Satellite Versus Cable Tv

lowprofile

I know it has come up in the past, but things change - so what are your experiences lately, what is good and what is bad?

I'm looking at getting one or the other in soon but am unsure which will be best.

I don't particularly want UBC as I had it before and it just seemed to get more expensive and have more crap on it.

I checked the cable shop in Phuket town near the Honda showroom and the bloke there said that they will be increasing the number of channels very soon, possibly doubling the number, and also offering internet on the same line.

I don't want 1000's of channels of rubbish - who does? But the basics would be nice:

BBC or CNN

History

National Geo

Football:Premier League, Champions League

Rugby: 6 Nations, Tri nations etc

Motor racing: F1, A1, bikes

What are the options out there? Cable, UBC, Astra, Aussie

LP

well had cable a few years back , cancelled it for Ubc .

Had the platinum package ( 2200THB ) for the last 2 yrs and cancelled it last week.

Way overpriced for what you receive.

Have gone back to cable (300THB) a month as they have said the current 50 channels are to be increased to 80 in the week or so .

we'll see i guess but for now out of the 50 chanels i can watch around 5 ! rest is thai , italian ,german and indian !

If there is one one thing i miss about the uk ( and the only thing ! ) its SKY tv .

well had cable a few years back , cancelled it for Ubc .

Had the platinum package ( 2200THB ) for the last 2 yrs and cancelled it last week.

Way overpriced for what you receive.

Have gone back to cable (300THB) a month as they have said the current 50 channels are to be increased to 80 in the week or so .

we'll see i guess but for now out of the 50 chanels i can watch around 5 ! rest is thai , italian ,german and indian !

If there is one one thing i miss about the uk ( and the only thing ! ) its SKY tv .

You are not the only one ...

but you can gain sky TV via the internet now ( but only available to UK interent users :o )

Have tried those waste of time internet sites that reckon you get sky but you dont!!, the only way you could get it is if you could get a UK I.P address here in thailand....???

The TV when I first got here this time last year was pretty good - several decent film channels and as much top notch sport as you could digest. It is now abysmal - no PL footy or any decent sport, few films, nothing remotely documentary looking. I'm reduced to watching hour upon hour of the painfully repetitive BBC World, whose strapline is "putting news first". As. <deleted>. If.

It's enough to make you want to go out.

Edited by Super Hans

Since you want premier league, the only reliable option at the moment is UBC. UBC has gained the rights to the English premier League, at least for the present season, so not much choice.

I know it has come up in the past, but things change - so what are your experiences lately, what is good and what is bad?

I'm looking at getting one or the other in soon but am unsure which will be best.

I don't particularly want UBC as I had it before and it just seemed to get more expensive and have more crap on it.

I checked the cable shop in Phuket town near the Honda showroom and the bloke there said that they will be increasing the number of channels very soon, possibly doubling the number, and also offering internet on the same line.

I don't want 1000's of channels of rubbish - who does? But the basics would be nice:

BBC or CNN

History

National Geo

Football:Premier League, Champions League

Rugby: 6 Nations, Tri nations etc

Motor racing: F1, A1, bikes

What are the options out there? Cable, UBC, Astra, Aussie

LP

Try going to a satellite dealer and asking about the dreambox solution. Cost a bit to set up.. but low monthly fees!