Driving Into Malaysia (blue Log Book Is Kept By The Finance)

fwwong

Guys,

I am a Malaysian, working in Thailand over 2 years. I plan to drive my Thai registered car to Malaysia next week. However, i have yet to finish the car loan. Another 2 more years to finish. The Blue Registration Log Book is kept by the finance now.

I have two questions for you guys:

Q1. Can i still drive the car to Malaysia without the Blue Log Book? However, i do have the original Hire Purchase agreement issued by the Finance and also a photocopy of my car log book. Besides Passport, English plate number sticker and also insurance, what else do i need it?

Q2. How long does the Malaysia customs allow me to drive the Thai registered car in Malaysia (maximum duration)? How much would that be then?

Pls advise.

Cheers!

Rgds,

Derek :o

Edited by fwwong

Guys,

I am a Malaysian, working in Thailand over 2 years. I plan to drive my Thai registered car to Malaysia next week. However, i have yet to finish the car loan. Another 2 more years to finish. The Blue Registration Log Book is kept by the finance now.

I have two questions for you guys:

Q1. Can i still drive the car to Malaysia without the Blue Log Book? However, i do have the original Hire Purchase agreement issued by the Finance and also a photocopy of my car log book. Besides Passport, English plate number sticker and also insurance, what else do i need it?

Q2. How long does the Malaysia customs allow me to drive the Thai registered car in Malaysia (maximum duration)? How much would that be then?

Pls advise.

Cheers!

Rgds,

Derek :o

I don't think its possible.

I think you have to have the log book to exit the country.

I suspect that if you read the fine print of the loan agreement it may forbid you taking the car out of the country.

It kind of makes sense.

Cheers

I don't think its possible.

I think you have to have the log book to exit the country.

I suspect that if you read the fine print of the loan agreement it may forbid you taking the car out of the country.

It kind of makes sense.

Cheers

Thanks for your reply. In that case, i shall settle the balance of the loan next week.

Q1. Do you have any idea how long it takes for the finance to release the log book to me once i have settled the balance of the loan?

Q2. I have just renewed the road tax recently. How long can i drive the Thai registered car in Malaysia for? (maximum duration)?

Pls advise.

Took about a week for the boy's book to come after paying off finance co.

Thanks for your advise. Oh... then i better postpone my trip to Malaysia till later.

Meanwhile, any idea if i can bring my bicycles from here to Malaysia for cycling? If can, i will carry it in my car.

Thanks for your advise. Oh... then i better postpone my trip to Malaysia till later.

Meanwhile, any idea if i can bring my bicycles from here to Malaysia for cycling? If can, i will carry it in my car.

just stick it on the roof rack not a problem ,have to get insurance for malaysia in songkla

just stick it on the roof rack not a problem ,have to get insurance for malaysia in songkla

Thanks buddy! Gosh! I just dismantled my bicycle tyres and thought of putting it in the car cabin. Hope it doesn't consider it as illegal.

Q1. Oh... as for the insurance, are there lots of insurance agents near the border? Or should i purchase the insurance in Songkla before heading down south (border)?

Q2. How much does it cost for the 3rd party insurance?

Q3. Can anyone briefly explain to me what would be the best way (safe, quick and easy way) to drive down from BKK to the border of Malaysia? It doesn't matter if it is a little far. How many hours to reach the border?

Q4. What time does the Thai and Malaysia immigration close and reopen?

Q5. Is it dangerous if i drive down by myself from BKK to the southern border? Or should i get someone to come with me? My Thai language is lousy. Hehe... :o

Cheers!

I drive my girlfriends car to malaysia no blue book as its on finance had no problems been 4 times in it now last time was 2 months ago.

you get insurance from Malaysia, after you drive thru customs there a row of shops on the right hand side minimum insurance is for 1 month costs about 800 thb they also do the english number plates i think they are about 200thb

you should have all your documents translated into english from the thai goverment where you do your driving license and register your car sorry forget what you call it.

Then you need to get a tax disc thing from the malaysian motoring office which is next to the shop this is free

they also change money at he insurers you will need some for the tolls

I drive my girlfriends car to malaysia no blue book as its on finance had no problems been 4 times in it now last time was 2 months ago.

you get insurance from Malaysia, after you drive thru customs there a row of shops on the right hand side minimum insurance is for 1 month costs about 800 thb they also do the english number plates i think they are about 200thb

you should have all your documents translated into english from the thai goverment where you do your driving license and register your car sorry forget what you call it.

Then you need to get a tax disc thing from the malaysian motoring office which is next to the shop this is free

they also change money at he insurers you will need some for the tolls

Yo bro,

Thanks for your input. As i read through some posts before, they advise me to get ready passport, valid driving license and blue book. Haven't they asked you to prove the owner of the vehicle you drove each time you passed through the immigration? How complicated to go through the immigration custom in Thailand and Malaysia? I will be carrying two bicycles with me, together with my girl friend.

What sort of documents that i need to translate into English? Can i do it myself with pencil written next to it? Or it must be endorsed by Thai government? If compulsory, where can i do it?

Oh yes, i was told it is dangerous to drive through the 3 down-south provinces after Hatyai. Is that true? Which is the best route that i should use to avoid troubles?

Once i pass through Malaysia border, i am not that afraid any more, because i was born in Malaysia. So, i know some police officers there which can help me through till i reach KL.

Thanks buddy!

When you get to thai immigration you park your car get out and go to the immigration once your passport is stamped back in the car and drive straight thru to malysian immigration, yes the cars my girlfriends and no blue book but have a photocopy.

The translation has to be done by the government at the same place that issues driving license you only need this for

the tax disc from the malaysian government, You can also pay the insurance shop 300thb and they will get you the disc without the translated papers.

FWW,

Hope you post a report of your experiences!

I gave advice as to what I'd heard rather than what I'd actually done , the advice gets repeated and repeated until its taken as fact.

Happens very often here on TV.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Sure thing! I will keep all of you updated once i reach Kuala Lumpur. Wish me luck!

Can anyone guide me which is the safest and best way to drive from Hatyai without going through the 3 provinces at down south? Because i just saw the TV news that, bomb scares were reported at Patani and one Swedish girl was raped and killed at Phuket.

Pls advise.

FWW,

Hope you post a report of your experiences!

I gave advice as to what I'd heard rather than what I'd actually done , the advice gets repeated and repeated until its taken as fact.

Happens very often here on TV.

Cheers

Yo bro,

I shall be leaving BKK tomorrow early morning heading down to Hatyai first. Will spend a night there before i continue my journey back to KL. Will post a complete process involves when crossing the Southern border. Stau tuned and wish me luck!

Yo bro,

I shall be leaving BKK tomorrow early morning heading down to Hatyai first. Will spend a night there before i continue my journey back to KL. Will post a complete process involves when crossing the Southern border. Stau tuned and wish me luck!

Good luck, fw!

Thanx in advance for detailing the whole process.

I plan to be driving my car all the way to JB later in the year.

I have just flown back in to Phuket having driven my smashed-up Thai Land Rover to KL for repair last week.

The border was easy. Exiting Thailand I had to show the blue book, which I’d forgotten was not in my name but that of my Thai company (Here we go, I thought). I hadn’t prepared the letter of authorisation on company letterhead that was apparently needed, but they let me pass anyway.

On entering the Malaysian side, no one was interested in the car at all. After having my passport stamped (I have a ten-year MM2H visa) my Thai car was just waved through.

The maximum vehicle stay is apparently three months (which is plenty for my repair) but since no paperwork at all was issued, I can’t see how this is enforced.

I was not offered the tax sticker others have spoken of. Maybe I’ll have a problem on the return trip, I have no idea.

The Southern Thai highways are OK to good, and those on the Malaysian side absolutely world-class.

Personally I chose not to break the journey in Southern Thailand, but in Penang, which is lovely.

Don’t worry about security. You are travelling at speed on major highways. Even genuine war zones, which these areas are emphatically not, are relatively safe under these conditions.

It probably depends on your finance company. We bought a car that still had a loan, so the owner took us to his finance company and they gave us the book on the spot.

John

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys,

I am finally back from Kuala Lumpur to Phatalung (Southern Thailand).

As promised, i will share with all of you about my experience driving into Malaysia and out from Malaysia (on 25 Mar 2008). BTW, pls drive towards Hatyai and then head down to SADAO immigration for safety reason.

Driving into Malaysia (MY)

Check List:

- Blue Log Book

- Translation from Thai to English (by Road Transportation only) : Optional

- Valid Passport

Procedure:

- Buy insurance & road tax at the Thai border. (pls bear in mind that, the Road Tax office only open after 3pm)

- Car Sticker (Number Plate translation)

- You need to decide whether ONE, THREE or SIX month's entry. (I paid for 3 months. Was told by the Immigration Officer that 6 months are a bit tough to get it, as you will be questioned.)

- Optional: Pay around THB3,600 to the Immigration Officer + THB300 tips. He will do all the ground work for you and to ensure that you sit in your car.

- Once you have all the required documents, cross over the bridge into Malaysia.

* Pls do not pump Full Petrol. Leave only 5 Litre left will do, because it is much cheaper to pump petrol after cross over to Malaysia (2km away from border) at RM1.92 / Litre (= THB19.20 / litre) for Unleaded 97 or RM2.05 / Litre (= THB20.50 / Litre) for Unleaded 97 Premium with Octane, called V-Power from Shell.

** All used electrical appliances are tax free.

Driving out from Malaysia back to Thailand

Check List:

- Passport only.

- Keep Blue Log Book incase it is required for inspection.

Procedure:

- Get your Passport Stamped at MY side.

- Drive the car over the Bridge.

- Park the car at the designated car park (Free) and get out from car to stamp passport at Thai immigration.

- Get in to your car and drive through it. No inspection required.

- Sometimes, it depends.

- Welcome back to Thailand.

Hope it helps!

:o

Rgds,

Derek Wong

Edited by fwwong

• 1 month later...

<< .... the Malaysian side, no one was interested in the car at all. After having my passport stamped (I have a ten-year MM2H visa) my Thai car was just waved through.

The maximum vehicle stay is apparently three months (which is plenty for my repair) but since no paperwork at all was issued, I can’t see how this is enforced.

I was not offered the tax sticker others have spoken of. Maybe I’ll have a problem on the return trip, I have no idea. >>

I've driven scores of times between my homes in Chiang Mai and Singapore and/or between places in between those two and have never before heard of anyone being in Malaysia without the proper authorizing documentation.

I'd reckon you were extremely fortunate on any number of counts, including that you were not spotted by police (for driving an unregistered and uninsured vehicle and one not carrying number plates - for starters) and especially that you didn't have and accident while not insured in Malaysia.

Insurance is sold immediately inside the border and the insurance guys - particularly the (Kurnia Insurans (Malaysia) Berhad) one nearest the International Circulation Permit issuing office are most helpful. Sticking with that office, the man there will make you the required Malaysian number plate and will bring you to the Transport office and help you with the forms and procedures.

The following are the instructions from the Malaysian Government's site. "ICP" is International Circulation Permit - effectively a temporary Malaysian motor vehicle registration.

QUOTE:

ICP Application Procedure for foreign vehicles

The rules for foreign vehicles and drivers entering Malaysia are based on the Motor Vehicles (International Circulation) Rules 1967.

International Circulation Permit (ICP) Issue Requirements

1. Submission of form JPJK9 and the above condition is met. The application form is free.

2. Complies with and approved by the Malaysian Port Customs for the vehicle to be brought into Malaysia (if the vehicle is brought in via the port).

3. The validity period of the ICP is 90 days and may be extended on the approval of the State RTD Director for a further period of 90 days, which shall not exceed 180 days in a year.

However, motor vehicles from Singapore and Brunei are exempted from these rules.

MAIN REQUIREMENTS

A.Entry Requirements for Private Vehicles

1. The vehicle should be registered in the country of origin.

2. The registration number is displayed in Roman characters (red registration number from Thailand is not allowed entry).

3. Possesses a vehicle registration certificate with Malay or English translation.

4. Possesses a third party insurance cover (Malaysian insurance).

5. Complying with the rules under the Motor Vehicles (Construction and Use) Rules 1959.

6. The front windscreen should permit not less than 75% light transmission while the side windows and rear windscreen should permit not less than 50% light transmission.

7. Possesses a driving licence with Malay or English translation.

8. Motorcyclists are required to wear safety helmets.

9. Car or van drivers are required to wear seatbelts.

B.Entry Requirements for Commercial Vehicles

1. All goods and public service vehicles including decontrolled vehicles (pick-ups) must comply with the requirements stipulated by the Commercial Vehicle Licensing Board (CVLB), Ministry of Culture, Arts and Heritage, Road Transport Department or relevant authorities.

2. Drivers of goods vehicles, public service vehicles and decontrolled vehicles (pick-ups) must have a Goods Driving Licence (GDL), Public Service Vehicle (PSV) Licence and Conductor’s Licence recognised by the Government of Malaysia.

END QUOTE.

Good luck driving home.

Best ones - Brian [/size][/size]

[/size]

When you get to thai immigration you park your car get out and go to the immigration once your passport is stamped back in the car and drive straight thru to malysian immigration, yes the cars my girlfriends and no blue book but have a photocopy.

The translation has to be done by the government at the same place that issues driving license you only need this for

the tax disc from the malaysian government, You can also pay the insurance shop 300thb and they will get you the disc without the translated papers.

Thats exactly what I did on my mates motorbike.. I never did any of the paperwork that the forums all say is essential. Just got off the bike, did the personal passport issue like a foot passenger, then got back on the bike and rode to the kiosks for drivers, once she saw my passport was stamped exit she just waved me on through.

I've driven scores of times between my homes in Chiang Mai and Singapore and/or between places in between those two and have never before heard of anyone being in Malaysia without the proper authorizing documentation.

I'd reckon you were extremely fortunate on any number of counts, including that you were not spotted by police (for driving an unregistered and uninsured vehicle and one not carrying number plates - for starters) and especially that you didn't have and accident while not insured in Malaysia.

Well you can count a second one now.

Halo,

One small question but very important. If your Thai car is stolen in Malaysia do you it back from your Thai insurance through first class policy? I know it won't happen just curious about the coverage.

you insurance won't cover you the second you leave Thai territory and it says as much on the policy document. Only 3rd party insurance is available for Thai registred cars in Malaysia. However, it probably doesn't hurt to call your insurance provider to see what they can do for you.

• 4 weeks later...
Hi guys,

I am finally back from Kuala Lumpur to Phatalung (Southern Thailand).

As promised, i will share with all of you about my experience driving into Malaysia and out from Malaysia (on 25 Mar 2008). BTW, pls drive towards Hatyai and then head down to SADAO immigration for safety reason.

Driving into Malaysia (MY)

Check List:

- Blue Log Book

- Translation from Thai to English (by Road Transportation only) : Optional

- Valid Passport

Procedure:

- Buy insurance & road tax at the Thai border. (pls bear in mind that, the Road Tax office only open after 3pm)

- Car Sticker (Number Plate translation)

- You need to decide whether ONE, THREE or SIX month's entry. (I paid for 3 months. Was told by the Immigration Officer that 6 months are a bit tough to get it, as you will be questioned.)

- Optional: Pay around THB3,600 to the Immigration Officer + THB300 tips. He will do all the ground work for you and to ensure that you sit in your car.

- Once you have all the required documents, cross over the bridge into Malaysia.

* Pls do not pump Full Petrol. Leave only 5 Litre left will do, because it is much cheaper to pump petrol after cross over to Malaysia (2km away from border) at RM1.92 / Litre (= THB19.20 / litre) for Unleaded 97 or RM2.05 / Litre (= THB20.50 / Litre) for Unleaded 97 Premium with Octane, called V-Power from Shell.

** All used electrical appliances are tax free.

Driving out from Malaysia back to Thailand

Check List:

- Passport only.

- Keep Blue Log Book incase it is required for inspection.

Procedure:

- Get your Passport Stamped at MY side.

- Drive the car over the Bridge.

- Park the car at the designated car park (Free) and get out from car to stamp passport at Thai immigration.

- Get in to your car and drive through it. No inspection required.

- Sometimes, it depends.

- Welcome back to Thailand.

Hope it helps!

:o

Rgds,

Derek Wong

What was the THB3,600 for???

THing is that my car is of course in my wife's name and its still under finance. Haven't seen the blue book but I am sure we got a photocopy of it in the car. Is it alright to drive down without her?

TB..

Edited by tigerbeer

Isnt keeping the blue book by finance exactly to stop you leaving the country with thier asset ??

I mean, not easy to repossess after that if you dont keep making the payment is it ?? Also of course if its on finance its probably fully insured, if you leave the country and crash without insurance the finance people may not be too happy (well you can keep paying for a car you no longer have)..

Isnt keeping the blue book by finance exactly to stop you leaving the country with thier asset ??

I mean, not easy to repossess after that if you dont keep making the payment is it ?? Also of course if its on finance its probably fully insured, if you leave the country and crash without insurance the finance people may not be too happy (well you can keep paying for a car you no longer have)..

LivingLos, absolutely right. don't tell them ... shhhhhh ... :D

then again, i can think of at least 20 ways they could lose their asset while being within the borders ... :o

• 5 months later...

My FIL says he got harassed by the cops in Malaysia quite a few times driving a Thai registered car. basically the Malaysian version of the thai cops asking for tea money I guess. Has this happened to anyone here? Also, if you are given a ticket, what is the procedure?

I am considering driving there for the New Year if possible. Any advice specially applicable to this time of the year would be appreciated.

• 2 months later...
My FIL says he got harassed by the cops in Malaysia quite a few times driving a Thai registered car. basically the Malaysian version of the thai cops asking for tea money I guess. Has this happened to anyone here? Also, if you are given a ticket, what is the procedure?

I am considering driving there for the New Year if possible. Any advice specially applicable to this time of the year would be appreciated.

Is it possible to buy car insurance from the border ? i know you can buy third party insurance there but what about full insurance for the car ? while you are driving around malaysia for a month ?

I am going down there in a few weeks i will post my story on return

• 11 months later...

Is it possible to buy car insurance from the border ? i know you can buy third party insurance there but what about full insurance for the car ? while you are driving around malaysia for a month ?

I am going down there in a few weeks i will post my story on return

Sorry for the late reply. Guess by now you would have returned from Malaysia already. :)

Anyway, yes you can get the insurance from the border. No big deal. Just be sure that you have the money and everything moves by itself.

I bought 6 months insurance and road tax to drive my car around in Malaysia.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Mr Wong, Tony & others who have recently drove to Malaysia,

Any news, updates or changes on the procedures & documents required to drive car into Malaysia? I got a six month job contract (with visa) in Malaysia so I'm going to drive my wife's car still under finance in two weeks time, been two years since this topic was discussed hence any updates or changes?

docs to prepare:

1. photo copy bluebook/car registration, original still kept by finance.

2. english translation by land transport office a must.

3. passport

4. ________ ??? anymore...

thanks n advance! I shall post my experience!

Edited by Babam

• 8 months later...