Foreign Minister 'transfers' Thai Ambassadors

george

OK then....I'm relieved....I thought someone was going to take a really big version of those wire things that chef's use and and whisk them into a frappe or something......I was going to ask you for a link or a reference or something to verify that they even had such big wire beater things available......so....thanks for the explanation.

Chownah

whisk

To move somewhere quickly; "The President was whisked away in his limo"

A frenchman giving English lessons to an englishman in Thailand.

The end is near.

whisk

verb - To beat with a quick light brushing or whipping motion to incorporate air and add volume, usually with a wire whisk. noun - A wire kitchen utensil used for beating food by hand

www.clabbergirl.com/Glossarypage.htm

I wouldn't argue with the clabbergirl unless you want to get clabbered....or whisked away in the middle of the night.

Chownah

One day people are screaming that the ambassadors are incompetent, idiots, ad covering up corruption. The day these people are replaced they are then considered as martyrs to the cause of clean government and integrity. Get real. Many of the ambassadors were political appointees left over from the military dictatorship and did not turn in great performances. This is a well deserved change, particularly since they would be not believe in the government policies to be represented. The current government was elected by the people and has both thelegal & moral right to appoint ambassadors. If some of the priviliged folks and holier than thou expats are upset, too bad. That's the downside of having an election. Maybe the complainers should look up who the ambassador listings that their home countries have and see how many of the appointees are actually career diplomats or political appointees.

It is many years since non career Thai ambassadors have been appointed.

Chownah, I don't see the point with you carrying on with a different definition from the one I already provided which explains clearly what my point was at the very beginning.

Enough with this sh!t.

Over and OUT.

I think everyone knows what you were saying.You could have passed it off as banter but in trying to defend your position made a fool of yourself.As always, even on this miniature and trivial scale, the dishonest cover up always attracts more attention than the original offence.

Thaksins lawyer firing all these coup supporters. I think that is great.

Coup supporters should be lined up and shot.

I guess I'm first in line. You can keep your wonderful Thaksinland, one party 'democracy', no free speech, incompetent and self serving economic policy, no checks and balances and extra-judicial killings.

I guess I'm first in line. You can keep your wonderful Thaksinland, one party 'democracy', no free speech, incompetent and self serving economic policy, no checks and balances and extra-judicial killings.

....incompetent and self serving economic policy?? Free speech? Democracy? Checks and balances?

Where were you the last 18 months I wonder?

Maybe you didn't notice how well the Thai economy performed while Thaksin was in charge?

In fact, the Thai stock market was one of the best performers in the world while Dr. T was in office.

Thailand boomed... so what if some drug dealers met their demise... certainly the Thais approved... I only see foreigners whining about that one.

Thaksin perfect? No. But 1000% better than the buffoons that were in charge the last year or so.

Edited by PadThaiGuy

I'm afraid that PadThai fella is a harbinger of things to come.

Well it's a rather blunt and debatable take on the Thaksin regime, and one which I would dispute at least in some areas.But frankly weary asides from apologists of a disgraced junta which seized the government by force, may I politely suggest, lack any pretence of moral authority.Generally in politics as in any other human field one reaps what one sows.We live with the unsavoury consequences of what those fools put in place.As I have said several times before the coup was a tragic mistake which not only set the country back but ironically speeded up the process the feudalists were desperate to slow down.

....incompetent and self serving economic policy?? Free speech? Democracy? Checks and balances?

Where were you the last 18 months I wonder?

Maybe you didn't notice how well the Thai economy performed while Thaksin was in charge?

In fact, the Thai stock market was one of the best performers in the world while Dr. T was in office.

Thailand boomed... so what if some drug dealers met their demise... certainly the Thais approved... I only see foreigners whining about that one.

Thaksin perfect? No. But 1000% better than the buffoons that were in charge the last year or so.

the buffons in charge last year didn't threaten to sue anyone who said 'boo' to them. You seem to forget all the protests that Jakaprob (sp) was stirring up on the street last year (sometimes violent) or the Thaksin 'bodyguards' who beat up some old bloke who doth protested when he got too near dear leader when he was PM. You forget the 'caravan of the poor' being allowed to do what they want at Chatucuk, and no doubt you missed all the anti junta protesters allowed to happily camp out in front of the military barraks on Ratchadamnoen for a good part of 2007. Nah, you must have missed all that.

Good economic policy? The best part of last year was cleaning up the mess Thaksin had left behind. A fast crumbling tax revenue base where avoidance was allowed to flourish, once again. An indepedent economic regulator was set up to look after power regulation last year. Stupid fuel subsidies which thaksin had put in place and which were bankrupting the state, were paid off (though I see the PPP incompetents are right back with that one). We had a court rule last year, independently, that parts of the PTT privatisation shouldn't happen. They were right. Thaksin tried to flog off PTT as monoploly. He was wrong to do so, and that wrong was righted last year. Oh yeah, and the economy still grew last year, quite well at 5.5%, somethng that the doom and gloom brigade though was impossible. Thai stockmarket did well last year too. I got about 20% growth from a bog standard managed fund which invested in quality companies.

As for Thaksin being a good economic manager. Two points.

Firstly, a stock exchange does not an economy make. One of the reasons for the phenomenal success of the SET was down to one thing. PTT. Sold at a hugely and unfairly undervalued 30baht, they were up to 300 baht two and a but years later and now hover about 400. PTT is the largest company by far on the SET, makes up a huge weighting. Where the PTT goes, so does the SET. Not that that IPO was conducted transparently in the best interests of the country. Pity the poor retail buyer who wanted to get a share before the IPO....there were none left for the public tranche!!! No, any of the 25% free float were given off to insiders. How do I know? I was one of them.....got my PTT shares before the general public did. None left on the day of the IPO if you care to remember back. They were all in the hands of Thaksin loyalists, many of whom I worked with at the time.

Second point. Thaksin was premier for 5 years. He squibbed any opportunity to undertake meaningful economic reform, unless he benefitted from it himself. PTT I've already explained, where he flogged off the whole thing as a monoply, where any good economist will tell you that the monopoly assets should have remained either in state hands, or with a good economic regulator to oversee them. He did nothing and it took your so-called incompetent coup supporters to put that right.

He sqibbed microeconomic reform in not floating the baht earlier. He squibbed any decent chance of good infrastructure projects, content to not build any more public transport until he could get his hands on the BTS. (oh, I hear you say, well they are building more now...well sonny, JBIC and Chinese loan details were agreed to 6 months ago by the last government..something that dear leader had 5 years to do....though the signatures had to wait till after the elections).

But wait, I hear you say, he deregulated airports and air travel...thats right just so he could get air asia in there.

Telco reform stalled. He stacked the regulator with his own people. Independent my buttocks. Number portability to facilitate changing providers (away from AIS??) - that topic only got any airplay oh,...in about 2007. Funny that.

I could go on, but I wont.

Well it's a rather blunt and debatable take on the Thaksin regime, and one which I would dispute at least in some areas.But frankly weary asides from apologists of a disgraced junta which seized the government by force, may I politely suggest, lack any pretence of moral authority.Generally in politics as in any other human field one reaps what one sows.We live with the unsavoury consequences of what those fools put in place.As I have said several times before the coup was a tragic mistake which not only set the country back but ironically speeded up the process the feudalists were desperate to slow down.

I know we'll disagree, but they promised to hand back power and they did. Straight back to the guys they ousted. The could have held on, using the same old tired burmese excuse of 'oh, the times aren't right for true democracy'. Moral authority always comes from doing what you promise. Based on that alone, there was a lot more moral and eithical authority former Thai PM surayud's little finger than in either Thakins or Samaks.

But, as I've told you before, I defer to the voice of the people now that the consititutional deadlock has been broken. Doesn't mean I rate this government or its policies.

"Oh yeah, and the economy still grew last year, quite well at 5.5%, somethng that the doom and gloom brigade though was impossible"

A small point but I thought it was something like 4.7 in 2007 - the lowest in the region among what thailand could call its competetitors and well below the 6% that Jagdish Bhagwati says a developing country should make or be seen as a failure.

"Oh yeah, and the economy still grew last year, quite well at 5.5%, somethng that the doom and gloom brigade though was impossible"

A small point but I thought it was something like 4.7 in 2007 - the lowest in the region among what thailand could call its competetitors and well below the 6% that Jagdish Bhagwati says a developing country should make or be seen as a failure.

thanks for that, you are probably right, but I thought I saw an upward revision last week. But too be honest, Ive got too many numbers going through my head at the moment....

if you are right however, then it just pushes my point home about microeconomic reform even more. Infrastructure in Thailand is moribund. OK better than cambo and laos, but it could be sooooo much better, so that when you have a China and India on your doorstep, you are equipped to take on the challenges.

The only brightlight in all of this, ironically, is the strong baht. It will make exporters more competitive. That is a good thing. Even though I'm a USD earner, from an econmic perspective, I'm all for a strong baht for Thailand as another microeconomic reform tool.

thanks for that, you are probably right, but I thought I saw an upward revision last week. But too be honest, Ive got too many numbers going through my head at the moment....

if you are right however, then it just pushes my point home about microeconomic reform even more. Infrastructure in Thailand is moribund. OK better than cambo and laos, but it could be sooooo much better, so that when you have a China and India on your doorstep, you are equipped to take on the challenges.

The only brightlight in all of this, ironically, is the strong baht. It will make exporters more competitive. That is a good thing. Even though I'm a USD earner, from an econmic perspective, I'm all for a strong baht for Thailand as another microeconomic reform tool.

I agree Thailand does need to put in place some consistent policies to promote growth. China and India is one thing but they are not Thailands competitors in the region - Vietnam is on the rise and as soon as English becomes more widespread it will be a regional powerhouse - predicted growth is double digit to 2020.

Its the type of investment that is required too. High value jobs seem to begoing elsewhere and thailand will not compete on price with China and the likes - even if the manufacturing portion of a products cost is a very low % people still ask "What is the China price".

As I said elsewhere education is not the panacea for all of this but it is one factor. Corruption is seen by many as more important - OK its accepted that it will never be eradicated in this region but its how far it permeates in each country that counts.

The promotion of more free trade and foreign investment should be looked at. I accept that just opening the doors is not the correct thing to do right away but a gradual opening up of the economy and the old entrenched self interested "Elites", for want of a better word should not be allowed to derail this. A good example of this is the Thai Auto Industry - after 97 ownership was consolidated into foreign hands (mainly parts supply) and now its the poster boy industry for Thailand - 10th in the world.

I don't think I understand your post.

Are you saying that PhadThai's suggestions of shooting coup supporters or approval of drug war killings is somehow responsibility of the junta? Really?

And what is that process the feudalist were desperate to slow down?

If it's complete take over of the country by Thaksin, they have probably prevented it for good (though I think the possibility of Thaskin's comeback still remains, as you've seen from my posts).

Chownah, I don't see the point with you carrying on with a different definition from the one I already provided which explains clearly what my point was at the very beginning.

Enough with this sh!t.

Over and OUT.

I think everyone knows what you were saying.You could have passed it off as banter but in trying to defend your position made a fool of yourself.As always, even on this miniature and trivial scale, the dishonest cover up always attracts more attention than the original offence.

This is the 7th time I ask you to stick me on your ignore list.

I've had it with your constant nagging, personal insults and trying to draw me into pointless arguments that have nothing to do with whatever topic you try it in.

:o

Enough with this sh!t.

Over and OUT.

This is the 7th time I ask you to stick me on your ignore list.

I've had it with your constant nagging, personal insults and trying to draw me into pointless arguments that have nothing to do with whatever topic you try it in.

:o

I don't do "ignore lists".Believe it or not I don't want to antagonise you.My point has been made and I'm happy to let you get on with your packing.

I don't think I understand your post.

Are you saying that PhadThai's suggestions of shooting coup supporters or approval of drug war killings is somehow responsibility of the junta? Really?

And what is that process the feudalist were desperate to slow down?

If it's complete take over of the country by Thaksin, they have probably prevented it for good (though I think the possibility of Thaskin's comeback still remains, as you've seen from my posts).

Do you really want me to reply? It tires me to go over the old ground again, but I will if you like!

You make a fair point however that the coup checked Thaksin's meglomania at least for now.I have argued as you know that there ways to bring him down to size without the appalling remedy of a military coup.

..what is that process the feudalist were desperate to slow down?

... the coup checked Thaksin's meglomania at least for now.I have argued as you know that there ways to bring him down to size without the appalling remedy of a military coup.

I was afraid you'd start something abour masses liberating themselves from feudalism.

As for bringing Thaksin down via "democratic" means - I haven't seen not one single convincing argument. Actually the only argument I remember was by late Colpyat - Thaksin would screw the coutnry, the economy, and, ultimately, his fans so badly that they turn against him. Excuse me, but I don't see that happening, ever. Especially the part where Thaksin can't find anyone else to take the blame. Any sign of opposition and the scapegoat is found.

My original reply to this argument was that people who consider themselves patriots won't sit and watch the country being destroyed, it's impossible, and PAD movement was a proof. PAD is also being conveniently blamed for creating this mess, as expected.

Edited by Plus