Bali Bombers To Fight Against Their Execution

donna

Bali bombers' lawyers back in court to fight execution

From Karen Michelmore in Denpasar

February 25, 2008 08:05am

Article from: AAP

LAWYERS for three of the Bali bombers will today return to court in a last-ditch attempt to prevent their execution.

Denpasar District Court is due to hold three case review hearings - for the so-called smiling assassin Amrozi Nurhasyim, his brother Ali Ghufron (alias Mukhlas) and Imam Samudra - who played key roles in the Bali nightclub bombings on October 12, 2002.

The twin attacks killed 202 people, including 88 Australians.

The judicial case reviews have delayed the impending executions of the men.

The hearings are expected to focus on the retroactive terrorism laws under which the men were convicted and the decision of the judges to reject earlier case reviews.

Lawyers for the men sought the latest review of their cases last month as a deadline for them to seek clemency neared.

Indonesia's Supreme Court accepted the terrorists' application for the judicial review, but rejected another request that the hearings take place in Cilacap District Court, close to the island prison where the men are detained.

None of the bombers - housed in a prison on Nusakambangan Island, known as Indonesia's Alcatraz - will attend court.

Three judges have been appointed to hear each of the men's cases, which are expected to run for the next three weeks.

Police have been asked to provide extra security for the terrorists' legal team.

The bombers had originally been due to be executed in 2006.

A spokesman for Indonesia's attorney-general has said the bombers will not be executed until the Supreme Court hands down a final decision.

Bali bombers' lawyers back in court to fight execution

From Karen Michelmore in Denpasar

February 25, 2008 08:05am

Article from: AAP

LAWYERS for three of the Bali bombers will today return to court in a last-ditch attempt to prevent their execution.

Denpasar District Court is due to hold three case review hearings - for the so-called smiling assassin Amrozi Nurhasyim, his brother Ali Ghufron (alias Mukhlas) and Imam Samudra - who played key roles in the Bali nightclub bombings on October 12, 2002.

The twin attacks killed 202 people, including 88 Australians.

The judicial case reviews have delayed the impending executions of the men.

The hearings are expected to focus on the retroactive terrorism laws under which the men were convicted and the decision of the judges to reject earlier case reviews.

Lawyers for the men sought the latest review of their cases last month as a deadline for them to seek clemency neared.

Indonesia's Supreme Court accepted the terrorists' application for the judicial review, but rejected another request that the hearings take place in Cilacap District Court, close to the island prison where the men are detained.

None of the bombers - housed in a prison on Nusakambangan Island, known as Indonesia's Alcatraz - will attend court.

Three judges have been appointed to hear each of the men's cases, which are expected to run for the next three weeks.

Police have been asked to provide extra security for the terrorists' legal team.

The bombers had originally been due to be executed in 2006.

A spokesman for Indonesia's attorney-general has said the bombers will not be executed until the Supreme Court hands down a final decision. Let's hope the decision is correct & they are put to death as deserved.

i think that once the decision is firm, that they will then dispute exactly HOW they will die. apparently they want to be beheadded 'like real men' and i suspect that this will delay things longer as they will need to find someone to then perform that gruesome task.

come to think of it, there are the families of at least 202 people who would perhaps gladly do it............

i think that once the decision is firm, that they will then dispute exactly HOW they will die. apparently they want to be beheadded 'like real men' and i suspect that this will delay things longer as they will need to find someone to then perform that gruesome task. I'll do it!

come to think of it, there are the families of at least 202 people who would perhaps gladly do it............

for sure not a topic to make stupid jokes....

and I hope the Indonesian government will NOT give them the chance to "die as real men" as they want it.

are they real men killing hundreds of innocent people.

feed them to the dogs and pigs, thats the death they deserve and certainly would NOT love

It's rather satisfying to see that, despite their hysterical islamic bravados... they apparently start... to be afraid... of death. Their own death.

At least, I want to believe that.

Otherwise, it could be just some more gesticulations, to keep the case alive in the medias for as long as possible, in order to inflict more pain to the victims' families... pur evil.

Who knows ?

I am not quite sure that dying is a suitable punishment for this kind of crime...

I'd agree that a swift death is unsuitable; their death should be slow & excrutiatingly painful. Perhaps a force fed last meal of Pork & Alcohol, administered by someone using their left hand as a final insult to these scumbags. :o

Edited by ClaytonSeymour