Magic

j0hnga1t

If you drop your defensiveness for a second, you might see the point I'm trying to make.

Namely, the effects of belief (whatever it is - good luck amulet, social status, wealth) are real. That is, the belief alters the perception of the believing person, and influences them. Whether or not the belief can be justified is irrelevant, and as far as the OP is concerned is of secondary consideration.

In fact, justification is not even a prerequisite for belief, it only serves to strengthen it. As you say, nothing is certain, although collective belief certainly helps.

Do amulets have magical powers? If the wearer believes they have, and if this belief alters his or her perception, and therefore the way he or she responds and reacts to the environment, however subtle, then yes, one could say amulets have power of some sort.

Magical? don't know about that. The native American Indians in their naivety probably believed Christopher Columbus was a magician.

I guess the point I am trying to make is that it doesn't matter if someones faith gives an amulet power or not, I don't have trouble believing faith can do that, but either way the end result is counter productive in terms of Buddhist practice.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AS long as Thai people know that amulets have nothing to do with what the Buddha taught and that monks keep strictly away from them then I see it as no worse than any other mindless superstition

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/an...5.175.than.html

Endowed with these five qualities, a lay follower is an outcaste of a lay follower, a stain of a lay follower, a dregs of a lay follower. Which five?

1. He/she does not have conviction [in the Buddha's Awakening];

2. is unvirtuous;

3. is eager for protective charms & ceremonies;

4. trusts protective charms & ceremonies, not kamma;

5. and searches for recipients of his/her offerings outside [of the Sangha], and gives offerings there First."

"..Endowed with these five qualities, a lay follower is a jewel of a lay follower, a lotus of a lay follower, a fine flower of a lay follower. Which five?

1. He/she has conviction;

2. is virtuous;

3. is not eager for protective charms & ceremonies;

4. trusts kamma, not protective charms & ceremonies;

5. does not search for recipients of his/her offerings outside [of the Sangha], and gives offerings here first..."

Edited by clausewitz

• 1 month later...