Thaksin To Come Home This Week

george

... The fact that this great show of respect was twisted and spun until some had the gaul to suggest that it was an insult is a tribute to the darkness of the dark side of Thai politics and journalism.

Chownah

You have got to be kidding. In case you didn't notice he returned to the role, so despite the great show of {alleged} respect, he ignored the request, though if you'd argued that it was in and of itself, constitutionally questionable at least that would have made sense.

Regards

PS I'm off for a few days now, so enjoy the return.

PPS FYI it's gall, assuming you mean effrontery.

I think the truth is that we will never know if a request was made.....the point is that the statement which is most often used as THE example of Toxin' rudeness was actually a very strong show or respect.....absolutely no grounds for the accusations that Toxin was rude.

Chownah

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I must say I am amazed that he has chozen to come back now...

1. it is divisive for the whole country

2. he is doing fine outside the country

3. he risks imprisonment/assassination etc

4. he may well split the ruling coalition

5. there appears no upside

Meanwhile why do it....

At best all he can gain is his right to be a resident here when he wants....

I dont understand the game plan - Thaksin is smart - he doesnt do things without a plan....

I have a sneaking suspicion that this is bubbling to the surface given Thaksin's imminent return and the fact that none of the charges against him have been proven.So the feudalists and their apologists look for an issue which they know to be highly sensitive.They dither and equivocate however because they know this could spring back in their faces.

Obviously, innocent until proven guilty. And there are a series of cases which will take a while to play out. We know he was guilty of asset concealment, but surprisingly was not punished for it (and I happen, as I assume do many TRT insiders, to know why that was); similar but not yet proven are his children surprisingly gaining entry to Chula and Kaset...or his wife being able to buy cheap property....or not having to pay tax on the Shin sales.

All these are a case of innocent until proven guilty, and so to talk about none of the charges against him being proven...well of course they will not be until they end up in a court of law. And we can expect some of these to be tested soon enough. There is a reason why a lot of shuffling is going on, because the deck will be stacked as per the Asset concealment case to ensure the verdict required.

Chownah -

While we of course can not be sure who Toxin was referring to I think that the point which is being missed here is that the meaning of this is that Toxin is indicating that there is one person he respects so much that if that person just quietly asked him to step down then he would step down. This quote is actually a show of great respect for the person Toxin is referring to because it shows that Toxin would do that person's bidding without question and without arguement and that Toxin would do nothing to oppose or to cause any extra effort after receiving the initial statement of what that person wishes Toxin to do. The fact that this great show of respect was twisted and spun until some had the gaul to suggest that it was an insult is a tribute to the darkness of the dark side of Thai politics and journalism.

And therein lies the rub. He stepped down. Then back up again. What he said and what he did were at complete odds to eachother.

I cannot talk about this extensively and none of us can - which is a point that Samak and Thaksin have used heavily to their advantage (by playing on the edge of the shadows with shadowy adverseries), but when I know personally that the words 'bah bpai laew' were used to describe Thaksin within the confines of a series of advisors when discussing this exact series of events, and the recommendation issued that every future conversation be taped with Thaksin, one really must question the sincerity of Thaksin is resigning. And then standing back up again.

The proposed appointment IIRC of a member of that family to the board of an effectively Singaporean company to ensure that the passage of ownership would be passed without problem was a pretty cynical manouvere. I can understand some of your posts but this idea that Thaksin is anything of a royalist is a pretty bold claim and one that even the most pro Thaksin supporters would most likely struggle to believe. According to story tellers, I mean academics like McCargo, then it would be pretty obvious that right now there are two forces colliding. To believe that Thaksin is in fact on the network mon***y side of the equation would be a major surprise.

BTW to call Thaksin PM is just crazy! We have a PM, the wonderful Samak who may indeed wing dtahm jao kong but he still holds the title of PM slash chef. let's show the man some respect.

I really thought that you would be able to seperate what I have said (which is exclusively surrounding the issue of whether Toxin insulted H.M. the King) from other issues. I have not addressed Toxin's sincerity on any matter...for one reason I have not done that because I don't make the mistake of thinking that I know his inner workings or personal thoughts...the issue I have been discussing is whether Toxin ran afoul of the Lesse Majeste laws of Thailand (which he was accused of here earlier) and so far the only evidence on this issue has been the one "whisper in my ear" statement that he made which clearly was misinterpreted to suit selfish interests and presented as something that it clearly is not....it is not an insult to H.M. the King. You may want to claim that you understand Toxin's inner workings and you know his motives but I am not convinced....no insult intended here...I don't know what your inner workings or motives are either....I'm just stating fact.....the facts being that I don't know Toxin's inner workings and I don't believe that you know his inner workings either.

Also, we will never know if Toxin's respected person made a request or not and even if we assume a request was made we really do not know what that request might have been nor do we know the complexity nor the timeline for any such theoretic request/s.

Chownah

The bottom line is that Thaksin wouldn't be coming home if he thinks there is a chance the courts will find against him.

There are a lot of mugs here with different opinions, but my money is on Thaksin rather than a handful of keyboard legal experts.

I'm just stating fact.....the facts being that I don't know Toxin's inner workings and I don't believe that you know his inner workings either.

It is not that hard to decipher Thaksins inner workings. Here is something I have worked out. Much of the time, what he says is the exact opposite of what he really thinks. For example, if he says he will really quit from politics, it means he has no intention of quitting. If he says he will step down, he will step back up, if he says he "just wants reconciliation" it means he doesn't give a hoot about reconciliation, if he says "i am coming back for the people" it means he is coming back for selfish reasons. and so on.

come back Thaksin....all is forgiven :-)

Thailand seems to be a strange type of democracy. All can be forgiven when military thugs armed with guns and tanks can steal government with intent to change the political system to conform with their own desires. In the west we call it treason.

Oh yea, forgot. It was necessary to restore true democracy and honesty in politics. Right? 18 times in the past 60 years right? Practice makes perfect I guess. Those generals wouldnt be corrupt would they? After all, they only have the countries interests at heart, plus they have guns and tanks and things.

Thailand seems to be a strange type of democracy. All can be forgiven when military thugs armed with guns and tanks can steal government with intent to change the political system to conform with their own desires. In the west we call it treason.

Oh yea, forgot. It was necessary to restore true democracy and honesty in politics. Right? 18 times in the past 60 years right? Practice makes perfect I guess. Those generals wouldnt be corrupt would they? After all, they only have the countries interests at heart, plus they have guns and tanks and things.

So to be clear, not liking Thaksin means we have to be pro having coups?

Or thinking that Thaksin is a total bell end means we are anti democracy?

Sorry...totallyconfused as to why you picked me to reply to.

The Nation February 27, 2008 : Last updated 02:55 pm

High Court warns against proThaksin activities

The Supreme Court on Wednesday warned supporters of former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra about being held in contempt for inappropriate activities during the tomorrow's bail review.

Right after his arrival at Suvarnabhumi Airport, Thaksin is expected to apply for a temporary release at the Supreme Court. He is facing graft charges relating to the Ratchadapisek land scandal.

"Any loud cheers and the presentation of flowers to show moral support are deemed inappropriate because these activities would disturb the peace around the court building," court clerk Rakkiart Watanapong said.

The Nation

Apologies if i,ve missed this somewhere and it,s been posted already.

All them poor unfortunates that are banged up and presumed guilty until proven innocent. and to add insult to injury, many are for minor offences, especially in comparison to this crook and his coherts in crime.

Talk about :o as in the non vomiting context.

Edited by marshbags

So to be clear, not liking Thaksin means we have to be pro having coups?

Or thinking that Thaksin is a total bell end means we are anti democracy?

Sorry...totallyconfused as to why you picked me to reply to.

Read it any way you like buddy.

Sorry if you are confused.

The Nation February 27, 2008 : Last updated 02:55 pm

High Court warns against proThaksin activities

The Supreme Court on Wednesday warned supporters of former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra about being held in contempt for inappropriate activities during the tomorrow's bail review.

Right after his arrival at Suvarnabhumi Airport, Thaksin is expected to apply for a temporary release at the Supreme Court. He is facing graft charges relating to the Ratchadapisek land scandal.

The Nation

Apologies if i,ve missed this somewhere and it,s been posted already.

All them poor unfortunates that are banged up and presumed guilty until proven innocent. and to add insult to injury, many are for minor offences, especially in comparison to this crook and his coherts in crime.

Talk about :o as in the non vomiting context.

IS THIS FOR REAL?

'The Supreme Court on Wednesday warned supporters of former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra about being held in contempt for inappropriate activities during the tomorrow's bail review."

"Any loud cheers and the presentation of flowers to show moral support are deemed inappropriate because these activities would disturb the peace around the court building," court clerk Rakkiart Watanapong said.

Boos and hisses would be considered acceptable I presume.

What makes you think that boos and hisses would not disturb the peace, or do you have trouble reading?

What makes you think that boos and hisses would not disturb the peace, or do you have trouble reading?

Oh wow! now we are getting into a debate over whether boos and hisses would be more disruptive to court proceedings than the presentation of flowers and cheers. Really knock out intellectual stuff here now folks. I think I will pass on this one. :o

Thaksin went to that senator's house for dinner, Prasong was also there. A few months later, when Finland Plan was in the news, Prasong went public, though he certainly didn't have any recordings.

He heard it straight from the "devils' mouth". I don't think he just made it all up.

Ah the Finland Plan.Now I understand where you're coming from although I'm slightly surprised(perhaps I shouldn't be) that you've fallen - or pretend to have fallen for- for this dishonest gobbledygook.

You are in denial. Even Samak admitted the existence of Finland Plan, or whatever people want to call it, except Samak said Thaksin had nothing to do with its content, he just set up the meeting.

The dinner talk had nothing to do with Finland, it was mentioned because it covered the same subject.

The ideas expressed in that plan perfectly fit with the theory of peasant awakening which is a favourite of yours, btw, it's a natural progression of "power to the people" movement. Now you deny that there's a basis for this talk at all.

The worry about Finland plan is not in what have been allegedly said, but in what has been actually done, but on this occasion you blindly refuse to see the connection.

Oh wow! now we are getting into a debate over whether boos and hisses would be more disruptive to court proceedings than the presentation of flowers and cheers.

I asked a very simple question and made no implications except the obvious, and you make up some hasty and off target conclusion.

Perhaps you might like to look up these words in the dictionary: "Loud" and "Peace"

I think I will pass on this one. :o

thank you, as you clearly have no idea what you are on about.

Edited by traveller5000

WOOT! THAKSIN'S COMIN HOME! EVERYONE PARTY!!!!!!!!!!

In the meantime, while you are all distracted, he'll be using this opportunity to take advantage of your inattention in some way or another. That's how he made all his money in the first place, slight of hand.

But nice to here that Ando is ready to prostrate himself before his savior. Dangerous thing about prostrating, though, sometimes you end up taking it from behind...

Better dead than back if you ask me.

I'm not sure if I understand you here..... you think Toxin should be killed if he tries to enter the country?

Chownah

It's not like the decision is mine is it?

I can't guarantee you that not a single one of the tens of thousands of relatives of drug war victims wants to kill him. Same goes for the countless other enemies he's made over the years.

What goes around comes around.

I did not imply that it is your decision....what I asked and what I am asking again is that when you say "Better dead than back if you ask me." is it that you are saying that if I ask YOU if Toxin should come back to Thailand then you would respond that it would be better for him to killed than for him to come back to Thailand?....since that is what those words seem to mean....

Chownah

People ask me if I remember where I was when Kennedy was shot............Well I dont have an alibi... Emo Phillips

I must say I am amazed that he has chozen to come back now...

1. it is divisive for the whole country

2. he is doing fine outside the country

3. he risks imprisonment/assassination etc

4. he may well split the ruling coalition

5. there appears no upside

Meanwhile why do it....

At best all he can gain is his right to be a resident here when he wants....

I dont understand the game plan - Thaksin is smart - he doesnt do things without a plan....

I feel the same way. Why now?

:o

As for a fair trial, remains to be seen if he hasn't been manipulating the actors behind the scene as he's done before.

Of course not the Election Commission that you guys (and the Nation) have been so deferentially pointing out as so squeeky clean..why point your fiery fingers at others but not the EC? How can these TRT/PPP guys manipulate everyone else but not the ones you want to ignore?

Like I said before, I hope Thaksin gets what he so justly deserves (and yes, I grant you he may well squirm his way out of it), but this Pollyanna view of the anti-Thaksin camp as righteous defenders of liberty and democracy -- really, it's enough to make one want to p+ke up! Did you check to see where and how all those PAD supporters and their daddies made the money to buy all the kids a Benz? No, I didn't think so.

Edited by thaigene2

How many protests did the People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) arrange against the military coup. Did they at least have one to try to see coup leaders taken to court.. I mean their purpose is to uphold democracy, right?

I think that todays Bangkok Post Editoral hit the nail on the head.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/27Feb2008_news14.php

"Outside the PAD, there are no important voices that oppose Mr Thaksin's return to Thailand. In fact, there are strong reasons to support his homecoming, beyond the fact he is a Thai citizen with the rights and duties of all Thais. The first is that it will show the strength of the nation, following elections that put Thailand back on the track to democracy. The second is the undoubted confidence that the courts are perfectly capable of handling each and all charges laid against the ex-premier already, and in the future. The rule of law is a thousand times better than the would-be PAD solution of street protests and intimidating crowds, which are likely to provoke more opposing throngs. The PAD's simplistic demand to keep Mr Thaksin out may indicate that the former pro-democracy group has last track of just what democracy entails.

At this moment, Thai voters and citizens have made a fresh start. The PAD's decision to go ''back to the future'' is not just stubbornly unimaginative, but troubling. The country is hoping and working for a solution to the divisions in the country. Citizens are demanding the government focus on the real problems, including the economy. Even if full reconciliation is not immediately achieved, Thais can work together to solve their problems.

The PAD wants to restart the unrest, divisions and threatened protests immediately. It is completely wrong.

When the anti-Thaksin groups came together in 2005 and began their cries of ''Thaksin auk pai'' (get out) they christened their coalition the People's Alliance for Democracy. Today, they have at least two of those words wrong. The group represents no popular will, nor is it interested in the democratic process. It is not difficult to determine that the vast majority of the nation wants Mr Thaksin to face justice, and wants to see if the Samak Sundaravej administration will run an efficient, accountable government. All members of the PAD need to take a cooling-off period and give democracy and the law a chance."

The Post may be boring - BUT it's a voice of sound reason - unlike the Nation of course and their constant whining about their feudalists' constiuents' loss of priviledges..

WOOT! THAKSIN'S COMIN HOME! EVERYONE PARTY!!!!!!!!!!

In the meantime, while you are all distracted, he'll be using this opportunity to take advantage of your inattention in some way or another. That's how he made all his money in the first place, slight of hand.

Really? Sleight of hand? You mean those satellites his company launched into space are figments of our imagination?

Get real. The guy is a taskmaster, a winner, a telecommunications business tycoon.

Glad he's back.

Former Thai PM Thaksin leaves Hong Kong for home

2008-02-28 08:37:29

HONG KONG, Feb. 28 (Xinhua) -- Thailand's coup-ousted Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra left here Thursday morning for Thailand after 17 months of self-exile.

Thaksin has been living in self-exile overseas, in his London residence and other places around the world ever since the Sept. 19 coup in 2006 that ousted him when he was attending a United Nations assembly in New York.

Speculations have been circulating about Thaskin's return as the People Power Party (PPP), believed closely related to Thaksin, managed to win the Dec. 23 general election last year and formed a coalition government early this year.

Thaksin has repeatedly stated his wish to return to his home country to fight a series of corruption and abuse of power charges.

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2008-02/...ent_7683266.htm

LaoPo