Eastern Runway Closed For Major Repairs

Runway 1L/19R Closed for Major Repairs

Other travelers are reporting, in other on-line forums, that the eastern runway at BKK is currently closed for major repairs. This has lead to significant delays (30 min.+) at peak times for both arrivals and departures.

News reports from December indicate that this work might take 50 days, and it sounds like it has been on-going for ~ 7 days as of today. With that schedule it would seem like mid-April before the second runway re-opens?

Other travelers are reporting, in other on-line forums, that the eastern runway at BKK is currently closed for major repairs. This has lead to significant delays (30 min.+) at peak times for both arrivals and departures.

News reports from December indicate that this work might take 50 days, and it sounds like it has been on-going for ~ 7 days as of today. With that schedule it would seem like mid-April before the second runway re-opens?

might have something to do with the pile of sh@te landing on it last thursday!

might have something to do with the pile of sh@te landing on it last thursday!

I shall beat the good Doc PP by adding his :o to this post.

Very funny.

If the runways need repair after such a short period of operation

it does not say much for the quality of the original construction. :o

I know Wiki is not the most accurate source, but have a read of this link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suvarnabhumi_...with_the_tarmac

It is apparently extracted from a report by the "Engineering Institute of Thailand". Makes for an interesting read.

If the runways need repair after such a short period of operation

it does not say much for the quality of the original construction. :o

And they're talking about building nuclear reactors!! :D perhaps they could practice on the footpaths in Sukhumvit Rd first.

With that schedule it would seem like mid-April before the second runway re-opens?

Yep, started three weeks ago or a little more as I have not been over-looking the West Runway (Traveling around Thailand) :D

Was looking the last two weeks, Great to see these Giants taking off and landing :D

Will report back once the East Runway opens. :o

Kan Win :D reporting from the West Runway :D

• 2 weeks later...
Thank God we've got the PPP in power to clean up all that's gone to rot during the military junta's disgraceful tenure!

I can't believe your serious, but if you are, show me the timeline that says the runway was constructed during the time the junta were in power.

Thank God we've got the PPP in power to clean up all that's gone to rot during the military junta's disgraceful tenure!

I can't believe your serious, but if you are, show me the timeline that says the runway was constructed during the time the junta were in power.

Can't you remember???

It was just before Thaksin climbed mount everest in his year off. A couple of months after Thaksin swam the English Channel, and once in France then was seen canoodling on the streets of Paris with Claudia Schiffer, Heidi Klum AND Naomi Campbell.

I cannot beleive you didn't sense the humor in his post....... He wasn't serious.

Delay varies. Last night about 15mins (9pm ish) - but expect 30+ at peak times easily. Delays in arriving and departing with slightly extended atc routings.

ATC are under pressure not used to the reduced spacing required but overall not a bad job so far.

Edited by dekka007

Any update on this? Back to normal from 08 April?

Still a delay of around 30 minutes?

Peter

You can check/monitor departure/arrivals for BKK at www dot flightstats dot com

I've been checking a few flights, both my own upcoming flights and some I have to meet, and am seeing almost no delays for these few flights I am monitoring. (Note that these are all early morning departures/arrivals, and late evening departures/arrivals, so far from peak times.)

I have not heard anything re: target completion date but assume they're working 7x24 to get this done before the rains (reduced visibility, increased spacing, reduced braking, longer to vacate the runway, etc.) start. I have flights on 27 Mar, 2 Apr, 10 Apr, 17 Apr, 6 May, 10 May, 15 May, 19 May so will keep a close eye out and report back here.

Not sure I'd want to be on the first aircraft to land on the repaired runway but assume they've got methods to test the effectiveness of the repairs prior to allowing aircraft to land/take-off.