Management Consulting Thailand

Hi everyone,

I currently work for Accenture in the UK as a management consultant and have been here for about 2 years working in Change Management/HR/Training/Strategy Consulting etc. in the Energy sector (Supply Chain Management).

I'd like to move to Thailand either within consulting or in some other capacity and wondering what if any options would be available? I could potentially transfer internally but not sure what Acn's rep is like over there.

Thanks for any input you may have.

Ask yourself a simple question - as Thailand is (unfortunately) not a easy labour market for employers to hire foreign workers in, what can you REALLY offer that a well educated, English-fluent, Thai graduate cannot? As the amount of non-Japanese FDI into Thailand has significantly reduced since the Asian Crash of 97, this is a (the?) relevant question...

However, you did say 'energy' and there are still a fair amount of operations by western oil majors and petchem plants down the Eastern Seaboard - so maybe that could give you an angle?

I have no idea about Accenture's local market rep' - sorry

CC

Thanks captain chaos,

Most of my experience has been with one of the biggest energy majors and an option would be to take a job with them and relocate internally (in the training team, project management or whatever).

I suppose another question is that I don't expect with such little experience ot be getting an expat package but would be curious to know what sort of local package to expect in one of the 'big 4' firms for consulting or a downstream role in one of the energy majors doing the afore mentioned kind of work?

hi there

what do you do at accenture...im (for the time being) at IBM in the uk / newcastle - in hr / consulting, specializing in international relocation.

Ive been trying to have a look also for stuff in thailand but havnt had any luck as of yet, did think about branchin out on my own, but feedback from the forum hasnt been to great :o

anyway good luck

Accenture (Anderson as it was then) had a large presence in the Abdulrahim Building on Rama 4 when I worked in the same building back in 99 - internal transfer?

Just like the Captain above I am in Singapore now - this is where most of the jobs are for foreign talent.

From the little I know the packages are all over the place in Thailand - I know some guy's on full expat package including hardship allowances to others who take a fraction what they could earn elsewhere just to stay there.

From personal experience it is almost impossible to work as a consulting advisor in Thailand unless you can communicate in Thai.

I am not saying all foreigners working here need to understand Thai, but it helps a hel_l of a lot if you do and goes a long way in getting a job

Try PAE ltd

Edited by gjones

From personal experience it is almost impossible to work as a consulting advisor in Thailand unless you can communicate in Thai.

I am not saying all foreigners working here need to understand Thai, but it helps a hel_l of a lot if you do and goes a long way in getting a job

Try PAE ltd

though English would be the main form of communication and most work would be presented in English. People I gave come across in consulting, banking, corporate finance etc, almost always speak better English than the English.

Thanks captain chaos,

Most of my experience has been with one of the biggest energy majors and an option would be to take a job with them and relocate internally (in the training team, project management or whatever).

I suppose another question is that I don't expect with such little experience ot be getting an expat package but would be curious to know what sort of local package to expect in one of the 'big 4' firms for consulting or a downstream role in one of the energy majors doing the afore mentioned kind of work?

Just a thought - if you can handle construction / engineering-type projects then I'd also talk to the big contracting companies, a lot of whom have offices in BKK or the E. Seaboard to service the oil majors who have facilities there. For example, Foster Wheeler have a big place near Pattaya and they certainly had lots of farangs there when I was working in BKK (I was in the same industry) - but a word of caution, most of these companies will re-locate you on an expat contract basis, but once that term has expired (usually 2-4 years) are pretty ruthless in localizing your remuneration if you stay on (and in Pattaya as you'd imagine, a fair number want to do just that) - as ever, I make no judgement about the rights & wrongs of 'going local' but suggest that you think through very, very carefully the long term implications (also see Prak's comment above)...

CC

Edited by Captain Chaos

Thanks for all the useful replies.

loubrockbank

I currently work in supply chain management advising on training, change management, strategy and various other bits and bobs. Keen to stay in this field.

Prakanong

Internal transfer was the main thing i'd looked at. I have no idea on what package a local hire would be on so not sure what to negotiate, where to search as the salary surveys I've seen for Thailand haven't included consulting.

Is most of the work in Singapore SAP/IT focused or are there more strategic roles on offer?

Captain Chaos

I'm not sure my experience would be relevant for that kind of work but I'll look in to it.

Thanks!