When You See A Thai And Farang Together, Is Your First Thought That They Are Romantically Involved?

submaniac

The first impression meter  

139 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really like that last sentence, kat.

Thanks kitty-kat. :o

We should get a room where we can have a nice, fragrant cup of tea or coffee with lovely desserts. I know just the place Kitty when I visit again!

I think most people who look down nose at Thai / farang couples, are racist.

In my home country I go out with local gals one third my age.

Let me be seen with a lil Thai gal, tongues start wagging.

The average person's mind dirt tracks, sad for them.

If of a similar ethnicity, there is no problem, could be lover, dorta or wife even.

Pzzzzzzes me orf completely.

Scotland done.

I am a people watcher - you can set me down in Schipol Airport 6 hours before China Airways leaves for Bangers and i shall be entertained for those hours.

But, the first time i was in Thailand i had eyes like saucers watching the older men with the younger women (i had heard about IT but never seen), the ladyboys, and also older men with younger men. I am not shocked and took it in my stride along with everything else - the sights, sounds, beaches food, ray bans etc. But i can imagine for some people it is really a big culture shock.

And would someone here somewhere get rid of all those (probably big fat hairy males) who think that every farang woman is a nasty fat, feminazi bitch

Some of us are quite nice. :o Thanx

It depends how dark you are and what dress you wear. if you're really really dark and wearing cheap clothing and dressed like a slut then yes, I would think that you are a hooker. But who cares..... why worry what others (strangers) think.

What the heck has colour got to do with it?????

Most hookers in the tourist side of the prostitution industry are dark. That's not to say that it automatically makes you a hooker, of course, it's all the other 'tells' (as mentioned by others) that go with it. If it makes you feel any better, the same applies to hookers in the Thai side of the prostitution industry. Some of my construction workers, messengers, drivers, etc. have wives/girlfriends that are pros, and they are just as easy to spot. And no, it's not just because they are light or dark skinned or from Chiang Rai or Buriram.

:o

Edited by Heng

Most hookers in the tourist side of the prostitution industry are dark. That's not to say that it automatically makes you a hooker, of course, it's all the other 'tells' (as mentioned by others) that go with it. If it makes you feel any better, the same applies to hookers in the Thai side of the prostitution industry. Some of my construction workers, messengers, drivers, etc. have wives/girlfriends that are pros, and they are just as easy to spot. And no, it's not just because they are light or dark skinned or from Chiang Rai or Buriram.

:D

I see! So this is where they've come from those dark skinned beauties......Next stop Chiang Rai or Burriram!!!! LOL :o 555555

I shall say, age gap is big factor .You couldnt imagine a 18 year old Asian hanging out with a 60 year old farang. But in other country like Philippines,Singapore, going out with farang whose about your age is completely normal ..Ohh, may be because people around them can certainly understand what they are talking about.But on gay issue, I guess, actions speaks better .On being a rent boy, I guess thats too obvious.

I had a similar situation years ago, when always going to a pub in deptford ( for us londoners , you know that is one tough area ) - The Governor of the Pub asked me " Is your older friend coming to meet you tonight " ? thinking I was gay - I had to tell him the truth - " no that's my old man ", he wants another 40 quid to go down the betting shop with !!

try not to misjudge any situation :o !!

• 9 months later...
It could be that I'm reading your OP incorrectly, submaniac, but you seem to be uncomfortable with the thought of others possibly viewing you and your friend as "a couple". Ok, fair enough. But you conclude by saying that if you see a Thai and Farang in each other's company, you assume that they are together. Odd.

Personally, I can't say that thought has ever entered my head when I'm with Thai men, of whatever age. But then maybe I'm being naive. Or unobservant of those around me.

You know you are absolutely correct. But I don't think it is inconsistent. Thinking about it, it could just be that if it was me looking in on me and my friend, well that is what I would think if I saw us there. And my thoughts are I think I would be more uncomfortable with the idea of people thinking I am 'paid' to be a boyfriend. ANd I will tell you another truth, that whenever I see a young Thai with an older farang, I seriously do wonder sometimes if they are paid to be there. I just see it so many times.

And my thoughts are just initial thoughts; I certainly would not make any serious decisions based upon this. It is just a 'first thing that pops into my head'.

And once again I hope I am not offending anyone, I am seriously curious if anyone has the same ideas as me.

the only way i would have thought you were a couple/paid prossie/bar boy,is if you were being effeminate,other than that i would maybe think you were the son of his wife or gf.act camp and you are camp.

Unfortunately Farangs intend to be stereotyped here in Thailand with certain idiosyncrasies attached to them.

Both my Thai wife and I are both in our 50s now and would say we appear as a normal couple. But 20 years ago my wife refused to walk with me in Thailand, as she believed everyone would view her as a prostitute.

Other types of stereotyping by Thais and some Farangs are:

Older Farang with younger Thai girl: he must be a paedophile.

Older Farang with younger Thai guy: they must be gay.

Must admit I have been guilty of snap judgments and coming to the same conclusions, myself.

People should keep in mind that: the obvious is not always the fact.

If I see what looks like 2 straight guys I think, 2 straight guys. If either one looks like he has some sugar in his tank, then I think its a gay couple. To the OP, do you dress gay? Do you spike up you hair trying to look like some "my name is Rain" wanna be Korean pop star? If so then probably some of the looks you get are warranted.

But if your a normal guy like ya said, then I wouldn't worry about it at all.

For a few years after I married my wife, I absolutely hated the treatment she got when we went to hotels in Thailand...(There is a 30 year difference in our ages, and she was treated like a hooker by the hotels). I got in the face of more than one person over this.

She had never bothered to do the paperwork to change her ID card.

Finally I had had enough, and told her to go and change it....

A few years later we were talking about something, and she mentioned while she did not especially want to give up her family name, it has really turned out well, as now her last name is distinctively farang, and she get treated much better when she goes to shop or look at something and pull out a credit card with a distinctive Thai 1st name and a Farang last name.

Let me remind everyone that discussion of prostitution or bar girls/boys and such is against forum rules.

Please refrain from doing so.

Im also editing part of the topic title, so that it does not lead the discussion in the above mentioned direction.

cheers.

Mig 16,

I don't like the editing, we are all over 18 and know what the world is about.

Life is what life is.

I remember when the group that just got kicked out came in we had to watch what we said this thing today is just general talk.