More Women Seek Legal Help Over Mistresses

george

Women seek legal help over mistresses

BANGKOK: -- More married women are seeking legal advice on compensation from husbands' lovers, the Women Lawyers' Association of Thailand revealed yesterday.

"We have seen more women coming forward about this," the association's chairwoman Suthinee Metheeprapha said.

Legislation entitling wives to compensation from husbands' mistresses took effect last year.

"Compensation can range from Bt10,000 to Bt1 million," Suthinee said.

She added that com-pensation varied, depending on the social status of the parties involved.

In a bid to protect women's rights, the association yesterday called on the Social Development and Human Security Ministry to ensure enforcement of laws, including the compensation legislation.

"At present, the process is too complicated, especially when lovers are civil servants," Suthinee said.

She added that lawsuits could be used to "shame" women who had extramarital affairs.

According to Suthinee, about 60 per cent of women coming to her association wanted legal help with divorce.

"They complain of physical abuse, extrama-rital affairs or the discovery that their husbands are homosexual," Suthinee said.

Social Development and Human Security Minister Sutha Chansaeng pledged to promote the well-being of families.

-- The Nation 2008-02-27

QUOTE (twschw @ 2008-02-27 17:32:54)

Perhaps I am dense but what is the compensation for?

The loss of face.... ? The lack of hubby around as he spends 3/4 mights with the "other" woman! The knowledge that he is with another woman and that people within their social circle may well be aware of the 'other woman'.

It seems from conversations I have had with modern Thai married working women and married Thai housewives (who are all well educated), they no longer put up with this......

If it happens, Hubby is given an ultimate - her or me? And if he was to choose "Her", Hubby is threatened with the reality - the costs of International Schools for the kids and High Household costs/Living expenses etc....

Guess what the outcome usually is?

Hubby stays home with first wife. However, the reality is (I am sure) if Hubby wants to play away, he's gonna do it but he is gonna have to pay in terms of new handbags/clothes/family trips abroad etc....

As the Thais often say 'Up toyou'... Depends on the woman and depends what she really wants from her life and marriage...

Edited by Andiamo

If it happens, Hubby is given an ultimate - her or me? And if he was to choose "Her", Hubby is threatened with the reality - the costs of International Schools for the kids and High Household costs/Living expenses etc....

Me think it will be doom for thai husbands mostly.

Farangs already paying every possible ways for family expenses.

Can't think a usually not "hiso" wife of farang would close the money tap for a one time "compansation for face loss" with a divorce.

I fail to understand the rationale behind this law. I remember when it was first being introduced, but what exactly it's all about alludes me. This much I can say, though, I think it would be easier to have a 'short-time rental' than to keep a Mia Noi and probably cheaper.

I fail to understand the rationale behind this law. I remember when it was first being introduced, but what exactly it's all about alludes me. This much I can say, though, I think it would be easier to have a 'short-time rental' than to keep a Mia Noi and probably cheaper.

I quite agree, If it f__ks, flys, or floats, (woman, airplane, boat) lease it. Better not to own and cheaper.

Since when anything has to be rationale in the land of smiles – that’s why we love the place

The loss of face.... ? The lack of hubby around as he spends 3/4 mights with the "other" woman! The knowledge that he is with another woman and that people within their social circle may well be aware of the 'other woman'.

It seems from conversations I have had with modern Thai married working women and married Thai housewives (who are all well educated), they no longer put up with this......

Hubby stays home with first wife. However, the reality is (I am sure) if Hubby wants to play away, he's gonna do it but he is gonna have to pay in terms of new handbags/clothes/family trips abroad etc....

As the Thais often say 'Up toyou'... Depends on the woman and depends what she really wants from her life and marriage...

Tingtong,

Just to clarify, I was talking about my experience of 'Thai' wives with 'Thai' husbands and not farang husbands.

Thanks!

:o

According to Suthinee, about 60 per cent of women coming to her association wanted legal help with divorce.

"They complain of physical abuse, extrama-rital affairs or the discovery that their husbands are homosexual," Suthinee said.

We westerners think of Thailand as a gay paradise - and it is for us, but spare a thought for gay Thai guys who can't come out of the closet and have pressure put on them to marry and have children.

Peter

We westerners think of Thailand as a gay paradise - and it is for us, but spare a thought for gay Thai guys who can't come out of the closet and have pressure put on them to marry and have children.

Peter

Sorry to differ Peter, but gay paradise isnt my first tought about Thailand... :D:o

But everybody enjoy what they like. I am a different westerner then!