Is There A Whey Protein Monopoly In Thailand?

I heard a rumor a while back that Pro-Plus and Pro-Flex have a monopoly license from the Thai governemt on protein powders, or at least the whey variety.

Is there any truth to this?

complete rubbish.

Goodness knows who told you that.

In fact, any nutrition supplement such as Whey theoretically requires FDA approval; most of the other brands have not gone through the steps of getting it, I can think of a few that have from GNC, Musashi I think and a couple of others.

The FDA approval takes some time and some upfront investment. Since many Thais are lactose intolerant and not interested in being the next Jay Cutler or King Kamali, the market is rather small.

Even powerbar and the like are struggling a bit; the demand from adventure athletes is relatively low as well.

If you could be bothered, there would probably be some money to be made in bringing across Muscletech or the like; however the cost of goods is high, plus import duty etc to the point that the market price would give you a very slim margin. I've done the biz plan a few years ago on this exact idea for a client. However, with the USD so low now, might be a little different.

The real solution would be to create a local version using waste whey from Chokchai or some other dairy company...or doing a deal from NZ or Australia which both have FTAs and thus lower dairy duties. Even when I calculated 3 yrs ago, I think NZ was pretty tough though.

And then...where and how to distribute?

This is why a fair few foreign gyms just import a bit for their athletes and that';s about it. Reality is that the pro bodybuilders are all taking other things that result in 20 inch arms etc, not just some milkshakes :-)

Where can I buy two rolls of invisible linoleum to carry under my 20 inch arms ?

Naka.

aye, you must be the guy that was too wide to fit through the door and has to shuffle through sideways.

I did also see that you appear to have to waddle, as your thighs are so large you cannot walk normally. ;-)

Nice call Naka :o:D

"I heard...that Pro-Plus and Pro-Flex have a monopoly...on protein powders, or at least the whey variety."

No, it's the "mafia" or, as we call them out here "the two-bob squad".

sorry, I am totally confused. i live here and work here. Who exactly are you referring to that blocks the sale of other brands (which are as of today on sale at GNC)?

completely puzzled.

The way I was told it.. Whey protien (and all supplements) are classed almost as medicines.. Requiring large investment to get import approval and licensing.. Making it impossible to mail order in or do simple small startup imports.

Hence only a couple of big names have a near monopoly..

The way I was told it.. Whey protien (and all supplements) are classed almost as medicines.. Requiring large investment to get import approval and licensing.. Making it impossible to mail order in or do simple small startup imports.

COrrect in that yes, you need FDA approval as a product with medicinal claims (same as cosmetics etc).

So each SKU requires an individual FDA approval - not that expensive though, I think something like 12,000b per SKU.

But takes some time and effort.....

Monopoly no. Barrier to entry...yes.

I heard a rumor a while back that Pro-Plus and Pro-Flex have a monopoly license from the Thai governemt on protein powders, or at least the whey variety.

I guess it must be a triopoly (is that a word? or a place in Libya) as Body Ripped are also in the market.

SM seems to be on the money.

Aren't the 3 brands mentioned all manufactured here rather than imported?

Cheers

COrrect in that yes, you need FDA approval as a product with medicinal claims (same as cosmetics etc).

So each SKU requires an individual FDA approval - not that expensive though, I think something like 12,000b per SKU.

But takes some time and effort.....

Monopoly no. Barrier to entry...yes.

OK thats far cheaper than I imagined and surprised it has held people back.. My brother said it was REALLY expensive here compared to other places ??

Also why not sell one without any medicinal claims ?? Surely if its only a marketing restriction people that buy it know what it is ??

Also why not sell one without any medicinal claims ?? Surely if its only a marketing restriction people that buy it know what it is ??

I think even if it is classified as a health supplement then you need FDA approval; I am a bit rusty on the classifications, but I know there is not an easy way to bring it in and distribute without FDA approval; you could mail order it in (so move the purchase abroad) and get around it that way, but if you want to retail it, you need FDA approval and the ingredients/make up of the powder in the tub.

I might be a bit out on whether it is medicine or health supplement or something else.....so possibly there is some classification you could use to avoid having to get it, however I never persued that option when I did the work for the client a few years back because they wanted to go into the gyms and health markets, where people would want to see the FDA stamp of approval.

• 7 months later...

Let's make it more exciting and spin it in a way many loser farangs on this thread and Thais would prefer to spin it:

"It's the protein MAFIA!" :o

Edited by junkofdavid2

• 11 months later...
I got 60lbs of good quality whey protein shipped over from America last year, didnt have any problems. After paying all the shipping and tax it worked out about the same as what I pay for the same brand in the UK.

Who did you use Jared?