Is It Me Or.......?

Just reading the C Samui magazine which I quite like. There is an article on wines and in particular Red Chilean Cabernet.

I am having great difficulty in understanding the description of the wine and wonder what it all means.

Quote.."The nose is filled with mineral notes". "The attack is deep and well sculpted while the evolution reveals tremendous balance". "The vintage is remarkably dense and unctuous".Unquote. (I thought unctuous meant pretentious, smug, greasy)

Is it me or this all just pretentious codswallop? Perhaps I'm just grumpier than normal today.

What do you think?

Just reading the C Samui magazine which I quite like. There is an article on wines and in particular Red Chilean Cabernet.

I am having great difficulty in understanding the description of the wine and wonder what it all means.

Quote.."The nose is filled with mineral notes". "The attack is deep and well sculpted while the evolution reveals tremendous balance". "The vintage is remarkably dense and unctuous".Unquote. (I thought unctuous meant pretentious, smug, greasy)

Is it me or this all just pretentious codswallop? Perhaps I'm just grumpier than normal today.

What do you think?

Well, as a one time big wine consumer (can't afford the prices here) it beats me, sorry. :o

What do you think?

Don't get yourself upet or confused. Basicaly wine boffs are a bunch of supercillious pratts that have forgotten how to use the words "sweet,sour,hot and cold" then ask yourself how can ANY LIQUID be described as "DRY"

Edited by yoksot

What do you think?

Happy to help.

"The nose is filled with mineral notes". That means, when you smell the wine, you get a whiff of minerals (stoniness, light salt). I'm surprised that is on a Cabernet, you usually find that on a reisling or sylvaner. For a cab you want to smell red fruit,maybe soil, tobacco...

"The attack is deep and well sculpted while the evolution reveals tremendous balance". Now this is definitely some funny copywriting. "The attack"meaning when you get the wine in your mouth, the first instance of taste, "well sculpted" meaning the taster feels the method of good wine making is there, "evolution reveals tremendous balance" meaning aging has created excellent balance of flavor,body and acidity, a very favorable quality in a wine is balance.

"The vintage is remarkably dense and unctuous", as wines have different vintages (the year the wine is made), each vintage will be different due to climate conditions. This vintage is remarkably dense (that's understandable, no?) and unctious (soave,smooth, supple).

Not pretentious codswallop, just some unique copywriting. Please don't ball up all wine drinkers into a category of "supercillious pratts" as that is completely untrue. When not enjoying the uniqueness of different wines from different places, I'll swill a Heinecken (or ten).

Enjoy your wine, it's good for you heart!

Edited by huggybear

What do you think?

Don't get yourself upet or confused. Basicaly wine boffs are a bunch of supercillious pratts that have forgotten how to use the words "sweet,sour,hot and cold" then ask yourself how can ANY LIQUID be described as "DRY"

It's the finish (when the wine has been swallowed) that leaves your mouth "dry". It's not the liquid itself.

I do not think the OP wanted an explanation of what the terms mean, that is quite obvious. He was simply making the point that if its a stone call it a stone.

Really............

"I am having great difficulty in understanding the description of the wine and wonder what it all means."

My bad for that misinterpretation there, oracle.

It's just badly written - maybe by a non English speaker. To the poster who said 'how can a liquid be dry?' Dry really just means the opposite of sweet, but it's not sour, just lacking the sweetness of the grape. Think 'savoury' when used in reference to food.

What do you think?

Happy to help.

"The nose is filled with mineral notes". That means, when you smell the wine, you get a whiff of minerals (stoniness, light salt). I'm surprised that is on a Cabernet, you usually find that on a reisling or sylvaner. For a cab you want to smell red fruit,maybe soil, tobacco...

"The attack is deep and well sculpted while the evolution reveals tremendous balance". Now this is definitely some funny copywriting. "The attack"meaning when you get the wine in your mouth, the first instance of taste, "well sculpted" meaning the taster feels the method of good wine making is there, "evolution reveals tremendous balance" meaning aging has created excellent balance of flavor,body and acidity, a very favorable quality in a wine is balance.

"The vintage is remarkably dense and unctuous", as wines have different vintages (the year the wine is made), each vintage will be different due to climate conditions. This vintage is remarkably dense (that's understandable, no?) and unctious (soave,smooth, supple).

Not pretentious codswallop, just some unique copywriting. Please don't ball up all wine drinkers into a category of "supercillious pratts" as that is completely untrue. When not enjoying the uniqueness of different wines from different places, I'll swill a Heinecken (or ten).

Enjoy your wine, it's good for you heart!

I really enjoy my wine and I thank you,and appreciate your explanantion. but it still seems to me that a parallel language is/has developed.

One for everyday English and the other for Wine writers. As an aside I would have prefered to see a down to earth Ozzie

description such as ...."tastes like the tears of an angel" or "the bouquet of an Aborigines armpit".

For me, much more meaningful. :o

I do a lot of editing for Thais and based on what is written by the OP this is what I would edit/translate it to:

The nose is filled with mineral notes-smells like dirt/maure". "The attack is deep really stinks and well sculpted has great legs while the evolution reveals tremendous balance bubbles all over the place when you open the bottle ". "The vintage is remarkably dense year it was made they goofed up and it has the consistency of syrup and unctuous darned if I know what that word means.

Ah; yes. I remember a particular Tiger beer vintage afternoon of the 8th. It had a malty bouquet and was very effervescent, wet, aromatic, clear and the bar lady was well sculpted.

I remember being with a wine snob one day at a fancy restaurant in China. A waiter asked him if he wanted some ice in his wine and he looked at the waiter like he was some dog $hit that he just scraped off his shoe. I of course asked for two cubes :D !!

Is it me or this all just pretentious codswallop? :D :D :D

:o:D

Crap they never put ice in wine in China unless it's rice wine or BaiJo which is 70% proof and tastes like rocketfuel.At least in China/HK they don't put ice in the beer,now THAT is tragic.

'Wine' in China translates to spirits not actually 'wine' usually straight or with/out ice. Rocketfuel Baijo is usually mixed with green tea and without ice you would probably have the heck burnt out of your throat and your mouth going into convulsions.Ice is used to deaden the pain.

Never tried it myself,a lighter near a glass would be enough to explain this.OOOOOoooooooooof

Gatorade you have a fetish for Aborigines' armpit's?Disgusting.Maybe it's actually more like your sad doggy butt slobber smell!

Edited by Momo8

I do a lot of editing for Thais and based on what is written by the OP this is what I would edit/translate it to:

The nose is filled with mineral notes-smells like dirt/maure". "The attack is deep really stinks and well sculpted has great legs while the evolution reveals tremendous balance bubbles all over the place when you open the bottle ". "The vintage is remarkably dense year it was made they goofed up and it has the consistency of syrup and unctuous darned if I know what that word means.

Ah; yes. I remember a particular Tiger beer vintage afternoon of the 8th. It had a malty bouquet and was very effervescent, wet, aromatic, clear and the bar lady was well sculpted.

I remember being with a wine snob one day at a fancy restaurant in China. A waiter asked him if he wanted some ice in his wine and he looked at the waiter like he was some dog $hit that he just scraped off his shoe. I of course asked for two cubes :D !!

Is it me or this all just pretentious codswallop? :D:D:D

:o:D

i don't know how pretentious it is but it certainly is pompous. i think the same people that wrote that pompous crap are the same people that said this..."My four-year-old has been discussing the differences between Theravada and Mahayana Buddhism and we were mulling over the Mahasaṃghikas and whether the split was before or after the Third Council..." , this is certainly not the table talk over a few tiger beers, that's fo'sho'. dam_n i feel sorry for that four year old. i hope they named him Sue because he's in for some beatings.

What do you think?

Hey, whatever they write on the label, you either like it or you don't.

Crap they never put ice in wine in China unless it's rice wine or BaiJo which is 70% proof and tastes like rocketfuel.At least in China/HK they don't put ice in the beer,now THAT is tragic.

'Wine' in China translates to spirits not actually 'wine' usually straight or with/out ice. Rocketfuel Baijo is usually mixed with green tea and without ice you would probably have the heck burnt out of your throat and your mouth going into convulsions.Ice is used to deaden the pain.

Never tried it myself,a lighter near a glass would be enough to explain this.OOOOOoooooooooof

Gatorade you have a fetish for Aborigines' armpit's?Disgusting.Maybe it's actually more like your sad doggy butt slobber smell!

Gosh, how did you find out about the canine aroma? Where have you been hanging around?

:D:o

What do you think?

Hey, whatever they write on the label, you either like it or you don't.

True, but if you read the article in the magazine, there wouldn't be room to write that lot on the label.

Besides that, it told me nothing.

I bought a rose that was on special offer (I don't normally drink rose as it's often a bit too sweet) I gave a glass to my wife and said 'what do you think of that?' 'She said, it would be nice chilled on a hot summer's day eating a cream cake in the back garden.' Now that's a wine critic!

'She said, it would be nice chilled on a hot summer's day eating a cream cake in the back garden.' Now that's a wine critic!

Agreed & we would probably get on like a house on fire. Cream cake, bottle of wine, sorted :o

'She said, it would be nice chilled on a hot summer's day eating a cream cake in the back garden.' Now that's a wine critic!

Agreed & we would probably get on like a house on fire. Cream cake, bottle of wine, sorted :o

Maybe all wine critics should adopt a similar approach, they would then lose the title of pompous! :D

I noticed in my local tesco a year ot two back that wines were on the shelf with names like "Great with chicken" and "Great with beef". They were very popular, I don't know why they stopped it!