Cliche Food Question

wjmark

WHAT WON'T YOU EAT?

Personally I prefer not to 'eat sht', but just about everything else goes.

okok, I don't like ALL the bugs, but I like some of them.

Had raw laab moo (pork) for the first time on the weekend (loved it).

You?

WHAT WON'T YOU EAT?

You?

For me, one no-no is human flesh and that of any of the other great apes.

so does smoking, and i do that too. it is the quality of life, not the quantity. Life is a journey not a destination. So eat raw meat, and do whatever suits you best. enjoy...

the ants in veggies were good, but the silk worm larvea I didn't like

so does smoking, and i do that too. it is the quality of life, not the quantity. Life is a journey not a destination. So eat raw meat, and do whatever suits you best. enjoy...

the ants in veggies were good, but the silk worm larvea I didn't like

I enjoy Larb Blah flavored with ants and ant larva. it gives a nice tangy taste to it. I only get it when i visit isaan though. harder to find people that prepare it in the south.

NEVER eat raw pork. Your risk of getting a tape worm is extremely high with all the possible unpleasant effects of this parasite.

Google Tape worm (Taenia solium) and despair...

http://www.dpd.cdc.gov/DPDx/HTML/Taeniasis.htm

Not only that.

I once inadvertently ate some raw pork (it looked cooked) I couldn't be more than six feet from the toilet for three days and the stomach cramps were incredibly painful.

NEVER eat raw pork. Your risk of getting a tape worm is extremely high with all the possible unpleasant effects of this parasite.

http://www.dpd.cdc.gov/DPDx/HTML/Taeniasis.htm

Not only that.

I once inadvertently ate some raw pork (it looked cooked) I couldn't be more than six feet from the toilet for three days and the stomach cramps were incredibly painful.

This one was probably from a bug called Yersinia enterocolytica. Can be severe and sometimes mimic acute appendicitis too..

Raw or undercooked pork in SEA region is really not a good idea. To kill the cysts from taenia, pork has to be frozen solid for at least 14 days before consumption. Thinks this is achieved anywhere around here?

"NEVER eat raw pork. Your risk of getting a tape worm is extremely high with all the possible unpleasant effects of this parasite.

http://www.dpd.cdc.gov/DPDx/HTML/Taeniasis.htm"

I'm betting the guy ate raw buffalo laap they call Laap Dip ('deep'). Never heard of the pig version, though I suppose it could exist. Either way, Laap Dip made of cow or buffalo is the most prevalent type of raw laap.

I've tried the usual bugs in the past, nothing but earthy oily shrimps with a bit of chilli flavor, nothing much after the first crunch. I have eaten live wood ants (citrus tang) and live baby shrimps (tickle your tongue), had under cooked pork at a BBQ, in bed for 24 hours when I needed to drive.

I would not eat a mixed bag of live insect larvae, I took pictures as it looked more like fishing bait than human food.

WHAT WON'T YOU EAT?

You?

Off to the pharmacy with you for the worm tablets :o

Naka.

"NEVER eat raw pork. Your risk of getting a tape worm is extremely high with all the possible unpleasant effects of this parasite.

http://www.dpd.cdc.gov/DPDx/HTML/Taeniasis.htm"

I'm betting the guy ate raw buffalo laap they call Laap Dip ('deep'). Never heard of the pig version, though I suppose it could exist. Either way, Laap Dip made of cow or buffalo is the most prevalent type of raw laap.

Bet away!

I too had heard of laab nua dip, and that is what I thought they were eating. Nope - they assured me it was laab moo dip...

Delicious, but the safety factor is to be considered...

Speaking of raw moo (pork!) safety, I have been eating that pickled/marinated pork sausage for years - no problem. Any ideas about that?

Speaking of raw moo (pork!) safety, I have been eating that pickled/marinated pork sausage for years - no problem. Any ideas about that?

That's not a problem. I think it works in the same way as a lot of European foods like salamis. The pork ferments and in the process lactic acid is produced, lowering the pH, which makes the sausage an environment that is hostile to bacteria.