Marriage Visa New Regulations

I have been on a marriage visa for 3 years now, I never leave the country. In March 2007, when I applied for the visa again they said this is the last year. Next year you need to present info showing you make 40,000 baht a month, 400,000 baht is not acceptable.  

My friend in Chiangmai said that a few months ago he applied for a visa, no problem just showed 400,000 baht in the bank.

I live in Phuket, what are the current regulations??

I have been on a marriage visa for 3 years now, I never leave the country. In March 2007, when I applied for the visa again they said this is the last year. Next year you need to present info showing you make 40,000 baht a month, 400,000 baht is not acceptable.  

My friend in Chiangmai said that a few months ago he applied for a visa, no problem just showed 400,000 baht in the bank.

40,000 Baht a month income unless you are grandfathered, which you are.

Then it is 40,000 a month, if you cannot show this it is 400,000 in a Thai bank.

Nothing has changed.

So you are saying that I do not have to show monthly salary if I can show 400,000 baht in the Bank. The grandfather clause means that if I have been doing this for 3 years I can continue this process, am I correct?

40,000 Baht a month income unless you are grandfathered, which you are.

Then it is 40,000 a month, if you cannot show this it is 400,000 in a Thai bank.

Nothing has changed.

If you can not use 40k method you should be allowed to continue to use the 400k system as grandfathered. But that will depend on your immigration office. I suspect they have changed from what they earlier told you; but only success will prove it. Has anyone used the 400k in Phuket recently?

I went to Phuket immigration today. After being ridiculed by the officer on duty, he said that there is no such thing as grandfather clause.  He said I have to show a minimum of 40,000 baht a month income either with thai work permit or 

get affadavit from my embassy

that I earn more than 40,000 baht abroad.

If this is correct, do I also need to show 400,000 baht in the bank? Does this mean the money has to stay in my bank account 3 months prior to the date of application as well (Full 400,000 baht)?

It does not seem to match with regulations, that I read about but who knows?

If you can not use 40k method you should be allowed to continue to use the 400k system as grandfathered. But that will depend on your immigration office. I suspect they have changed from what they earlier told you; but only success will prove it. Has anyone used the 400k in Phuket recently?

I went to Phuket immigration today. After being ridiculed by the officer on duty, he said that there is no such thing as grandfather clause.  He said I have to show a minimum of 40,000 baht a month income either with thai work permit or 

If this is correct, do I also need to show 400,000 baht in the bank? Does this mean the money has to stay in my bank account 3 months prior to the date of application as well (Full 400,000 baht)?

It has always been one or the other. Now it is 40,000 per month income and that is the only option for a person married to a Thai

It has always been one or the other. Now it is 40,000 per month income and that is the only option for a person married to a Thai

I got my visa in Bangkok last october and that is exactly what i was told.

Nidge

Para six of Police Order 606/2006 section 7.17 clearly defines the continued use of 400k as an option for those already on extensions of stay;

(6) In case of the applicant who is

married to a Thai wife, one of them

or both of them need to have the

total annual income that is

averaged out not less than 40,000

Baht per month. Except for the case

that the said foreign national has

entered Thailand before this Order

is enforced and the foreign national

has been permitted to stay in the

Kingdom by the result of having

married to a Thai wife, then if the

applicant does not have the said

income, then, the latest 3 months

records of the account book of any

Bank in Thailand with the account

name of either or both parties need

to have the amount of money not

less than 400,000 Baht.

If as you say you have been getting this for 3 years then your are entitled to do so again. Try another office. Probably Bangkok.

If this is correct, do I also need to show 400,000 baht in the bank?

If you meet the criteria of 40K per month, yopu don't need the 400K in a bank.

The grandfather clause does exist but depends on the Immigration office if they follow the regulations in the Police Order. Just depends on their interpretation. Our lawyers always ask for a higher ranking officer if the officer has a new interpretation of the Police Order.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com