Chiang Mai Immigration Info - Appointments

afjim

I am curious how reliable the appointment system is.   If you have an appointment lets say at 2 p.m., are they on the mark, or do you still have to have a que number and wait for that number to be called, or do you get called in by name in or around your appointment time?   My appointment will be for 1 yr, retirement extension.

Also, would like to know what color background is required for your photo.    I believe it is blue, but would like an update on that issue.

Thanks All

Typically, the appointment time is closely honored.....likely with 5-10 minutes of your scheduled time (occasionally even a few minutes early).  The problem, though, is whether you have to have your paperwork pre-checked by the people in the "tent" area (if so, then obviously you need to be there early enough to go through that process.....which could be 30-45+ minutes earlier in the day).

It used to be said that a medium/light blue background was required for photos; however, I've used photos with white background the last few times (couple of extensions, couple of re-entry permits) I've been to CM Immigration.  So it would appear that either a white or blue background is fine these days.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

36 minutes ago, afjim said:

Thanks much for your report.     I assume I will still have to check in, at the counter inside the building, is that correct?

Not sure which one you are doing, for online e-extension you can ignore the metal detector people as well as the volunteers and walk straight to the glass boxes with real officers outside on the left. They will then give you a number, after you can drop it off right at the center where you walk in the real building and usually your up within 10 mins after that.

Never been there longer than 10-15 mins since they have e-extensions (after they messed up once), my suggestions is to not tell the entire world about this too. It was amazing to see most were waiting since hours and apparently unwilling to pay the 500 baht extra or unaware it exists.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

9 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

It was amazing to see most were waiting since hours and apparently unwilling to pay the 500 baht extra or unaware it exists.

What is the 500 baht extra for?

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Dante99 said:

What is the 500 baht extra for?

That's the e-extension fee on top of the normal 1900 which you pay online when applying for this with VFS. Benefit is all paperwork is approved online, visa too, then it is already pre-filled and you just print all + sign + drop off and you get the real webcam photo and stamp in person in 10 minutes time only.

I sip a coffee, scan copy print all papers, upload them + pay the 2500 baht, a few days later I get a message its done + all files. Print them, sign them, show up on the date time I picked + in and out within 10-15 minutes max. It also feels comfortable as you already know it is approved upfront.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

It's the same principle in terms of having an e-appointment, the point is you are not waiting in cow stall lines + everything goes very fast. If he has an appointment for a yearly extension, it comes down to the same, you would be dealt with right on your time, I think at most then maybe 30 minutes.

55 minutes ago, afjim said:

Thanks much for your report.     I assume I will still have to check in, at the counter inside the building, is that correct?

Yes, you still have to check at the info counter straight ahead of you when entering the building (but, again, they might tell you to go get your paperwork pre-checked and obtain a number from the tent people outside).  Make sure you have a printout (hard copy) of your appointment as that's the first thing the inside desk will want to see.

As to the 500 fee and e-extension fee the poster above mentions, I have no clue about that at all (never heard of it here in CM).

This is how it worked out for me two months ago, I went there a couple of days before and one of the volunteers explained the procedure to me:

With an appointment you can ignore the first booth and go directly to the tent where they check the documents, when the person being processed at that time is finished just go to the window and show your appointment, you will be handled in between. Then go inside the main building and repeat this when the officer is finished with the current customer and you will be serviced directly. After that you follow the normal procedure: wait for your name to be called etc. It took me about an hour. Joop

Just looked at the online booking service for Division 5

For some reason Chiang Mai only offer bookings for 4 types of extensions and Thai Family is not available 

All the other offices I checked, Chiang Rai, Mae Sai, Lampang, Lang Phun, Mae Hon Song, Pai, all had many more types of extensions available for booking

Edited by narkeddiver

I also asked the same question of immigration,was told that it was fully booked to the end of the year.! Was also told that too many people had used it, so it was cancelled in January ( hard to believe).

Have had no success with VFS service,unable to register, just get the spinning wheel! Anyone have advice on to how to register.

Edited by clives

17 minutes ago, clives said:

I also asked the same question of immigration,was told that it was fully booked to the end of the year.! Was also told that too many people had used it, so it was cancelled in January ( hard to believe).

They were wrong if that's what they told you.  The appointment system goes out only 90 days and almost every slot is full for almost the entire time period.  Just checked and saw a couple of times for August 30th and September 11th.  To have some assurance of getting an appointment time, one should go attempt it early on the 90th day out.

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, clives said:

Where did you see that ? The Chiang Mai Immigration Office online does not show for Thai family. (I should have stated that in my original post)

Ok, I misunderstood your comment.  Yea, the CM appointment site no longer has family/marriage extensions listed (only business, volunteer, education, and retirement).

On 6/11/2024 at 1:20 PM, afjim said:

I am curious how reliable the appointment system is.   If you have an appointment lets say at 2 p.m., are they on the mark, or do you still have to have a que number and wait for that number to be called, or do you get called in by name in or around your appointment time?   My appointment will be for 1 yr, retirement extension.

Also, would like to know what color background is required for your photo.    I believe it is blue, but would like an update on that issue.

Thanks All

When trying to get an appointment you need to keep checking daily for when

the date you are looking for opens up,weeks ahead ,don't expect just to open

the app and get a booking ,I believe they only have 4 a day ,so you need to be

quick ,as they quickly fill up . good luck

regards worgeordie

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

On 6/13/2024 at 12:50 PM, clives said:

Hard when the category doesn't exist.

Yup, something fishy goes on at CM immigration. In Bangkok the spouse category is there, AND time slots are available for next month. Here in CM, they removed it without explanation and everything is filled up. It was not like that in 2022. Also VFS's e-extension does not handle the most common ones... retirement and spouse ("Only for family member of foreigner (not Thai nationality) who has residence certificate and alien registration certificate of the alien granted residence permit in Thailand."). It is all half baked. I also do not like the tent they started using since one or two years. Now you have two wait 2 queues. It can all be done so much more efficient. Digital and all that stuff and do something about the endless copies (of copies) same same yearly... at the very least a decent appointment system.

Edited by Blablaat
  • Thumbs Up 1

Is CM immigration still queued out every day of the week these days ?

I remember Big Joke slapped it into shape years back but wonder if it slipped back in standards

All done on purpose before...slow..so you will use agents I believe...while the

rest suffer who won't pay agents..it was gruelling so it was.

• Like 1