Patong 1am... Rest Of Phuket ?

LivinLOS

As per this thread http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...45entry170943 the new rules seem to be being enforced...

I was in Soi Tiger earlier tonight when the notifications were handed out.. A new arrival had just bought a Tiger bar and his opening night is Wed.. Great news for him.. Can anyone confirm the whole Island being a 'special entertainment zone' or only Patong ???

With Pian being back in as Patongs Mayor and his envolvement in so many places (Easy / Dragon / Katoey) I cant see him wishing to implement this.

Heard more than one person (bar owner) talking about Philippines if 12 / 1 AM closure is reality.

Phuket is changing. I think the bar scene will be finished in the next few years. Buying a bar here now would be giving your money away. Dont know if this is good or bad? stupidity on the governments part I think.

In Australia we are 24hours 7 days and I would say we have less/same violence and drugs as Thailand, so that excuse they keep throwing out there is crap.

Vote with your feet - dont come!

Tend to agree... A few years back agogo's and mad afternoon spots like Valhalla used to be crazy... Patong has definately sanitized and I see the trend accellerating.

I am not really much of a monger so it does not effect me directly but it sure as ###### will effect those who make thier money from nightlife or male travellers and expats..

I could well imagine Patong of 2010 to be so much more family oriented, with the new 'malls' cinema's, and shopping side that the bar side would be almost gone.. Of course the big question is, is being a Health / Shopping / Spa / Golfing hub of Asia enough to sustain the local economy in the way it expects to grow ?? certainly those local land owners that hope to keep doubling bar key money every 18 months to couple of years will need a lesson in economics 101..

Still a beautiful place to be (currently).. for those of us not living off of a bar, would a few less monger tourists be a problem ??

Its not only Patong, there are other areas of Phuket that have been designated "Entertainment" zones. Kata/Karon Beach for one, i think theres another area but i cant remember, its far too early in the morning for this kinda stuff :o

Here's my Spin:

Well what the possible inpacts?

I think that the public drunkness, drug laden girls on stroll, Katoey pickpockets, fights, public drinking and public urination are good issue for the night zone problem. Looks like the punters will be on the street an hour earlier rather that keeping to the sois. Now, are they going to start the Passport/Piss Test sham that is on the hot list up in Bangers.

Is it possible that the POWERS are owners of 7-11.

Just think how well the newish on along the night market row will be doing. Will there be a new hot spot up the block from Soi Seapeal. That little 7-11 was usually only partonize by the few gays falling out of that little Puffter Saloon down a side street a few meters away.. I can't wait to get a Punters Eye View....'

This new rule is going to Back Fire big time!

Interesting that this article appeared the day after the 1am article....

Huge jump in tourist arrivals

PHUKET: The number of visitors arriving at Phuket International Airport in the year to date is up by 27% on the figure for the same period last year, astonishing and delighting tourism bosses.

The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) Phuket office had predicted that the number of passengers – foreign and Thai – arriving in Phuket would increase by 10% this year compared with 2003. But instead, arrivals have risen by 27%.

Napasorn Kakai, the Deputy Director of Phuket TAT office, told the Gazette, “For the green [low] season, we successfully focused on tourists from Asia and the Middle East. We arranged roadshows and invited them to travel to Phuket.

“We have many charter flights that come to Phuket from the Middle East because people there want to experience the rain.”

K. Napasorn added that Phuket had become more popular as a “short haul” destination for people in Asia, partly b ecause of terrorist attacks elsewhere in the world.

Visitor numbers could be boosted still further if an Australian Airlines Boeing 767 charter flight between Sydney and Phuket, which is being tested this month, becomes a regular feature of the green season.

However, said K. Napasorn, not all the passengers who arrived at Phuket airport actually spent their vacations on the island – some went direct to other destinations such as Khao Lak or Krabi.

Government figures (which are counted by budget year – October 1 to September 30, rather than TAT figures which are counted by calendar year) show that between October 1 last year and August 31 this year, 4.17 million passengers passed through Phuket International Airport, a rise of 30.41% compared with the same period in the previous 12 months.

The number of flights to and from Phuket during the same period also increased, by 21.89%, to 27,392.

No comparative fi gures were given on the average tourist’s length of stay and spending habits in Phuket nor, indeed, on how many “quality visitors” were among the arrivals.

Brought to you by:

The Phuket Gazette

19:38 local time (GMT +7)

No mention of SARS last year, nothing to do with the hotels in Phuket being on the ball for this year's low, ahem, green season, after learning to give their rooms away during SARS to create cashflow....

Strange that.

:o