Posting A Printer To Thailand With Ems -taxes?

photojourn

I'm currently in Australia and contemplating sending a used computer printer to myself in Thailand by EMS. There's plenty of warning about the heavy duty and taxes usually charged by services such as DHL, etc so EMS seems to be the way. It's still a fair sized box though and not likely to go unnoticed :o

The declared value would be about 2,000 B.

Any advice of likely taxes and charges?

Thanks

First, you should know that Thailand calculates the import taxes on the value of the imported good plus freight cost plus insurance (cif), if any.

So if you send your 2000 THB printer by EMS, the import duty is not only on the THB 2000, but also on the EMS cost and that makes the whole thing quite expensive.

And then you will have to go to the Central Post Office (in Bangkok it's behind the main Train Station), fill out many forms (take local professional help) and wait and wait and wait...

I am not sure if the duty is 10% or 30%, but you might want to consider buying a new printer here instead, make the calculations.

I'm currently in Australia and contemplating sending a used computer printer to myself in Thailand by EMS. There's plenty of warning about the heavy duty and taxes usually charged by services such as DHL, etc so EMS seems to be the way. It's still a fair sized box though and not likely to go unnoticed :o

The declared value would be about 2,000 B.

Any advice of likely taxes and charges?

Thanks

For once id have to agree with bendix,buy one here, however i am told by an aussie here that imports sailing equipment that AUS and Thailand have some sort of free trade agreement ! worth looking in to maybe, you will find with EMS they seem to chage about 25 per cent on lower priced declared items,..

I'm not sure that the customs boys who exercise completely arbitrary control over letting packages go through without some form of 'excise payment' care too much about any Australian / Thailand free trade agreement. They will be too busy sitting around, eating somtam, scratching their <deleted> and opening other parcels to see what can be appropriated to bother reading up on the latest WTO bulletins.

OP, buy a printer here.

:D Hmmm, WTO agreement. That'll go over well. Can't really imagine trying to explain that and having anyone stop scratching their arse long enough to listen.

Problem is, it's probably one of the best all-in-ones I've used. Great scanning, Good quality prints, decent speed.

Anyone have an idea best place to look for a Canon MP530 (not the 830 - it's not as good) and the price?

I thought the taxes, etc might make it uneconomical. It's just replacing it with something as good <sigh> :o