Koh Phangan Film Festival In April?

I just checked their website: www.phanganfilmfestival.com

Apparently the venue will be announced shortly - Festival takes place on 5th and 6th April.

Hope this is real: High time someone arranges an alternative to all those lame parties...

I'll be there!!!

Hi Cirk,

Thanks for the link... I agree, sounds great!

Have a good one...

High time someone arranges an alternative to all those lame parties...

for real- i hope with more development at least some talent and ideas start flowing in here. would love to see live music etc. too!

High time someone arranges an alternative to all those lame parties...

for real- i hope with more development at least some talent and ideas start flowing in here. would love to see live music etc. too!

As I just moved here, I would love to hear about other cultural events on the islands as well. Are there any other related posts that I missed???

Ha ha. That's your lot I am afraid and just count yourself lucky you have arrived now as there was never anything like this before. Samui and Phangan are sadly lacking in any kind of cultural events (cinema, art, music), not counting the Thai celebrations which are always worth a look in (the Miss Elephant show at Loy Krathong in Ban Tai should not have been missed by anyone!). The Blue Moon festival had a great line up but I was working and the weather was rubbish.

But then I feel a bit rich bemoaning the lack of cultural events as I should instead just get up off my bum and plan something. Hmmm.

This is what I found posted on the event's website today:

www.phanganfilmfestival.com/festival.html

This year's PFF will take place at the spacious Holiday Beach Resort in the outskirts of Koh Phangan's biggest town Thongsala. The resort is located 100 meters off the main road that connects Thongsala and Baan Tai. As you drive from Thongsala towards Baan Tai (and Haad Rin) watch out for a big Yamaha shop on your left hand side, the resort's driveway is right opposite that landmark.

xxxELLAxxx

From the Facebook Page...

The latest addition to an already varied program, prominently featuring our island – We just HAD to show it!!!

Last Stop for Paul (USA, 2006, 81 mins.) is ‘The most Award Winning Independent Film of 2007” with 45 International Festival Awards!

Cliff and Charlie live boring lives in LA. In an effort to spice up their existence, Charlie suggests they go to the famous Full Moon Party in Thailand. Cliff agrees with the condition that in order to go they purchase around the world tickets and see the globe first. Together they embark on a trip of a lifetime as they travel to the Caribbeans, South America, Europe and Asia. Shot in over 20 countries, Cliff and Charlie have unbelievable adventures in every location and their lives are changed forever.

What critics say:

“Better than SIDEWAYS”

- Lisa Matte, Editor in Chief, Global Traveller

“I loved it… a charming travel film the likes of which you’ve never seen.”

- Stephan Wilkinson, Condé Nast Traveller

xxxELLAxxx

• 3 weeks later...

Here a message to the Facebook members:

###

Fellow film-freaks and beach-bums:

In less than a week some of us will be traveling to Koh Phangan to attend the First Annual Phangan Film Festival http://www.phanganfilmfestival.com

In order to get you safely through the sad few days leading up to the event, here some infos and updates:

WHERE DO I LAY MY HEAD?

Whether you are on a budget or deserve a treat, Phangan has multiple accommodation options for you to choose from. PFF has selected three recommended resorts and negotiated special deals: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=4732...;oid=8459550955

WAIDDAMINIT: THERE'S NO CINEMA ON THE ISLAND! HOW DO THEY PULL IT OFF?

The roof: Millions of stars

The background music: Breaking of waves

The air-con: A gentle see breeze

The movie screen: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=4732...mp;id=523818596

WHAT DOES THE MIGHTY MEDIA SAY?

Quite a lot, actually: PFF is prominently featured in several newspapers and magazines, SAMUI CHANNEL has become our official Media Partner and radio stations nationwide have picked up on the event: http://jumpcut.com/view?id=49D3C2FAFE7A11DCAAC4000423CF381C

SHOULD I BRING MY IPOD?

Not necessarily, as PFF conveniently provides you with a world-class Indian Ambient performance as well: Internationally renowned Saraswati Veena player Anand Jagota will jam on Saturday April 5 before the first movie screening between 18.45 and 19.30

So get ready, pack your bags: See you on the islands!

• 9 months later...

Please support one of the few good, cultural initiatives on the island!

From 20th to 22nd February 2009 in Holiday Beach Resort, between Bantai an Thong Sala

phanganfilmfestival.com

p.s.: I don't have any connection or interest with the P.F.F.

follow that (vinil :o sign

all film description can be found at their web site, it looks like we get an intersting program. Hope there are more people then last year. There were some pretty good films. I just remember the hula school for man, quit impresive. Btw it is on a nice location (Holiday Beach Resort).

GreenPhangan will have a stand there

• 4 weeks later...

besides the 3 nights of screenings (6 films on each night), there will be a filmmaking workshop with stephen nemeth (executive producer of fear and loathing in las vegas with johnny depp): saturday afternoon 14.00 to ca. 16, email ***email removed per forum rules***if interested to attend and to reserve your space (limited).

I think we must support such kind of initiatives, bringing something more 'cultural' in KPG. An I hope TV guys are enough "stupid" to have a look to the phanganfilmfestival.com site.

First day of films is 22nd!!

:o

yep, but with the right dates, anguid!!!!

20.2. - 22.2.2009

can u drive to there ? I ws thinking of putting my car in the ferry from samui to KPG, and drive to the festival... is it a good idea ? I've been living in samui for a year, and beleive it or not, I've never been to KPG since then!

Thanks

Good idea come to see Koh Phangan, it worth the trip! But sorry, no more car ferry Samui-Phangan... But many fast connections to Thong Sala and Haad Rin (Lompraiah, Seatran, Songserm, Haad Rin Queen)

Good idea come to see Koh Phangan, it worth the trip! But sorry, no more car ferry Samui-Phangan... But many fast connections to Thong Sala and Haad Rin (Lompraiah, Seatran, Songserm, Haad Rin Queen)

dam_n.. I don't think I'll go then, I gon't want to deal with taxis and songtaew :o too bad

dam_n.. I don't think I'll go then, I gon't want to deal with taxis and songtaew :o too bad

From the map it looks almost walking distance from Thong Sala so "public" transport shouldn't be a problem. KPGers - is that right?

Went over for the Sat night showings and left with an overall good impression. They had Stephen Nemeth - one of the producers of "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas" giving a talk to attendees before the films got started. The locale right on the beach was classic. If I'm around again next year I'll be sure to go. Anyone else here go?

Went over for the Sat night showings and left with an overall good impression. They had Stephen Nemeth - one of the producers of "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas" giving a talk to attendees before the films got started. The locale right on the beach was classic. If I'm around again next year I'll be sure to go. Anyone else here go?

I went friday only but liked the music movie "Laya Project" (2007 India/Malaysia) very much, great sound, great drums, great voices and great cut. Would love to heare some more about saturday and sunday. Anyway great location. Hope we can join the 3rd PFF next year!

movie here: http://www.layaproject.com/layaproject/index.html