What Would You Do?

kolasaab

If you have been used to living on much more then 33k is hard to imagine, but for many (maybe 85% of Thais) 33kbht a month is not that bad.

And all things being equal I'd rather be 51 living in Thailand on 33k a month than the UK taking home 1000pounds a month or Japan with 200,000yen a month. And I guess that is the kind of choice the OP is making.

So my spreadsheet suggests that he can have about 33k bht a month till 66. From 66 use his gov pension to make up to 33k again. At 80 he is down to 23k only.

Your spreadsheet is not taking INFLATION into account.

Read what DistortedLink had to say about Inflation

I live in Chiang Mai and my basic monthly cost of living expenses is 26000 per month. I would say that's about the minimum we can get away with unless you don't mind living on the absolute basics. 12 years ago I could comfortably live on 8000 baht per month.

So in twelve years DistortedLink has seen a in excess of a threefold increase the cost of living - He is also suggesting that despite more expendature he is also experiencing rop in the standard of living.

Stick inflation into your spread sheet and the reality of living on 33k up to the age of 66 and 23K a month by 80 is not pleasent.

I suggest the most likely senario is five good years, followed by a return to the UK - almost cetainly no chance of getting a job at anywhere near current pay rates and home becomes not some dream retirement in Thailand but a bedsit above a chip shop.

NO....my spreadsheet is assuming inflation.

It assumes that UK banks pay 2% more than inflation. I agree that this is an assumption that may not be true, but historically it has been so. (for a none tax payer)

5 Good years in Thailand????? so he spends 20kGBP a year? Blimey that's more than average take home earnings in the UK.

NO....my spreadsheet is assuming inflation.

It assumes that UK banks pay 2% more than inflation. I agree that this is an assumption that may not be true, but historically it has been so. (for a none tax payer)

You are going to have to explain to me what the inflation rate in the UK has to do with the inflation rate in Thailand.

If the guy is living in Thailand then the income on investment gets spent in Thailand - It is the cost of living in Thailand and the increase in that cost of living (inflation) that defines how much of goods and services he can buy in Thailand.

The experience of DistortedLink (and others) is that inflation rates in Thailand are very (extremely) high - A case can also be made that inflation for foreigners (because they consume goods and services in a different manner than do Thais are a great deal higher than the inflation suffered by Thais (So its no good reference the cost of living for Thais - It does not equate to the cost of living for foreigners living in Thailand).

So much for your 'Taking Inflation into account'

5 Good years in Thailand????? so he spends 20kGBP a year? Blimey that's more than average take home earnings in the UK.

Its only £20K per year if he makes no capital purchases - He'll also have Bht800K (about £13K) tied up in a Thai bank making next to no interest in order to comply with Retirement Visa Regulations.

Bed-sit Land Beckons!

Edited by GuestHouse

Ok lets take the last 12 years as a start for seeing how inflation is different. Things I can remember from my first trip to Thailandwhich by chance was 12 years ago.

Street meal..................................25bht........................now 35bht

2nd class train fare CM to BK........200bht......................now 300bht

Cheap guesthouse in CM................150bht......................now 300bht

exchange rate....1997 36 to the GBP...............................now 63

Now I admit that my figures maybe wrong, I cant remember 100% but even so.......Thailand has not suffered rapid inflation as far as I can see.

Yes, oil is now higher as everywhere...yes the islands are a lot more expensive, but I think outside BK, phuket Hua Hin etc costs here have risen in line with UK inflation strangely enough. Prices have gone up where standards have gone up of course. And there is more to buy here and things like ADSL. But Thailand's bht costs are no more than double I'd guess. But in GBP terms I'd say no more than about 50% more. Which is what UK inflation has risen by in 12 years.

Many people say that you can rent a house in CM, South, Issan etc for 3000bht a month. I dont know, but housing inflation has risen by more than most things in the last 12 years everywhere in the world. I bet 12 years ago it was about 1500bht Both being about 40 quid a month. (so down in real UK terms)

A days wages at a crap job in the Uk will pay for a months rent today. I bet its the same in 10 years.

Ok lets take the last 12 years as a start for seeing how inflation is different. Things I can remember from my first trip to Thailandwhich by chance was 12 years ago.

Street meal..................................25bht........................now 35bht

2nd class train fare CM to BK........200bht......................now 300bht

Cheap guesthouse in CM................150bht......................now 300bht

exchange rate....1997 36 to the GBP...............................now 63

Now I admit that my figures maybe wrong, I cant remember 100% but even so.......Thailand has not suffered rapid inflation as far as I can see.

Yes, oil is now higher as everywhere...yes the islands are a lot more expensive, but I think outside BK, phuket Hua Hin etc costs here have risen in line with UK inflation strangely enough. Prices have gone up where standards have gone up of course. And there is more to buy here and things like ADSL. But Thailand's bht costs are no more than double I'd guess. But in GBP terms I'd say no more than about 50% more. Which is what UK inflation has risen by in 12 years.

Many people say that you can rent a house in CM, South, Issan etc for 3000bht a month. I dont know, but housing inflation has risen by more than most things in the last 12 years everywhere in the world. I bet 12 years ago it was about 1500bht Both being about 40 quid a month. (so down in real UK terms)

A days wages at a crap job in the Uk will pay for a months rent today. I bet its the same in 10 years.

What the hel_l is street meat? stewed rat, or cat ala orange?

Sory old chap, but you dont know what you are talking about.

I have keep my expensiture records here for the last 15 years.

Yes, some things havent changed much price wise, but the crunch factor is food and services.

When the exchange rates were only 36 baht = £1, bank interest rates at the time were as high as 13 %. Anyone with 4000000 baht invested with a Thai bank, could live off the interest 12 years ago.

Some price examples for 1 month, 12 years ago and now for me and my family here:

Then Now

Electric 200b 1500b

Food 3000b 8000b

Water meter 20b 160b

Petrol 12b lit 33b lit

Gas (cooking) 90b 280b

Cigs 12b 35b

Can soft drink 7b 13b

Drink water 20lit 10b 18b

Taxi fare (Samtoa) 5b 20b

Plus clothing, social, medical, alcoholic drinks all costs have increased in the last 10 years.

Edited by distortedlink

You're lucky. Most women I know who would consider a relationship with a Farang demand AT LEAST 5,000 per month, plus other extras such as shopping and you will likely get hit up to subsidize her family,

Not all of us are living with professionals :o

True. In such unfortunate case, prepare to triple the above figures :D

I really cannot understand why anyone would want to come to Thailand when so underfunded.

There is no safety net in this country, and even with the warm climate it get's

chilly sleeping under the bridge. And while some say they can live on

30k a month ... Who would want to ?

Naka.

In Pattaya a bj from a BeachRoad girl will cost you 500 baht. To keep other living expenses within 500 baht/day is quite easy.

So with 30,000 baht a month you can get bj each day living here.

How many people do you think can afford daily bj in farang land ?