Internet Connection In Pattaya With No Phone Line?

cudaproject

You have 4 options:

-Contact CAT, depending on your area they can pull a direct cable to your house, only for internet. Pretty good speeds/reliability (probably the best of the bad :o )

-iPSTAR, two-way satellite. Available through TOT or Csloxinfo (apply at Wattana opposite Foodland). Quite expensive but OK-ish apart from quite a bit of outages and high latency (is slow response, terible for VOIP). Last reports have Csloxinfo as the best of the two.

- GPRS/Edge, available through both Dtac and AIS, on their pre-paid simcards. You either use your phone (if Edge capable) or buy a dedicated Edge modem, in which you can stick the simcard. Works OK, but is slow, so only for e-mails and light browsing. Forget streaming video, VOIP etc...

-Hutch, same as above, only on the CDMA network (as opposed to the GSM network from Dtac/AIS). Slightly slower then Edge. But just read reports that they will be moving to the GSM network this year, so the modem you buy could be obsolete pretty soon. Only works in the central provinces (Bkk & Eastern Seaboard) while GPRS/Edge works almost everywhere in Thailand.

There's a fifth option available now, likely to be much better than satellite internet connections - internet over power lines.

A company called Accom (It's something like that) has just started advertising this in condos in Jomtien. As power lines are everywhere, I assume that you could get it in Naklua, too? I don't know of anyone who has tried it yet, though.

Prices are roughly:

1Mbps/1Mbps 1000 Baht/month

2Mbps/2Mbps 1800 Baht/month

Modem 3900 Baht

Registration fee 500 Baht

No contract

There's a fifth option available now, likely to be much better than satellite internet connections - internet over power lines.

A company called Accom (It's something like that) has just started advertising this in condos in Jomtien. As power lines are everywhere, I assume that you could get it in Naklua, too? I don't know of anyone who has tried it yet, though.

Prices are roughly:

Modem 3900 Baht

No contract

How about a contact? Number? email? web site?

Will do what is needed if it is all in Thai.

- GPRS/Edge, available through both Dtac and AIS, on their pre-paid simcards. You either use your phone (if Edge capable) or buy a dedicated Edge modem, in which you can stick the simcard. Works OK, but is slow, so only for e-mails and light browsing. Forget streaming video, VOIP etc...

I use DTAC EDGE on a notebook with one of the Sierre wireless aircards. Speeds are fine for i-surfing, podcast downloads, and even audio streaming. Video streaming and downloads are quite slow, however. Connection is very steady...much better than most WiFi networks I have used in LOS. Also few drop-outs like often the case with ADSL lines in LOS.

Cost is very cheap...B350 for 100 hours (B 3.5 hour).

You have 4 options:

-Contact CAT, depending on your area they can pull a direct cable to your house, only for internet. Pretty good speeds/reliability (probably the best of the bad :o )

-iPSTAR, two-way satellite. Available through TOT or Csloxinfo (apply at Wattana opposite Foodland). Quite expensive but OK-ish apart from quite a bit of outages and high latency (is slow response, terible for VOIP). Last reports have Csloxinfo as the best of the two.

-Hutch, same as above, only on the CDMA network (as opposed to the GSM network from Dtac/AIS). Slightly slower then Edge. But just read reports that they will be moving to the GSM network this year, so the modem you buy could be obsolete pretty soon. Only works in the central provinces (Bkk & Eastern Seaboard) while GPRS/Edge works almost everywhere in Thailand.

Works sorta Ok, better than dialup, low cost and easy to organize.

Naka.

Prices are roughly:

Modem 3900 Baht

No contract

Sorry, I don't have contact details at the moment. I already have a True T-LAN set-up in my place (I suppose that's actually option no. 6 if you are in a condo with this installed - no need for a phone line!), so I wasn't pursuing the Accom internet over power lines thing. I've read about this technology for 4 or 5 years though, and this was the first time I have seen it offered anywhere. I would be interested if anyone has tried it - it would make renting a cheaper place away from the main infrastructure here a lot easier.

I will drop by the condo office tomorrow and ask them for the contacts.

<br />
<br /><br />I use DTAC EDGE on a notebook with one of the Sierre wireless aircards. Speeds are fine for i-surfing, podcast downloads, and even audio streaming. Video streaming and downloads are quite slow, however. Connection is very steady...much better than most WiFi networks I have used in LOS. Also few drop-outs like often the case with ADSL lines in LOS.<br /><br />Cost is very cheap...B350 for 100 hours (B 3.5 hour).<br /><br />
<br /><br /><br />

How many drop-outs do you experience? I'm using AIS unlimited and it's generally ok but I lose the connection at least 5 times a day of solid internet use. This especially happens in the early evening. Is DTAC any better?

Edward, did you notice that Edge (AIS) tends to be much slower on weekends - presumably due to higher usage of the AIS network.

This is the opposite of Ipstar where the weekends are always trouble free.

My Ipstar has been much better of late - dl speeds in excess of 400kps most of the time, but I pay a whopping 4,100 Baht per month. It also crashes periodically and I have to phone them when it gets too bad and then it is fine for several days.

So I use Ipstar for most of my needs with Edge as a back up, and that keeps me connected.

I can't wait for BTV to get their internet service together again so that I can dump IPstar.

Sorry, I don't have contact details at the moment. I already have a True T-LAN set-up in my place (I suppose that's actually option no. 6 if you are in a condo with this installed - no need for a phone line!), so I wasn't pursuing the Accom internet over power lines thing. I've read about this technology for 4 or 5 years though, and this was the first time I have seen it offered anywhere. I would be interested if anyone has tried it - it would make renting a cheaper place away from the main infrastructure here a lot easier.

I will drop by the condo office tomorrow and ask them for the contacts.

curious how much you are paying for the True T-Lan - i have this in my condo at Sky Beach in Nakula and the rate is 2000 baht per month - they did give me two months free when i paid for the 12 months but this still comes out to 1714 baht per month - reliability is spotty

How many drop-outs do you experience? I'm using AIS unlimited and it's generally ok but I lose the connection at least 5 times a day of solid internet use. This especially happens in the early evening. Is DTAC any better?

I generally surf for 2-3 hours of a time maybe 2-3 times per day. So usage averages 5-7 hours per day (but not all at the same time). I might have to reconnect once or twice during the day..usually not more than that.

I very much doubt it is on the public powerlines!

It's more likely that Accom puts in an internet connection in the condo, and from there distributes it throughout the building using the building's powerlines!

AFAIK there are no agreements for any ISP to use the Egat's (electricity generating authority) power lines for internet distribution.

Actually, EGAT has one of the biggest fiber cable networks throughout Thailand!

>>I will drop by the condo office tomorrow and ask them for the contacts.<<

Please do .I stay in Jomtien when in Thailand and would be interested /

I've attached scans (see below) of the company's brochure – unfortunately it is in Thai. Perhaps Chang-paarp would translate for anyone interested? Their website is in Thai, too.

The prices I quoted are on a separate piece of photocopied bumf from the condo which there is no point in repeating, but I think they are pretty standard. There was an introductory offer a month ago where they dropped the 500 Baht initial fee – big deal!

I would like to know two things:

* How fast/reliable is this service (I don't much care HOW it works, but I do wish to know if it DOES work).

* Is it generally available wherever a power line connects to a building in Pattaya, or only in Jomtien, or only in Jomtien condos with some new bit of hardware installed by ACCOM?

Any feedback would be welcome, I will likely be moving condo in the next few months and this may be a good option to increase the range of places I can consider.

I hope that helps somebody, anyway.

post-51556-1204200425_thumb.jpg

post-51556-1204200339_thumb.jpg

curious how much you are paying for the True T-Lan - i have this in my condo at Sky Beach in Nakula and the rate is 2000 baht per month - they did give me two months free when i paid for the 12 months but this still comes out to 1714 baht per month - reliability is spotty

I pay the same as you, 2000 Baht/month. It's expensive, but when I moved in here there was no alternative. TT&T had no spare lines, TOT (I have a TOT IDD line) were unsure when they would be able to make more ADSL connections available, and CAT wanted to run a new cable up 27 floors, which the owner wasn't too keen on. One advantage is that when I go on a trip for a month or so, I just pay up until the day I leave, and then a 200 Baht reconnection fee when I get back. That saves money compared with a fixed contract.

When it works, it's OK, not terribly fast, the best speed I have clocked for downloads is about 650 Kbps. Sometimes it dies for a few minutes, and then comes back. Sometimes (like today), it works flawlessly. The T-LAN box was installed here at the end of 2004 I think, so maybe it is getting a bit old. The condo management told me that there are plenty of TT&T (Maxnet) lines available now, and much cheaper, but I don't think I will be staying here much longer, so no point in changing just yet.

Hope that helps.

I pay the same as you, 2000 Baht/month. It's expensive, but when I moved in here there was no alternative. TT&T had no spare lines, TOT (I have a TOT IDD line) were unsure when they would be able to make more ADSL connections available, and CAT wanted to run a new cable up 27 floors, which the owner wasn't too keen on. One advantage is that when I go on a trip for a month or so, I just pay up until the day I leave, and then a 200 Baht reconnection fee when I get back. That saves money compared with a fixed contract.

When it works, it's OK, not terribly fast, the best speed I have clocked for downloads is about 650 Kbps. Sometimes it dies for a few minutes, and then comes back. Sometimes (like today), it works flawlessly. The T-LAN box was installed here at the end of 2004 I think, so maybe it is getting a bit old. The condo management told me that there are plenty of TT&T (Maxnet) lines available now, and much cheaper, but I don't think I will be staying here much longer, so no point in changing just yet.

Hope that helps.

Thanks very much for the info. Much appreciated... But where do I go to get that? WHich shop and how is the set up?

Hope that helps.

Thanks very much for the info. Much appreciated... But where do I go to get that? WHich shop and how is the set up?

The building where you live has to have a T-LAN server installed by True. So it's a kind of communal thing, only worth them doing if they think there will be enough customers to make a profit. Ask your building manager, they will know if one is installed or not. CAT have a similar system, but I don't know what it's called. No external phone line is needed in either case, but you do need a standard telephone socket in the wall to plug the modem into. This is usually the condo's internal telephone system - does your building have this? True's helpdesk can be contacted on 038-727727, 727728, 727729,... etc. They speak English and are usually quite helpful.

The TOT office is in Central Pattaya (Pattaya Klang), not far from Carrefour. Any motorbike or Baht Bus taxi driver should know it.

Hi, Youseem to have got loads of useful replies to your Question already but thought i would give you my 1p worth

It depends how desperate you are for internet.. to how far you will go and how much you will spend.

I used IP Star a few times, satalite internet, works really well but is only about 512 speed, very reliable, 99% UP time i was getting,

not many people use it now so the lines are never busy. the pages load really fast like a 1/2 meg connection.. but max download is 512

It can get costly tho. cause they only give you about 2 gig of traffic per month before you pay extra per MB of trafic.

CAT are good for running a new line direct to your pad. but they currently want 1 month to connect. and its 2800 p/m minimum connection.

EDGE / GPRS / is an option but i would avoid it. too slow. and i think the modem card thingy is about 10K baht minimum. the best thing about these are that you can go almost anywhere and be online. but like i say.. they are slow. the guy came to my building once to demo it for me... the fastest we could get that day was 50kbps but i have heard they go upto 150kbps down hill with the wind behind you if you use it at 4am when everyone else in pattaya are sleeping.

If i was you i would try to connect with one of these companies who have set up WIFI all round pattaya now. jomtien has about 4 companies doing it.. i have no idea if they have got Naklua on tho, try phoning them. (pattaya wifi 086 3232717)

Ive got an old TV satalite on my roof, i attached a USB Wifi Dongle on it with selotape. it picks up over 50 Wifi conections if i point it over jomiten,

many of the hotels are OPEN networks, i can pick up some hotels that are 5 Kilo away from my roof! I also made a couple of home made wifi antennas, with one of those SIV things that they scoop fried food out of large frying pans. i can pick up loads of wifi networks with that too if i pont out of the window. some are of course Locked, but I can crack the WEP codes easilly as long as they are not too far away.

you got loads of options :o

Hi

I see that you are a IP star user, i used to use it too, it was good when i couldnt get a phone line, what part of pattaya are you in?

The sticks?

I turned an old Satalite TV dish into a long range wifi antenna. on my roof i can pick up wifi from 5kilo away.

can you tell me who is this BTV comnpany?? is it satalite internet? or cable or what??

M :o

Edward, did you notice that Edge (AIS) tends to be much slower on weekends - presumably due to higher usage of the AIS network.

My Ipstar has been much better of late - dl speeds in excess of 400kps most of the time, but I pay a whopping 4,100 Baht per month. It also crashes periodically and I have to phone them when it gets too bad and then it is fine for several days.

So I use Ipstar for most of my needs with Edge as a back up, and that keeps me connected.

I can't wait for BTV to get their internet service together again so that I can dump IPstar.

I haven't noticed it's any worse at weekends. It gets bad at certain times of the day. I've also noticed that some base stations are more reliable than others so you get a different connection quality depending on where you are in Pattaya. Sometimes just moving to a different part of the building seems to help.

BTV announced their internet service about a year ago and still nothing so I won't hold my breath.

Edited by edwardandtubs

EDGE / GPRS / is an option but i would avoid it. too slow. and i think the modem card thingy is about 10K baht minimum. the best thing about these are that you can go almost anywhere and be online. but like i say.. they are slow. the guy came to my building once to demo it for me... the fastest we could get that day was 50kbps but i have heard they go upto 150kbps down hill with the wind behind you if you use it at 4am when everyone else in pattaya are sleeping.

You don't need a modem card thingy, just a mobile phone that supports EDGE and a USB cable or bluetooth. I usually get 150kbps down but that slows to about 50 at peak hours.

Hi

I see that you are a IP star user, i used to use it too, it was good when i couldnt get a phone line, what part of pattaya are you in?

The sticks?

I turned an old Satalite TV dish into a long range wifi antenna. on my roof i can pick up wifi from 5kilo away.

can you tell me who is this BTV comnpany?? is it satalite internet? or cable or what??

M :o

Yes, I'm in the sticks. Pong - near to Mabprachan lake, so not much chance of connecting into someone's wifi. I've actually got two phone lines, but I'm too far out to get reliable broadband - I tried TT&T and had to give up as it wasn't any good.

BTV is Banglamung Cable TV - very similar to Sophon TV. As Monty has posted, they installed it for him, (just down the road from me), but have now suspended the installation for new subscribers. So I'm waiting.

BTV announced their internet service about a year ago and still nothing so I won't hold my breath.

I have internet through BTV for 4 months now!

Maybe I was thinking of Sophon. Didn't they announce a cable internet service that never materialised?

indeed, with an article in I think Pattaya mail or so.

As you state, it never materialized, and last when I went for info, they told they canned the project altogether...

I have had IP star for almost 2 years, it's a pile of poo!!!!! Very unreliable, very slow 90% of the time and when you get a problem it takes ages to sort out. I have had to tell them I was going to take the equipment and leave it in the soi for them to collect just to get an engineer here, he was here for 3 days "fixing" the problem which started again 2 weeks later!!!!

Very bad customer service department!!!