Thaksin To Come Home This Week

george

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

According to today's Daily News Thaksin will be arriving with Casper Schmeichel, the goalkeeper.

I defy anybody to deny this is a human shield. :o

Not at all,casper just has to prove that he can catch everything.

Edited by basjke

Thailand's Thaksin heads home from exile

1 hour ago

HONG KONG (AFP) — Former Thai premier Thaksin Shinawatra set off for home Thursday to defend himself against corruption charges, ending his self-imposed exile since he was ousted in a military coup 17 months ago.

He flew out of Hong Kong bound for Bangkok saying he did not want to return to politics and would report himself to authorities when he arrived.

Thai officials say they expect thousands of people to greet him at Bangkok airport and around 10,000 police have been deployed to boost security.

Pilots and staff of the Thai Airways flight lined up at the door to welcome him as he walked on board, with one clasping him in an emotional bearhug.

"I will report myself," he told AFP before boarding.

Asked if he would be arrested on his return, Thaksin -- who faces a raft of corruption and other charges -- said: "No. It is normal procedure."

He said he was confident of proper treatment. "Everything will be according to the legal framework."

Dressed in a black suit and white shirt, Thaksin waited in the airport's business lounge to board his flight.

"I don't expect there to be large crowd when I arrive," he told reporters. "I want to go back as ordinary citizen."

Continues here:

http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5hjG3SE...QFei9cgNjm-QY1w

LaoPo

Ousted Thai PM Thaksin flies home

post-13995-1204163634_thumb.jpg Former Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra arrives at Hong Kong International Airport on Thursday.

BANGKOK, Thailand (CNN) -- Deposed Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra departed Hong Kong, China, Thursday morning on a flight to Thailand, returning home after 17 months in exile, to fight charges of corruption and abuse of power.

Upon touchdown, he was expected to report to the country's Supreme Court.

A pro-Thaksin Web site on Tuesday urged supporters to greet the former prime minister at the airport at 9 a.m. local time (0200 GMT), and thousands were expected to congregate.

The People's Alliance for Democracy, which in the past has staged numerous demonstrations denouncing Thaksin's rule, told CNN on Tuesday that it did not have any plans to protest on Thursday.

If that decision stands, it will null the possibility of clashes between the two camps on Thursday.

http://edition.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/asiapcf/...7/thai.thaksin/

LaoPo

HERO OR VILLAIN?

Thaksin's homecoming today is a loaded gun

A lot of people will be holding their breath today as ousted prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra sets foot back in the country. Mr Thaksin will bring with him more than a bag of souvenirs from his 17-month globe-trotting spree. Some people, including noted seers, are predicting his return will reopen old wounds, reviving the bitter social and political divisions that beset the country under his leadership and which was the catalyst for his removal.

His critics will be watching Mr Thaksin's every footstep from the moment he de-planes. They have reminded authorities that while he is a former prime minister, and should be accorded a fitting reception, he is also a defendant in cases involving abuse of power and corruption.

Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej was quick, and right, to advise his cabinet ministers to put aside their ministerial uniforms before rushing to shake hands with Mr Thaksin.

From & continues here: http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/28Feb2008_news06.php

LaoPo

Thaksin Says He Doesn't Plan a Return to Politics

post-13995-1204164326_thumb.jpg Thaksin Shinawatra, Thailand's former prime minister, checks in at Chek Lap Kok International Airport, in Hong Kong, Feb. 28, 2008. Photographer: Jerome Favre/Bloomberg News

Feb. 28 (Bloomberg) -- Thaksin Shinawatra said he doesn't plan a return to politics in Thailand, as the former premier flew back to the Southeast Asian nation to face corruption charges almost 18 months after being ousted in a military coup.

``I quit politics, I have other roles to play,'' Thaksin told reporters at Hong Kong airport today before leaving for Bangkok. ``Enough is enough.''

The former premier and his wife Pojamarn, who went home last month, face charges over their involvement in purchasing land from the central bank. The junta's failure to make the charges stick, and missteps including the imposition of capital controls, allowed Thaksin's political allies to win general elections restoring democracy in December.

Airport authorities in Bangkok are bracing for crowds of Thaksin supporters and opponents, who held months of public protests against his government before the takeover.

Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej's People Power Party won the Dec. 23 election by pledging to bring Thaksin back from exile and follow his policies.

Corruption Charges

Thaksin plans to fight the corruption charges. He told reporters he will go to court after his arrival. ``I believe in the Thai justice system,'' he said. ``If you did nothing wrong, why be afraid?''

He has been living mainly in Hong Kong and London in self- imposed exile since the coup and bought the U.K.'s Manchester City soccer club last year.

``I am the chairman of Manchester City, I still have to go back and forth,'' Thaksin said, adding he plans to attend the club's home game against Tottenham Hotspur on March 16.

Thaksin said he has ``mixed feelings'' about his return to Thailand and is a ``little bit'' worried about his security. He didn't elaborate.

Continues here:

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=206...&refer=asia

LaoPo

On the way home in a Taxi late last night I was rather stunned to hear the old Red Gaur anthem “Nak Paendin” with new, raucous anti-Taksin lyrics, the chorus being:

Nak Paendin

Nak Paendin

Pak Taksin bpen khon Nak Paendin

translation:

A burden on the Land

A burden on the Land

Taksins’ Party are a burden on the Land

Actually the word "burden" is not a truly accurate translation in this context, it's more properly a mixture of burden / threat / danger.

The Red Gaur were a violent ultra right-wing group of thugs, raised in 1974 by Sudsai Hasdin, a former Thai Military Officer, who went around intimidating and beating up Students, Labour and Farmers rights activists and anyone they suspected of anti-Monarchist views – all of whom they branded as Communists.

It cannot be a good sign that this anthem has been resurrected

Patrick

edit - Typo

Edited by p_brownstone

Thaksin Ready to Return to Thailand

By AMBIKA AHUJA – 1 hour ago

Excerpts:

"Dressed in a black suit and matching tie, he was allowed to use the airport's diplomatic entrance while passing through immigration. He smiled and appeared relaxed as he strolled through the airport with a big entourage before settling into the Thai Airway's VIP lounge."

Article and photos of his dinner, Wednesday 27, 2008 in Hong Kong here:

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5iGyl8id...xKe42QD8V30FR80

LaoPo

On the way home in a Taxi late last night I was rather stunned to hear the old Red Gaur anthem “Nak Paendin” with new, raucous anti-Taksin lyrics, the chorus being:

Nak Paendin

Nak Paendin

Pak Taksin bpen khon Nak Paendin

translation:

A burden on the Land

A burden on the Land

Taksins’ Party are a burden on the Land

Actually the word "burden" is not a truly accurate translation in this context, it's more properly a mixture of burden / threat / danger.

The Red Gaur were a violent ultra right-wing group of thugs, raised in 1974 by Sudsai Hasdin, a former Thai Military Officer, who went around intimidating and beating up Students, Labour and Farmers rights activists and anyone they suspected of anti-Monarchist views – all of whom they branded as Communists.

It cannot be a good sign that this anthem has been resurrected

Patrick

edit - Typo

Sign of nothing but problems in the very near future.

Agree entirely with a previous post, that he is probably coming back due to PPP's illustrious start to government.

Slips of memory about probably a couple of thousand deaths, whilst undoubtedly awful before the digital age give the country an awful image when broadcast on CNN. Add a red card for a high ranking member and all the other twaddle that is being spouted by various cabinet members, it would appear that a strong rudder is needed to keep this lot in line.

I am going to ignore Plus' piffle about the Finland Plan.History shows that there are always those who seek to exploit sensitive issues with dishonest conspiracy theories.The Dreyfus case and the Zinoviev letter are but two examples.

I want to comment on another aspect which is the endless patronising tendency to harp on about the "peasantry" as though this was some inferior sub-species.They can't deny it because post after post shows the same distaste.Now I too dislike the concept of mob democracy and believe in checks and balances.I also subscribe to Edmund Burke's concept that the elected representatives of the people have a primary duty to their consciences not just to reflect the wishes of the voters.But what I also believe -and this is entirely lacking in people of the stamp I describe -is a sense of noblesse oblige.That means a sentiment among well educated and well off people to help the less well off and unfortunate, not by handouts but through providing opportunities both economic and educational.It also means recognising that save by the grace of God the "peasant" they apparently despise so much has as much worth as the highest in the land.Furthermore if the majority of Thais (or practically speaking the victors in a fair election) want a more just society the alraedy advantaged must live with it, and as I have pointed out before in reality manage the process.

Now I know that Thaksin or , heaven help us, Samak are not the saviours of the poor, although the former was certainly a catalyst.I have my faith in people like Abhisit.Although I suspect I share many concerns about unfettered democracy, I would hope I don't show the same mean spiritedness and contempt for the majority.

Edited by younghusband

I am going to ignore Plus' piffle about the Finland Plan.History shows that there are always those who seek to exploit sensitive issues with dishonest conspiracy theories.The Dreyfus case and the Zinoviev letter are but two examples.

I want to comment on another aspect which is the endless patronising tendency to harp on about the "peasantry" as though this was some inferior sub-species.They can't deny it because post after post shows the same distaste.Now I too dislike the concept of mob democracy and believe in checks and balances.I also subscribe to Edmund Burke's concept that the elected representatives of the people have a primary duty to their consciences not just to reflect the wishes of the voters.But what I also believe -and this is entirely lacking in people of the stamp I describe -is a sense of noblesse oblige.That means a sentiment among well educated and well off people to help the less well off and unfortunate, not by handouts but through providing opportunities both economic and educational.It also means recognising that save by the grace of God the "peasant" they apparently despise so much has as much worth as the highest in the land.Furthermore if the majority of Thais (or practically speaking the victors in a fair election) want a more just society the alraedy advantaged must live with it, and as I have pointed out before in reality manage the process.

Now I know that Thaksin or , heaven help us, Samak are not the saviours of the poor, although the former was certainly a catalyst.I have my faith in people like Abhisit.Although I suspect I share many concerns about unfettered democracy, I would hope I don't show the same mean spiritedness and contempt for the majority.

Anyone know a Thai translation for "nobless oblige". Would appear to be absolutely untranslateable into Thai.

[we need]......sentiment among well educated and well off people to help the less well off and unfortunate, not by handouts but through providing opportunities both economic and educational.It also means recognising that save by the grace of God the "peasant" they apparently despise so much has as much worth as the highest in the land.Furthermore if the majority of Thais (or practically speaking the victors in a fair election) want a more just society the alraedy advantaged must live with it, and as I have pointed out before in reality manage the process.

THE PERFECT POST FOR TODAY. my thoughts exactly.

:o

I think the likes of Abhisit have more concern for peasants fate than they do themselves, if you look at who they voted in.

Also distaste for arrogancy and "we know the best, we deserve to rule the country" attitude portrayed by many posters here on behalf of those peasants shouldn't be confused with patronising tendencies.

Respect must be deserved. It will be accorded when "peasants" show political maturity and ability to make right choices both for themselves and for the country.

What "populist" Minster of Health would tell HIV infected people to eat funeral wreaths because foreign pharma companies are upset about drug pricing?