Water Filters - How Often Do You Change 'em?

bangkokeddy

I have a 3 stage filter, has been fine for about 3 months, but now the water smells and tastes rank. I've never cleaned the filters and one of them is now in a disgusting state, I think it's the resin or ploypropene cartridge (dunno, g/f mixed up the labels and binned the instructions) but it's made of a brittle material and has no outer casing. I'm not sure how to clean it and it's a disgusitng brown colour so I'll buy a new one. Question is, is there an easy way to clean this filter and extend it's life, or will I have to replace it every 3 months? the other filters look easy to clean and are probably good for another 6 months or so.

Despite the sudden drop in quality, the last few months have been great and the water has been fine to drink - it's a Turbora model, but I think all the models are pretty much the same - quality just depends on the quality of the filter and how often you clean it I reckon.

The brittle one is most likely the ceramic filter. That one will last for a long time and when it needs cleaned the water will slow to a trickle. I normally soak mine overnight in household bleach and scrub the outside with a bristle brush. That filter is the one that removes the microscopic particles of nearly everything. After soaking it in bleach it is a good idea to try to flush it from the inside out. The other important one is usually an activated charcoal filter. That activated charcoal should be replaced if there is any taste or odor from the water. There is no way to clean it. Activated charcoal is an amazing material. It removes odors, heavy metals and other dangerous impurities. The first filter in line is probably a sediment filter and can be back flushed.

I have a 3 stage filter, has been fine for about 3 months, but now the water smells and tastes rank. I've never cleaned the filters and one of them is now in a disgusting state, I think it's the resin or ploypropene cartridge (dunno, g/f mixed up the labels and binned the instructions) but it's made of a brittle material and has no outer casing. I'm not sure how to clean it and it's a disgusitng brown colour so I'll buy a new one. Question is, is there an easy way to clean this filter and extend it's life, or will I have to replace it every 3 months? the other filters look easy to clean and are probably good for another 6 months or so.

Despite the sudden drop in quality, the last few months have been great and the water has been fine to drink - it's a Turbora model, but I think all the models are pretty much the same - quality just depends on the quality of the filter and how often you clean it I reckon.

Not sure but does your system have reverse osmosis and how important to a system is it. Also does your system have a UV light (heard this kills bacteria?)

I want to get one as well. Dont have a problem spending money on this.. but I want the best and dont want to overspend on hype and marketing for some piece o shyt. I shy away from anyone where they are in the buy now or you pay twice as much tomorrow.. The minute that marketing is taken out of the bag.. whatever the company is I scratch it off the list.

Great advice, many thanks. I gave it a soak and a scrub and it's looking better. These things really need to be maintained and cleaned regulalry, not just changed once a year like the salesman said.

Mine's basic, I think it was less than 3000 baht, but it seems to do the trick, I think cleaning once a fortnight would keep it in excellent order, if I could be bothered. It doesn't have the UV, but I think for a 1000 extra it might be a good idea, especially if yuo use well water. Water doesn't taste any different to the bottled stuff. I'm not sure if the expensive kits are really worth the extra cash, that's if they still use the same cartridges. However, the metal ones probably last longer than the plastic jobbies I have.

Anyhow, after all the effort cleaning the filters I decided I'd have a beer instead...

Why don't you just buy bottled water ? At least it's cleaner and really not expensive.

I don't trust these filters as you don't know what can be left in the water after filtering. There are so many pwsticides and chemicals thrown in the water here that the amount paid for bottled water is worth it.

Why don't you just buy bottled water ? At least it's cleaner and really not expensive.

I don't trust these filters as you don't know what can be left in the water after filtering. There are so many pwsticides and chemicals thrown in the water here that the amount paid for bottled water is worth it.

I am using bottled water now... and found a company that delivers.. but we have been getting bottles that taste and smell like chlorine... not heavy but a ight smell that has us worried. We use alot of water and I don't want to be going to get it from the store all the time... either we get the company that delivers that delivers something consistently or we get a system to purify the tap water. I am out Hang Dong way ... is there more than one provider that delivers?

I save my 6 liter bottles & use the water stations for 6 baht a fill up. Fill 3 bottles good for almost a week 2-3 months replace bottles. The problem I find with water filter system is the cost. In 40 years of getting water for 1 baht a liter you don't save anything & you are always having you fiddle with the filters. I let them do that. You do have to pay attention to the Quality of the water station ...that they don't get lazy or cheap & not maintain their water system as well as check your own bottles if they start smelling stanky ...toss em. In the U.S. It cost 400% more to maintain your water system The filters are God awful expensive. If you pick the water up opposed to the truck it is 50% cheaper also.

You do have to pay attention to the Quality of the water station ...that they don't get lazy or cheap & not maintain their water system.

And exactly how do you do this :o

At least you know the state of the filtration if you do it yourself and follow the maintenance instructions.

It is a lot more expensive to do it yourself but at least you know what you get. They are busting drinking water suppliers in Pattaya on a regular basis for selling a bad product and using chemicals that should be nowhere near your drinking water.

I have tested the tap water in Pattaya and it is perfectly ok to drink BUT it depends heavily on your distribution system. If you sometimes get water via water truck you could get just about anything.

I guess it's better for the environment if you filter the water yourself - water is heavy = takes a lot of fuel to deliver it over time = bigger carbon footprint. The cost of fuel is going up so the cost of delivery and bottled water should rise also in time, whereas the cost of the filters is coming down from what I can see. If you have a house that uses a lot of water like ours and/or a well and free water supply, self filtration may be best. If you only use a little water, probably bottled stuff is less hassle (not necessarily cleaner).

On your question regarding change intervals, my manual (for a RO system) says:

1. Sediment filter, the first filter in the clear housing, should be changed every 3 months.

2. Active charcoal filter, second filter, should be changed every 6 months.

3. Resin filter, third filter, should be changed every 12 months.

4. RO membrane should be changed every 12 months.

5. Post active charcoal filter should be changed every 9 months.

You probably only have the first three filters.

I guess filters 1 and 3 could be cleaned but that will only give you a limited extension and could compromise the water quality.

IF you don't have a UV filter you could use SODIS to remove all bacteria from your drinking water. This could be used on the water from your filter or the tap water if you have city water. SODIS is used by millions around Africa, South America and Asia to provide them with safe drinking water for free.

SODIS will remove all bacteria but NOT any chemical contaminants. City water in Thailand is generally ok to drink, at least it is tested and verified at the purification station. The problem is that bacteria could enter the water supply on the way to your home, normally there would be no chemical contamination in city water.

This is how SODIS work:

Fill a clear water bottle with water from your filter or city tap water.

Lay the bottle down in the sun.

Wait for 6 hours if it is a clear day or up to two days if cloudy.

All the bacteria will now be dead and the water should be good to drink.

For more info see:

http://www.sodis.ch/index.htm

You do have to pay attention to the Quality of the water station ...that they don't get lazy or cheap & not maintain their water system.

And exactly how do you do this :o

At least you know the state of the filtration if you do it yourself and follow the maintenance instructions.

It is a lot more expensive to do it yourself but at least you know what you get. They are busting drinking water suppliers in Pattaya on a regular basis for selling a bad product and using chemicals that should be nowhere near your drinking water.

I have tested the tap water in Pattaya and it is perfectly ok to drink BUT it depends heavily on your distribution system. If you sometimes get water via water truck you could get just about anything.

Usually you can tell a lot by the smell.That & if there is algae growing out of the spigot. That is the only problem I found in the last 4 &1/2 years.

When I was in America- I had my Pur system tested by San Francisco water mgmt.. after 6 weeks used. They told me the water was close to 50 % garbage. Up to you according to the math & present consumption of 3 liters of water a day x (2 people) I would break even at 112 years old. And I let them hassle with the filters. The only way you will ever know is paying for the expensive tests for the water . It is not as much what you can see it is the harmful bacteria's you can't see.

My water system in Cali. looked fine & smelled fine....but was loaded with microorganisms that were unhealthy!

If you are really concerned about really being serious about water purity Boil your water before drinking.

Every Govn. site will say this is the best thing to do.

Edited by Beardog

I was buying water in the big translucent plastic bottles for a long time. One day I discovered mosquito larvae swimming around in a bottle that I had just taken the seal off of.

No thanks. I'll just keep using my water filters.

I was buying water in the big translucent plastic bottles for a long time. One day I discovered mosquito larvae swimming around in a bottle that I had just taken the seal off of.

Oooh that is gross I don't blame you I would buy a home unit if I ever saw that too!

Ah bottled water , you have absolutely no idea of where the contents come from or the actual purity of the contents , too many companies just run water from the tap through a common filter system , it's all about PROFIT . Reverse osmosis on the other hand does an excellent job , my daughter in Canada has used this system for years , but to play safe has the water quality checked every few months . The word incompetence comes to mind , the quality control at water bottling plants is only as good as the intent and compliance of testing , e-coli is a dangerous , life threatning end product of incompetence , check Canada for the Walkerton incidence of water management incompetence ! Incompetence: the failure to bring the expediant measures and knowledge to the operation at hand .

I buy bottled water. In the west, Evian and Volvic but here Nestle Pure Life at about Bt50 or so for 6 1.5L bottles and Bt30 or so for the 6L one. Could never be bothered with the filter method and I'd never have the large ones which they deliver as I cannot see them ever being hygenic.

Regarding the "why not buy bottled water rather than use a relatively expensive home filtering system" question, I would ask how many folks wash their dishes with trucked-in water? My condo is 100% trucked-in water, and it is no way close to sterile. I wash and rinse my dishes with filtered water. That's tedious, if not difficult, to do with bottled water, though not impossible, I suppose.

I've seen a couple of those trucks stopped alongside the road with their hoses dropped into roadside ponds. Would you wash your dishes in those ponds?

And, if you saw the crud that I have to scrub off the ceramic filter every month or so, you'd be less likely to use that water for your dishes.

• 9 months later...

How do you know how the bottled water is filtered, Have you been to where this is done, How Clean and how long has it been in the plastic bottle, How good is the Plastic, I have been buying bottled water for many years, I now wonder how close it is checked in Thailand, How often do they clean their filter system, Just maybe we are better off using a home filter, keeping the water in a glass container and knowing how often the filter is cleaned, Just maybe, Health and Happiness to All

• 5 months later...

This depend on variables such as your household's water usage, flow of water through filter and dirt,these symptoms makes water smells and tastes worse.I recommend you to change water filter cartridges every three months, so that the material and the outer casing purifies water and keeps water clean and purity.Hope this will help you.