PM in separate locations in Khon Kaen. There are no monthly fees for Judo as it is free here and is truly a club, one group is more organized here but both clubs have depth in coaches. If one is only interested in Judo and I suggest looking around close to your current location, you could also send me a PM if your serious and I will put you in touch with a representative in your area.

The current situation with Mekong Combat Club is we now have Combat Sambo from 2 to 5 PM and then work in with the Judo class at 5 till whenever Tuesday through Saturday. At around 6 PM till 8 its swimming at the Olympic Pool till it closes at 8 PM. We are currently seeking out foreign and Thai National heavy weights and bigger to work into the current training schedule. Khon Kaen is very economical and has some English teaching opportunities for anyone who can teach and wants to train too, contact me by PM here on this forum for details.

Hi!

We are going to be in Bangkok for two weeks in March and I am looking for a dojo for my 7 y.o to practise Judo while we are there. He has a tournament coming up after the Easter holidays and he doesn't want to miss his Judo lessons. If anyone here knows any Judo club or anyone willing to help my son, I would really appreciate it. He is about 50lbs (I think about 25kg) and has a white-yellow belt. Thanks.