Getting Reliable Brand Name Items In Cambodia Or Vietnam

vagabond48

I will be going to Cambodia and going overland. I will eventually get to PP. I need some outdoor clothing and a backpack. I know some of the clothes I have bought in the US was made in Cambodia. Are there import/export stores selling reliable brand names at a discounted price and not knockoffs?

I may continue to Saigon. Is Vietnam a better place to purchase these items?

Thanks

I was in Vietnam last week and while I did see a lot of "Real" western brands there such as LV, Tod's, Bose, Samsonite etc they were very expensivecompared to nearby countries such as Thailand and Singapore.

I did not see any "real" outdoor clothing such as North Face or backpacks but i was not really looking for this.

I did see a huge amount of knockoff bags and rucksacks etc as well as fake north face jackets etc though.

"Real"name brand stuff with no flaws and the barnad label...unlikely. But in Cambodia you will find abundent clothing for sale in the market that includes rejects from the factories, often for small flaws that aren't noticeable. They may niot have the brand label, tho.

Also, in terms of clothing, you will find mostly summer clothes fior obvious reasons...not much local market for cold weather gear.

"Real"name brand stuff with no flaws and the barnad label...unlikely. But in Cambodia you will find abundent clothing for sale in the market that includes rejects from the factories, often for small flaws that aren't noticeable. They may niot have the brand label, tho.

Also, in terms of clothing, you will find mostly summer clothes fior obvious reasons...not much local market for cold weather gear.

Thanks all.

I do a lot of bicycle riding and want to get rugged short pants (not bicycle shorts) with lots of pockets like the Columbia's that I have. The 2 Columbia's that I bought nearly 2 years ago in the USA have need to be replaced soon. I also am looking for long pants that converts to short pants like the North Face I have, but made in Bangladesh. The thin fabric short pants they sell here in Chiang Mai might last 3 to 6 months if I am lucky and have bulky pockets.

even the "brand" stores are fake.

I could tell you stories of a mate who only bought "brand names" only to have them fall apart after a month, his shoes lasted 2 days, just dont do it.

If you think your gunna get brand name stuff in Cambo and Viet then you believe in fairies.

good luck.

HCM (Saigon) will be your best bet they do have numerous designer/label stores - even has the likes of Cartier, Prada, Louis Vitton etc.

A quick look on the North Face store shows the closest NF shop in the region is:

Thailand

Central World Plaza

Central World Plaza, 3/F Zone A,

Room 317, Rachadumri Rd.

Pathumwan, Bangkok 10330

662-613-1450

Columbia haven't any shops in the SE Asia mainland.

The material they use in the copies is a dead give away I purchase a pair of North Face long trousers that the lower half unzip in 2004 and hiked and worked in them a treated them with complete neglect but they are still in one piece and look ok. The material is thick twine polyester where as the copies of my trousers I've seen tend to be made from the really thin and weak polyester fabric. The pockets (particularly the velcro) normally fall off in a day or so!

When buying in any 'geniune' shops they will offer you the usual kind of guarantee these shops give so you'll know they are real.

But to bluntly say you cannot buy genuine labelled good in Vietnam is very wrong!

Although every man and his dog knows if you want the best value and shopping experience then you go to Singapore! :o

Thanks all.

I do a lot of bicycle riding and want to get rugged short pants (not bicycle shorts) with lots of pockets like the Columbia's that I have. The 2 Columbia's that I bought nearly 2 years ago in the USA have need to be replaced soon. I also am looking for long pants that converts to short pants like the North Face I have, but made in Bangladesh. The thin fabric short pants they sell here in Chiang Mai might last 3 to 6 months if I am lucky and have bulky pockets.

I hope you are of 'Asian' type stature too, cos Asian large sizes are very small compared to western sizes. :D:o:D I too ride a MTB and in larger towns 'good' bicycle shops selling clothing can sometimes be found BTW.

Dave

The shorts you want to buy can be found in Thailand in Camel brand. They have fake items (in Thailand) with wording Cami and Adventure something which looks similar to Camel.

I used Vietnamese clothes for 31 years until I moved to Thailand. There are many reliable brand names but you must know where to buy. There are low quality clothes also, like you get an adidas pull over for a couple of dollars. If people buy from markets or on the street, chances are they get the fake items. Go to department stores / shopping malls and look for those shops selling only their brands.

From my experience, many clothes I saw in Singapore are made in Thailand.

even the "brand" stores are fake.

I could tell you stories of a mate who only bought "brand names" only to have them fall apart after a month, his shoes lasted 2 days, just dont do it.

If you think your gunna get brand name stuff in Cambo and Viet then you believe in fairies.

good luck.

I remember a few years ago when Nike checked out a number of the brand shops selling their shoes in Hanoi and found they were ALL selling fakes.