Rammed Up The Arse When Stationary

torrenova

Driving up Soi Khaotalo Pattaya this evening at around 18:45 and a couple of hundred yeards before I turn off to where i want to go, a Mitsubishi G-Wagon stops to turn right. I stop behind and after a few seconds, bang, a motorbike skids and hits the rear nearside quarter of the truck.

I jump out and here's this kid on the road, his bike in pieces adn my tail, bumper, back side panel and wheerarch as well as the lights damaged. Amazingly the little fuc_ker doesn't make a run for it. I phone my missus who is only a few minutes away and he's on the phone to someone. I photograph him, his bike, the truck, road etc.

By the time the missus arrives, there is quite a crowd. No out of all the jabbering and jesticulating I get the gist. Phone the insurance and say the bike driver ran away. fuc_k that. If he doesn't want insurance or plod he can pay. He admits his guilt and says through my missus he will pay or his family will at least. OK, but they want me to take it now to Somchai. No no no. Its off to the garage we go after we see how bad it is in the morning. Hopefully for him it will only be removeable marks on the paint and a new light guard as well as a new wheelarch extension.

However, if it is a paint job, then I don't think Somchai is going to be using his 4" brush to fix my 7 month old Isuzu and there we have a problem. That will all be evident tomorrow.

My main question is this. The bumper is chrome and plastic. The plastic looks like it has taken the brunt of the force and is cut into as if with a knife. Only a bit as I can tell in the dark but whereas in the UK it would be an automatic new one as the old one cannot be made new again, I doubt that is the situation here.

So if tomorrow it appears worse than I am prepared to let Somchai fix and I go through the insurance, then will the insurance go after the guilty party ? I have his ID card and my missus knows his aunty who has a beauty salon on the estate near us. it was all very amicable and whilst I don't want them to suffer undue hardship, I am not going to just put it on my insurance and have my premium hiked later this year and neither am I going to let Somchai fuc_k around with it if I don't think he can handle the work which with paintwork, I won't let him do anyway.

Comments please.

By the way. The driver was 16, no helmet, likely no insurance though not pissed as far as i could tell. They were the ones who did not want plod but they admitted liability easily.

Edited by torrenova

Driving up Soi Khaotalo Pattaya this evening at around 18:45 and a couple of hundred yeards before I turn off to where i want to go, a Mitsubishi G-Wagon stops to turn right. I stop behind and after a few seconds, bang, a motorbike skids and hits the rear nearside quarter of the truck.

I jump out and here's this kid on the road, his bike in pieces adn my tail, bumper, back side panel and wheerarch as well as the lights damaged. Amazingly the little fuc_ker doesn't make a run for it. I phone my missus who is only a few minutes away and he's on the phone to someone. I photograph him, his bike, the truck, road etc.

By the time the missus arrives, there is quite a crowd. No out of all the jabbering and jesticulating I get the gist. Phone the insurance and say the bike driver ran away. fuc_k that. If he doesn't want insurance or plod he can pay. He admits his guilt and says through my missus he will pay or his family will at least. OK, but they want me to take it now to Somchai. No no no. Its off to the garage we go after we see how bad it is in the morning. Hopefully for him it will only be removeable marks on the paint and a new light guard as well as a new wheelarch extension.

However, if it is a paint job, then I don't think Somchai is going to be using his 4" brush to fix my 7 month old Isuzu and there we have a problem. That will all be evident tomorrow.

My main question is this. The bumper is chrome and plastic. The plastic looks like it has taken the brunt of the force and is cut into as if with a knife. Only a bit as I can tell in the dark but whereas in the UK it would be an automatic new one as the old one cannot be made new again, I doubt that is the situation here.

So if tomorrow it appears worse than I am prepared to let Somchai fix and I go through the insurance, then will the insurance go after the guilty party ? I have his ID card and my missus knows his aunty who has a beauty salon on the estate near us. it was all very amicable and whilst I don't want them to suffer undue hardship, I am not going to just put it on my insurance and have my premium hiked later this year and neither am I going to let Somchai fuc_k around with it if I don't think he can handle the work which with paintwork, I won't let him do anyway.

Comments please.

By the way. The driver was 16, no helmet, likely no insurance though not pissed as far as i could tell. They were the ones who did not want plod but they admitted liability easily.

The gay forum will love this headline ! :D id say on a 6 month old car get the main dealer to fix it and dont spare the expense, if that means insurance and a possible hike then so be it,. i actually think you were lucky that a load of thais didnt come running out of the woodwork and say you reversed into him, its happened before,. :o

hi torrenova , sorry for your ''loss of arse'', i can feel the pain ,literaly (previous xperience).. But hey, what's up with ur reluctance to involve insurer?!?>> It is NOT UK ! remember that ! ur insurance premium, will only go down, no matter how much u'll use'em in a year>>b'coz it IS linked to the Value of ur car, NOT ur claims (anyway, why did u bought insurance in the first place than?! Ad besides IT IS NOT UR fault .. I had a gal drove her bike right into my new car.. Anyway financially, it is easier on both the biker guy (they'll probably get something nominal, like 1-2k baht from him & let him on his merry way) & you, they'll give u list of shops u can take ur car to repair in the next 6 months ..

But do beware > it'll still be Somchai type shops (just the one's that have agreement with ur insurer) . So don't expect royal treatment from them as well ! But all in all, remember , what ur insurance is for (guess it's 1st class one) .. I had claims in the first year & still they sent me much lower quote for the second ! No worries @ All

In the end they paid for it. Why not use the insurance ? well why ? It takes forever, the truck stays in the garage and they fanny around before it gets done. If they admit it and just sort it out then everyone is happy and it was fixed in one day.

Could I presume that if I used my insurance that my insurance would go after the guy who hit me and as he had no insurance and get him to pay or have him nicked for no license or insurance ? Thought not.

Edited by torrenova

In a similar situation (I was stationary) my 4x4 was hit by a private taxi. Obviously his fault and he admitted so. However, he had no insurance. Accidents happen. Instead of the allowing the possibility of it taking longer while the insurance got money from him etc, I just permitted him to leave the scene and told the insurance that he drove off (I’d taken photos of him, his licence etc just in case this backfired on me later). The insurance wanted guy wanted me to go to the police, but I just said that I’ll accept full responsibility.

I took my car to the dealer and travelled back to my home country for Christmas the next day. The day after I returned from overseas I collected my car. My insurance covered all costs, my inconvenience was minimal. And, surprisingly enough my premium didn’t increase, the reason for this as I understand it is that the cost of fixing the damage is below a certain price. My car is rather an expensive one and I don’t imagine that a new bumper and rear wing are inexpensive, hence my surprise at my yearly insurance premium actually being reduced by 20%.

To the Op. I’m not certain that if you were to claim on your insurance and get necessary fix done by a ‘specified dealer’ that your insurance premium will remain the same or increase. Its worth checking out.

You Brits have the most colourful way of saying you were rear-ended....

We do have a colourful phrase for almost every thing! True story and I hope that no-one takes offence. I was stuck in traffic on Queen's Drive, Liverpool (I had forgot that Liverpool were playing at home) and at the side of me was a tearful kid about 18 years old on a moped. He got off the bike, looked at the damaged tail light and number plate. I wound my window down and shouted to him "What's up?" He replied "I've just been hit up the arse." I just winked at him and said "Oooh, lucky you!" With that, he just collapsed in a fit of laughter. I think he drove off in a happier mood.

Mods - if you think that this may offend, please remove it.

Edited by mr_hippo

I'd have used the insurance in a shot if:

1) I did not have to deal with the police

2) Did not have to bribe the police - potentially

3) The garage would have given me a hire car

4) it could have been authorised in a few minutes

5) It could have been returned the next day or before the hire car payments ran out

However, no hire car, need to involve police, lose truck for a few days to a week etc.

You Brits have the most colourful way of saying you were rear-ended....

We do have a colourful phrase for almost every thing! True story and I hope that no-one takes offence. I was stuck in traffic on Queen's Drive, Liverpool (I had forgot that Liverpool were playing at home) and at the side of me was a tearful kid about 18 years old on a moped. He got off the bike, looked at the damaged tail light and number plate. I wound my window down and shouted to him "What's up?" He replied "I've just been hit up the arse." I just winked at him and said "Oooh, lucky you!" With that, he just collapsed in a fit of laughter. I think he drove off in a happier mood.

Mods - if you think that this may offend, please remove it.

I agree, rear ended could be misconstrued!

Hey mr hippo, what are you doing in Liverpool - my home for the past 20 years, I'm originally from Dublin. Are you fom the pool?

Hey mr hippo, what are you doing in Liverpool - my home for the past 20 years, I'm originally from Dublin. Are you fom the pool?

I was born in Prescot - the first recorded mention of Liverpool was in the 1100s as "Liverpool - a small fishing village , 10 miles distant from Prescot"! I spent my childhood there before emigrating to the Costa del Mersey - Widnes :o