Advice On Car Storage Pls

semper48

Leaving in a week and not coming back until Christmas I am leaving my automatic Lancer (2005) with a friend who will keep it in a safe place, outside, and will start it up every day for me. Bought a cover for it. This is the extent of my arrangements so far.

I plan on having an oil change before going and waxing the body.

Any other suggestions?

I have a feeling it would be a good idea to run it properly maybe once a month, for the brakes and gearbox. Any ideas on this one?

I know a friend of mine who owns a truck here put it up on blocks and took the wheels off. Maybe because of tires and or suspension. Dont really know.

Advice pls?

Don't really see the need to run it every day, just buy a new battery for it when you come back. If you feel like going to town then, yes, remove the wheels and put on wooden block. Block it under the body, not the suspension. In fact, may as well leave the wheels on just not touching the floor and leave the handbrake off

If you trust your mate to look after it, you should let him take it out once a week. Just starting it up may not get the engine to normal working temperature and may lead to some problems. This would be less hassle than sticking it up on bricks.

If you don't want the bother with the blocks then over pressure the tyres or you'll get flat spots which will cause the treads to rip off.

Remove the rubber from the windscreen wipers.

Disconnect the battery and when you get back check the levels on it before you take the car out.

Leave the handbrake off (put chocks under the wheels)

Secure the cover REALLY well or the wind will blow it around and 'whip' the paint off the bodywork.

Leave an air freshener in it, and get your mate to add a new one once a month.

Crack the windows a little to prevent the rubber sticking (it still will but not as badly)

Been there (not) done that so I speak from bad experience.

Best yet is let your mate run it around each week for a long trip (~ 1 hour)

Edited by PattayaParent

Running it is better than letting it stand, the hot weather will allow the oil to drain more fully and so there will be engine wear when you return and start it up. parked in one spot will make it interesting to car theives and even if covered at risk to paint / plastic damage from the sun.