Cooking Western Style Pork Ribs.

Cuban

Prompted by a one liner in the thread about Rice Cookers for pasta, I am looking for thoughts about Pork Ribs.

That is the way that I did it, in a rice cooker. I also steamed my spare ribs in a rice cooker and then fried them up in a wok...

I used to marinade a rack of ribs in pineapple juice etc. then oven roast of until almost crispy, then steam to return moisture to the meat adding a thick BBQ sauce just before serving to ensure the sauce too was hot. Not a classic method maybe but easy and allowed for roasted ribs to be made before hand then steamed (fresh) the next day etc. The pineapple and long slow roast ensured the meat was falling off the bone cooked, all fat was gone and it was moist when eaten.

Since I am spending more and more time cooking outside in Thailand I want to have a go with the BBQ but don't want to eat black 'n burnt or dry and pink on the bone ribs. I don't have a western oven here so am looking for ideas.

My first thoughts are to simmer for a long time after a marinade soak, then wrap in foil (banana leaf?) and place in the embers or ashes to crisp up. Maybe show the embers to the ribs just to get some grill burns for effect before serving.

I am aware that sugar content in sauces burn too easily on an open BBQ and high fat results in flames and that special carbon coating. To get best flavour (IMHO) out of such meat long and slow is better than a fierce flash of white hot embers more suited to fillet beef steaks.

Also it saddens me to see a lovely rack of ribs in the market that is then reduced to 3cm lumps - the gracious pig is worthy of better treatment, lovely animals, if the lord did not wish us to eat them they would not be so tasty. :o

In a similar vein to this thread mt whole rack of ribs yesterday cost a huge 200 Baht from the market.

Simmered for about an hour (some lime and garlic) with rest periods every so often, the flavours lost to the water were recovered to a thick fat reduced stock as the steam escaped, after slight browning of the meat in the pan the meat was allowed to rest for 30 minutes while other BBQ activities took place.

The rack was divided into about 8 pieces and finished over dam_n hot white ashes.

A beautiful crisp brown shell to the meat - so tender, nice without too much sauce.

Next weekend beef burgers.....

The problem with making real BBQ is that you need to invest a lot of time, and it may not be worth it for just a single serving? For pork ribs you're looking at 6 - 8 hours of cooking, you want low temperatures (230 F), indirect heat, preferably provided with hardwood, while allowing for the smoke to pass up through the meat. (You need to catch the fat in a drip pan, and ideally move the meat continuously; this is done with a motor/gearing allowing multiple racks to rotate.) You could rig up a cooker/smoker, there are probably some decent designs on the internet, and you could fire with LP/NG, but no smoke ring. I'd avoid the charcoal I see people using here on the street, it looks quite industrial. For pork shoulder --> pulled pork you're looking at cooking times of 12+ hours. Pineapple juice as a marinade sounds weird as it would have way too much sugar and just plain burn black even with indirect heat, imparting who knows what kind of nasty tastes? Pork ribs here are most often chopped down to ~ 2 " sections then deep fried with a ton of garlic. Quite tasty.

• 3 weeks later...

I suggest you bake the ribs in an oven at about 300 deg.F. or about 140 deg C for approximately two hours. Afterwards, slather the ribs with your favorite sauce (wet) or if you prefer dry (which is the preference for North Carolina BBQ) and just grill on hot coals. The charcoal provides the smokiness that is essential to BBQ. I do realize that this is a shortcut method to "true BBQ" but unfortunately, achieving "true BBQ" in this country might be quite expensive and a lot of hassle. As for obtaining pork ribs longer than "3 cm," you can request the pork stall butchers at your neighborhood markets (not Tesco or any other major superstore but rather the typical street markets) for a whole rack of ribs. The prices are actually quite reasonable.

Theo in Ayutthata

• 2 weeks later...

Yes it's a bit of a hassle to make them here. First you have to shop around to find the right type of ribs (long bone) - usually only the gourmet places have them then it's the price thing. Sometimes it's best to just go out for ribs. But not Tony Romas since they charge some sill price like 500 baht or something like that and then want another 500 baht corkage (if you bring your own wine).

Personally I still think the tried and tested 1 hour boiling then smouthered in your favorite sause with garlic and chopped up onions - 20 minutes in the over and you're off.

As for the oven, you can buy a small oven the size of a microwave at Tesco or Carrefour or Big C/Tops/Power Buy for around 1,000 Baht. We use it daily for a variety of tings to re-heating pizzas to broiling steaks and ribs and croissants for breakfast. Worthwhile invetment..

I think I posted this before, but not sure. Take a full rack, remove the bottom membrane, and use a rub or some of your finishing sauce. Double wrap in al foil tight, and slow bake (braise) for about 2-3 hours at low temp. Open the foil slather with your sauce and place under the broiler or indirect on a grill but at high heat till the sauce is caramelized. The idea is to get the sauce caramelized without drying out the ribs, they are already done. This is a method used by a lot of restos, and works quite well. You can marinade but be careful with pineapple juice, as it will turn the meat to mush. The secret to tender meat is cook low and slow. If you want to smoke them you can try this on a close grill. Preheat the grill, soak a small amount of chips, place them on indirect on the grill for about 20 minutes. Then follow instructions above.