Govt Schools To Get 20,000 Computers

george

Govt schools to get 20,000 computers

BANGKOK: -- Reviving populist policies devised by the Thaksin Shinawatra government, the Education Ministry is planning to buy 20,000 personal computers and 100,000 bicycles for students in government schools outside Bangkok.

Office of Basic Education Commission secretary-general Kasama Worawan na Ayutthaya yesterday said there were also urgent projects to be carried out before the next school semester beginning in May, including an increase in the per-head subsidy for students at kindergarten, primary and secondary levels.

The increase requires funding of Bt1.6 billion, which is expected to be approved. Another project is to increase Internet speed for 2,104 schools to 2 megabytes per second.

The 20,000 computers, worth about Bt900 million, are to be provided to 1,683 schools, 900 of which are classified as "dream schools" under a ministry self-development project.

The 100,000 bicycles are worth about Bt110 million and are set to benefit students from grade four to grade 12 in government schools in rural or remote areas.

Kasama said another ministry project to provide 1 million computer notebooks to students would be proceeded by consulting with the Information and Commu-nications Technology Mini-stry.

Another project is to provide scholarships to 1,000 students from grade six to grade nine in 11 selected schools in the three strife-torn southern provinces.

One special class for mentally handicapped children will also be opened in each province, starting next year. Special classes for gifted children will also be opened in schools ready to accommodate their capabilities.

--The Nation 2008-02-20

Mmmm......completely agree with Jbowman1993. Most government schools now have over 50 students per class which is just way too many. Would be far better employing more teachers, both Thai and foreign, to educate these students. If class sizes could be reduced then it gives more opportunities for learning.

Computers are all very well but who will teach them as well as observe them. Most school students just use computers to talk on MSN, Hi5 or play games.........hardly the most educational learning experience. 900 million baht on 20,000 computers could be used to employ thousands of new qualified teachers instead.

Ask yourself the question..............would you rather have your child learning at school from a qualified teacher or spending their time in front of a screen.

Again too much bling and not enough foresight into the long term education of Thailand's future generations. When will they learn (pardon the pun!)

Most government schools now have over 50 students per class which is just way too many.

This certainly does not apply around where I live which is a small rural village in the north. The average class size around here is about 30. Can anyone else report on the class sizes around their neghborhoods...or report a link to this kind of statistic on a Thai education site?

Also, finding an additional 20,000 QUALIFIED teachers is probably not possible in Thailand....it takes four years of university study with practical experience to create a QUALIFIED teacher....I do think it would be good if they did reduce class sizes and I do support creating more QUALIFIED teachers but this can not be done at the drop of a hat so it is not really an easy fix...having more teachers only works if you have more classrooms to put them in so the cost is higher than one might think....I still support it though.

Chownah

Most government schools now have over 50 students per class which is just way too many.

This certainly does not apply around where I live which is a small rural village in the north. The average class size around here is about 30. Can anyone else report on the class sizes around their neghborhoods or report a link to this kind of statistic on a Thai education site?

Also, finding an additional 20,000 QUALIFIED teachers is probably not possible in Thailand....it takes four years of university study with practical experience to create a QUALIFIED teacher....I do think it would be good if they did reduce class sizes and I do support creating more QUALIFIED teachers but this can not be done at the drop of a hat so it is not really an easy fix...having more teachers only works if you have more classrooms to put them in so the cost is higher than one might think....I still support it though.

Chownah

Sure, I teach at a government school. M1/1 - M1/11 twice a week also M4/2 and M4/4 once a week. Here are the numbers for each.

1/1 - 53

1/2 - 54

1/3 - 52

1/4 - 55

1/5 - 51

1/6 - 51

1/7 - 52

1/8 - 54

1/9 - 53

1/10 - 54

1/11 - 50

4/2 - 45

4/4 - 45

and they are all angels :o

I think we can be good Samaritans and help the government locate better deals on computers. :D Lets all get together and see if we can up the number of computers with the same money. I am sure we can easily double the number. I am sure they will be so happy! :o

This is from another thread that was started 2 weeks ago. It certainly makes you wonder about how they arrived at the new numbers of 45000 Baht per computer. Fire trucks - scanner - computers

New education minister plans to give 1 million computers to students

BANGKOK: -- Education Minister Somchai Wongsawat said Thursday that he would have the ministry purchase 1 million computers to distribute to poor students.

He unveiled the plan upon taking office for the first day and after met senior education officials.

Somchai said the project was initiated by the Thai Rak Thai Party during election campaigns in 2005.

Khunying Kasama Worawan said she believed Somchai was referring to the project initiated by then prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra to buy low-cost notebook computers designed by the Massachusetts Institute of Technology for poor students.

-- The Nation 2008-02-07

source http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=168239

Edited by John K

45,000THB per computer???

answers.com provides a clue as to why:

Thaksin also initiated the controversial "One District, One Dream School" project, aimed at developing the quality of schools to ensure that every district has at least one high-quality school. The project was criticized, with some claiming that the only beneficiaries were Thaksin and companies selling computers and educational equipment. Many schools also fell deeply into debt in implementing the project, receiving less than adequate financial support from the central government.

BusinessWeek magazine cites a precedent as well:

Thaksin's police career taught him to work official connections and gave him a glimpse of the benefits of power. After a couple of failed attempts at starting a business, he and his wife in 1982 set up a company that won a contract selling computer equipment to the police department. The company, which grew into Shin Corp., today owns iTV -- Thailand's biggest commercial broadcaster -- and Advanced Info Service, which runs Thailand's leading cellular-phone service. (obviously written before the grand sell-off)

This certainly does not apply around where I live which is a small rural village in the north. The average class size around here is about 30. Can anyone else report on the class sizes around their neghborhoods or report a link to this kind of statistic on a Thai education site?

Chownah

Sure, I teach at a government school. M1/1 - M1/11 twice a week also M4/2 and M4/4 once a week. Here are the numbers for each.

1/1 - 53

1/2 - 54

1/3 - 52

1/4 - 55

1/5 - 51

1/6 - 51

1/7 - 52

1/8 - 54

1/9 - 53

1/10 - 54

1/11 - 50

4/2 - 45

4/4 - 45

and they are all angels :o

Thanks for the reply...I wonder why the class sizes are so different between your experience and mine? Where I live it is not a rich village.....

Can anyone else report of class sizes where they live?

Chownah

Edited by chownah

50 students to a class is <deleted>. No real learning will occur in these situations, even with the best of qualified teachers. I've taught up to 32 in an EP and thats still tough going. Western schools cap their class sizes for a reason - about 25 in secondary schools in Australia, I believe. 20-25 is a good number. Ofcourse graft is #1 in the current government; hence the introduction of overpriced computers (from what I've observed, unless the kids have qualified teachers, theu will just play games, chat or surf the net on them -as others pointed out). Even the new adviser to the Ed ministry is a TV personality! So much for experts. Don't expect anything to change under the current goverment.

Don't expect anything to change under the current goverment.

I agree......the problem is that education doesn't improve much under ANY Thai gov't. Thailand has traditionally had a poor education system and no gov't that I have ever heard of has really done much to improve it.

A major problem with Thai schools is that children are not taught to question authority and about critical thinking....it doesn't really matter what size the classes are if children are taught to accept authority and not criticize those "above" them. Creating a quality educational system is difficult even in rich countries where a large percentage of the population is aware of its importance....in Thailand it will be especially difficult.

My view is that to criticize this or any other gov't for its expenditures on education will not do much to get rid of a bad gov't but it might put pressure on the gov't which will reduce the funds for education....if there is no accoutablility in spending money for computers then the issue should be how to create accountability....not to stop spending on education.

Chownah

50 students to a class is <deleted>. No real learning will occur in these situations, even with the best of qualified teachers.

They can learn if you get your kids ready for learning in these situations. For example take the very high percentage of freshman and sophomore year university courses around the world where lecture halls are filled to the brim, often in the range of 100-400 people per "class."

:o

I've just been reading a piece in the nation which is discussing the current education system.

edu

Strangely though this was said: " The research suggested the government should encourage students to be more nationalistic and protect them from improper culture from foreign countries."

More nationalistic? Are they going to sing the national anthem twice daily? And improper culture...hmm

Personally, I wouldn't get a satang. But it'd be good for the Hengs as a whole.

:D

And what's good for the Hengs must be good for Thailand, eh? :D

It's attitudes like yours that keep Thailand in the middleroads of nations, I'm afraid Heng. So long as the minority are profiting enormously at the expense of the majority, and the system is programmed to keep the status quo, then things are unlikely to improve. :o

Personally, I wouldn't get a satang. But it'd be good for the Hengs as a whole.

And what's good for the Hengs must be good for Thailand, eh? :D

It's attitudes like yours that keep Thailand in the middleroads of nations, I'm afraid Heng. So long as the minority are profiting enormously at the expense of the majority, and the system is programmed to keep the status quo, then things are unlikely to improve. :o

Then I'm sure you'd be happy to know that the profits are actually quite modest.

As long as they keep investing the money it doesn't really matter, if you look at the big picture - say Hengs skim off 10% and invest it into some project that create jobs for ten "little" guys. It would be a lot worse if they hoarded the money in Singaporean accounts instead.

That's how Thais justified their corruption for ages - just keep the money in the system and share the benefits.

It would be better if these 10% the government is going to lose anyway were kept with Hengs in the first place. I read somewhere that in the US for every 1000 the government returns to the people, it spends 600 to manage it. I doubt it's very different in Thailand, the government is probably even more expensive here.

Computer for schools project is different though - they wouldn't get them without government's involvment, but most other populist schemes is just handing out cash, they would be far more efficient if they didn't take this cash from people in the first place.

And it's not so much about redistribution of wealth - only 24% of Thai taxes come from direct taxation, either income or business taxes, the rest comes from taxes on consmuption - VAT and excise taxes. So even if a few rich Thais comsume relatively more, the bulk of the government money still comes from 55 million in various stages of poverty.

Democrats have asked this quesiton in palament a couple of days ago - is the "populist" goverment going to look into these tax issues that put so much burden on the poor?

No answer so far.

Um, thanks Plus... I think. We do hoard some funds in Singapore by the way, but we also invest locally and employ locals. We also have repatriated quite a bit from the US to Thailand for almost 40 years now. In the end, I think we've done quite a bit for Thailand, and we're not a connected or "important" family by any means. We're just rather average merchants (average as in over generations... obviously we're not your average streetside coffee or fruit vendor either), IMO.

First of all, we don't have a gov't contract. What we do have however is the largest market share. So if the gov't opts for computer speakers, chances are their business would be coming to us anyway either directly or indirectly. You wouldn't need to buy ---- speakers, because if you go with Laser, Belta, D Computer, Powell, SVOA, or any of a dozen other brands, you'd still be using our components. And yes, we pay heavily in terms of VAT, a hundred times more than our meagre (but untaxed) interest income from our Singapore or wherever else accounts.

Hope that sorts that out. I'm used to it, it's a conversation I have often. People see people living comfortably or running a number of businesses and automatically say "why don't you give a little back?" (making the assumption -without any kind of information- that we aren't 'giving back' or 'taking too much').

Thanks Chownah, I don't recall mentioning it at all actually. Might have been a late night post or a private PM, certainly not in any kind of detail surely? On that note, people who harp on about stuff like that are either feeling guilty about something or just need some attention.