Flying Bkk To Lon Via Macau/hong Kong

jay33

I have read a few TV threads about a one way flight from Bangkok to London via Hong Kong, but I was wondering if anyone who had done the journey could share their experience as to how much money they saved, what times did they travel and how much time did they spend in transit?

I had a look on the net for promotions from HKG to LON and found that Oasis Hong Kong flew to LGW for HKD 2451 which I think worked out at 160 odd pounds, which even with the connecting flight and maybe ferry was still at least a hundred pounds cheaper than other carriers.

www.oasishongkong.com

Website says that their HKG-LGW flights were 100% on time in February and they are the World's leading New Airline 2007 and the Asia's New Airline of the Year 2007.

I also thought it was a positive thing that the flight left at 00:50 and arrived at 06:40 so it would be a night journey and I could probably sleep most of it and London Gatwick is the most convenient for me.

I saw an advert for Orient Thai to fly direct from BKK to HKG for 999 baht plus taxes which worked out at 2,649 baht in total which seemed really cheap until I realised that they only fly once per day at 18:15 and upon contacting Oasis Hong Kong they told me that if I missed the connecting flight for any reason including delays from BKK then it would count as a "no-show" and you would forfeit the HKG - LGW seat, when every other carrier I have flown on would just put you on the available flight, so sounds harsh!

www.orient-thai.com

BKK Orient Thai

18:15d

21:44a

HKG (Oasis Hong Kong)

00:50d

06:40a

LGW

So I was wondering if anyone had tried the above connection times and did anyone ever have their flight cancelled/delayed and/or had any close calls or missed a connection in HKG and if so what happened?

Also couldn't find any mention of what the baggage weight restrictions for the above arlines. Any ideas?

But then discovered that it was the international carrier of the 12Go that crashed in Phuket last year, which was strange as their website advertised awards for Thailand's Consumer Choice and Asia's Best Budget Airline in 2007! Was it voted for before the crash...!??

Then I looked at other budget carriers to HKG but the only other one seemed to be to fly to Macau with Air Asia and then it seemed to be easiest to get the Turbo Jet Sea Express from Macau airport to HGK airport as you only go through customs once and they take your luggage for you but wondered how long the whole journey took including the bus and the usual waiting time before departure.

I read that the excess baggage charging structure above the standard international 15kg for AirAisia was 165 baht per kg and they had a compensation of 922 baht per kg so you wouldn't check in any valuables, but wondered if anyone had actually been charged for small excess baggage weight and if anyone had had their hand luggage weighed on route to Macau?

Then looking at the times it was it was not obvious, to me anyway, what Air Asia flight to get to give someone enough time to catch the Turbo Jet Sea Express and not risk missing the connecting flight leaving after midnight and if you had quite a few hours to kill apart from geting into a good book or listening to a iPod what were the options available?

Plus, if you had to wished to stay overnight on a budget, what was convenient for either airport and where would you recommend staying? And also wondered what the aircraft were like on these routes?

Would appreciate it if anyone would share their travel experiences as it certainly seems a more adventurous route then any I have ever taken from BKK to LON and would like to try it out one time especially as it seems that I can get a 1 year return in the UK cheaper than a 3-month (or less) return bought in Thailand.

I have read a few TV threads about a one way flight from Bangkok to London via Hong Kong, but I was wondering if anyone who had done the journey could share their experience as to how much money they saved, what times did they travel and how much time did they spend in transit?

I had a look on the net for promotions from HKG to LON and found that Oasis Hong Kong flew to LGW for HKD 2451 which I think worked out at 160 odd pounds, which even with the connecting flight and maybe ferry was still at least a hundred pounds cheaper than other carriers.

www.oasishongkong.com

Website says that their HKG-LGW flights were 100% on time in February and they are the World's leading New Airline 2007 and the Asia's New Airline of the Year 2007.

I also thought it was a positive thing that the flight left at 00:50 and arrived at 06:40 so it would be a night journey and I could probably sleep most of it and London Gatwick is the most convenient for me.

I saw an advert for Orient Thai to fly direct from BKK to HKG for 999 baht plus taxes which worked out at 2,649 baht in total which seemed really cheap until I realised that they only fly once per day at 18:15 and upon contacting Oasis Hong Kong they told me that if I missed the connecting flight for any reason including delays from BKK then it would count as a "no-show" and you would forfeit the HKG - LGW seat, when every other carrier I have flown on would just put you on the available flight, so sounds harsh!

www.orient-thai.com

BKK Orient Thai

18:15d

21:44a

HKG (Oasis Hong Kong)

00:50d

06:40a

LGW

So I was wondering if anyone had tried the above connection times and did anyone ever have their flight cancelled/delayed and/or had any close calls or missed a connection in HKG and if so what happened?

Also couldn't find any mention of what the baggage weight restrictions for the above arlines. Any ideas?

But then discovered that it was the international carrier of the 12Go that crashed in Phuket last year, which was strange as their website advertised awards for Thailand's Consumer Choice and Asia's Best Budget Airline in 2007! Was it voted for before the crash...!??

Then I looked at other budget carriers to HKG but the only other one seemed to be to fly to Macau with Air Asia and then it seemed to be easiest to get the Turbo Jet Sea Express from Macau airport to HGK airport as you only go through customs once and they take your luggage for you but wondered how long the whole journey took including the bus and the usual waiting time before departure.

I read that the excess baggage charging structure above the standard international 15kg for AirAisia was 165 baht per kg and they had a compensation of 922 baht per kg so you wouldn't check in any valuables, but wondered if anyone had actually been charged for small excess baggage weight and if anyone had had their hand luggage weighed on route to Macau?

Then looking at the times it was it was not obvious, to me anyway, what Air Asia flight to get to give someone enough time to catch the Turbo Jet Sea Express and not risk missing the connecting flight leaving after midnight and if you had quite a few hours to kill apart from geting into a good book or listening to a iPod what were the options available?

Plus, if you had to wished to stay overnight on a budget, what was convenient for either airport and where would you recommend staying? And also wondered what the aircraft were like on these routes?

Would appreciate it if anyone would share their travel experiences as it certainly seems a more adventurous route then any I have ever taken from BKK to LON and would like to try it out one time especially as it seems that I can get a 1 year return in the UK cheaper than a 3-month (or less) return bought in Thailand.

I too would be interested in hearing from someone who's done this.

I've just booked tickets for the Wife & I from MAN to HKG for Christmas & the New Year. Still undecided how to get from HKG to BKK, but we're certainly going to have a night in HKG on the way out and a couple on the way back (never been before).

I'd actually prefer to do the hydrofoil & Macau route, just have to persuade the missus.

The tickets were only £746 rtn, so even if we take say Emirates, still much cheaper than the current fares available from MAN to BKK on the dates we're stuck with - we also get to see HKG in the bargain. :o

I think the times for the LON to BKK journey seems to be the easiset direction as you arrive in Hong Kong during the afternoon (15:30) and they have a very good record of arriving on time and then staying in a hotel in Hong Kong/Macau would give more options, otherwise if travelling on to BKK via Macau the same day then you would have to get the last daily Air Asia flight to BKK.

1100 (MFM) - 1250 (BKK)

1420 (MFM) - 1615 (BKK)

1630 (MFM) - 1820 (BKK)

2135 (MFM) - 2315 (BKK)

If you are going direct from Hong Kong airport you can use the Macau Express Link Service as it inclues Air Asia, so you and more importantly your bags can be transferred directly to Macau airport and you only have to go through immigration once = sounds good.

http://www.turbojetseaexpress.com.hk/eng/u...m/hongkong.html

Kong Kong airport to Macau airport

Transit Bus Schedule*

Air to Sea

12:00

13:00

15:00

17:30

18:00

20:00

So you be looking at the 17:30 which it says takes 55 mins for the "Turbo Jet Sea Express" = ferry but no idea how long the bus and the boarding would take??? But certainly seems doable.

Again would love to hear some feedback from one of the many people who have recommended this route.

Hong Kong to Macau, Sea-to-air transfer:

Economy Class:

HK$180 Adult

HK$135 Child (2 to below 12 yrs old)

HK$90 Child ( below 2 yrs old)

Todays Visa exchange rates, without card fees: -

1 GBP = 15.68 HKD / 100 HKD = 6.38 GBP

10 THB = 2.48 HKD / 1 HKD = 4.05 THB

Therefore an adult would be approx GBP 11.50 or 730 baht plus any card fees.

Doesn't say if there is any extra charges for the bus from the ferry terminal to Macau airport.

Minimum Connection Time:

Passengers should arrive Macau International Airport Check-in Counters at Hong Kong Macau Ferry Terminal, Shop G02, not less than 2 hours and 45 minutes before flight departure for check-in procedures. Connecting departure flight should not be less than 45 minutes of the schedule bus time.

Last Air Asia flight from Macau departs at 2135, so need to check-in 20:50 at the very latest and suggests arriving at the Hong Kong Macau Ferry Terminal (Shop G02) 2hr 45mins in advance, so would mean taking the the 17:30 (or 18:00*) sea-to-air transfer.

Scheduled arrival time from London Gatwick is 15:30 and throughout Feb, Oasis Hong Kong was 99% on time for the LGW - HKG route, so I guess you have between 2 and 2 and half hours minus any flight delays to get from the plane to the terminal, collect your bags and get to the ferry terminal.

Participating airline (for onwards flight):

Air Asia, Air Macau, Eva Air, TransAsia Airways, Xiamen Airlines, Shanghai Airlines, VIVA Macau

Free Check-in Baggage Allowance

Economy Class: Not exceeding 20 Kg

Super Class: Not exceeding 30 Kg

Edited by jay33

Unless you have the urgent desire to also visit HKG/Macao (or maybe a quick peek into nearby China mainland), its no bargain at all.

beter alternatives:

1. ANY Thai agent sells singles on Kuwait air from about 15.000 THB, all in. direct via KU to London. no booze though (but I think thats also payable on Oasis). On other mid-eas cheapies about 17/18.000 single. for MAIN season.

2.book Online on airberlin,.com, daily german holidaymakerçhartertype'' flights to various German ports, notably Dusseldorf, Berlin or Munchen. Airberlin also flies in direct connection from DUS to LSN and through-check possible. Pirces vary a lot with time of year and time of advance booking, but can be as low as 333 eur to LSN=also around 16/17.000 THB. Fairly good service, free meals, but headset and alco must be paid for. FROM Thai/BKK daytime flight.

all these prices are the final ''all-in''=what you need to pay, taxes included

Unless you have the urgent desire to also visit HKG/Macao (or maybe a quick peek into nearby China mainland), its no bargain at all.

beter alternatives:

1. ANY Thai agent sells singles on Kuwait air from about 15.000 THB, all in. direct via KU to London. no booze though (but I think thats also payable on Oasis). On other mid-eas cheapies about 17/18.000 single. for MAIN season.

2.book Online on airberlin,.com, daily german holidaymakerçhartertype'' flights to various German ports, notably Dusseldorf, Berlin or Munchen. Airberlin also flies in direct connection from DUS to LSN and through-check possible. Pirces vary a lot with time of year and time of advance booking, but can be as low as 333 eur to LSN=also around 16/17.000 THB. Fairly good service, free meals, but headset and alco must be paid for. FROM Thai/BKK daytime flight.

all these prices are the final ''all-in''=what you need to pay, taxes included

Funny that on the two occasions I've looked for these cheap singles - the only ones available have been in excess of 20,000 baht.

Even if they are available, at current exchange rates the 15,000 baht on KU is virtually the same, in some cases slightly more than what it would cost if taking the Macau/Hong Kong route. Kuwait International is also a lousy airport for a longish transit, which is often the case on KU between BKK & LHR.

It certainly pays to shop around & as you say, if purely a cost saving exercise, cheaper options may be available, though I'm sure some, like myself, want to do this purely for the experience.

I can assure you that the flights we've booked from MAN to HKG, will ultimately lead to a cheaper ticket to BKK than currently available with anyone on the dates we're travelling.

Hi

I have flown this route many times i used to go via maccaw to Bkk but now fly direct Hkk to Bkk

my last trip left LHR on 9 June 2007 747/400 BA to HKK 2hr layover then Cathy Pasific 767 To Bkk

Return 6 March 2008 Cathy Bkk To HKK 3 hrs layover then BA to Lhr arrived 5am

Cost inc taxes etc £429

i know the price of jet fuel has risen so it will be more expence now but many airlines fly in to Hkk and good deals can be found on them eg vfly to Hkk and book at the airport on a standby to BKK cathy do this not sure about other carriers most flights to Bkk from Hkk are at 70-80% capacaty so should be able to find a standby

hope this helps

Hi

I have flown this route many times i used to go via maccaw to Bkk but now fly direct Hkk to Bkk

my last trip left LHR on 9 June 2007 747/400 BA to HKK 2hr layover then Cathy Pasific 767 To Bkk

Cost inc taxes etc £429

i know the price of jet fuel has risen so it will be more expence now but many airlines fly in to Hkk and good deals can be found on them eg vfly to Hkk and book at the airport on a standby to BKK cathy do this not sure about other carriers most flights to Bkk from Hkk are at 70-80% capacaty so should be able to find a standby

hope this helps

Can you be more specific with regards to booking the standby with CX i.e. procedure/costs/ etc.

We arrive in HKG at 15:25 & assuming we go straight to Bangkok, it would mean going to Macau and catching the last Air Asia flight, but having already spent over 24 hours travelling, I'm not sure we'd be in the mood for that (the wife wouldn't for sure!), so we'd probably have a night in HKG.

As for a full service carrier direct from HKG, ideally we'd like to take TG or CX as we wouldn't have to hang around in HKG too long, but they are quite expensive, the cheapest I've found would be with Emirates (£138 rtn) but, again it doesn't leave until almost 23:00, so we'd probably end up having a night in Hong Kong anyway.

On the return we plan on having three or four days in Hong Kong prior to returning to the UK, so time isn't critical.

Just seems like the long way around to me, but if you can save significant $$$ then maybe that makes sense. What about flying via KL or somewhere like that - less demand on that route so would have thought could get competitive fares ... OK, OK, I am applying logic to SE Asia which may be assuming too much ... :o

Just seems like the long way around to me, but if you can save significant $$ then maybe that makes sense. What about flying via KL or somewhere like that - less demand on that route so would have thought could get competitive fares ... OK, OK, I am applying logic to SE Asia which may be assuming too much ... :o

Flights from the UK to KL are actually much more expensive, certainly on the dates when we're travelling. As long as the total fare ends up around the £500 mark (which it will & possibly less) I'll be happy. I'm also looking forward to seeing a new country.

Just seems like the long way around to me, but if you can save significant $$ then maybe that makes sense. What about flying via KL or somewhere like that - less demand on that route so would have thought could get competitive fares ... OK, OK, I am applying logic to SE Asia which may be assuming too much ... :o

Flights from the UK to KL are actually much more expensive, certainly on the dates when we're travelling. As long as the total fare ends up around the £500 mark (which it will & possibly less) I'll be happy. I'm also looking forward to seeing a new country.

Wow - I stand corrected then - can't help you with the flights I'm afraid but HK is a great place, sure you'd enjoy a stopover there if you can arrange it...

Safe flying.

CC

Hi

Cost inc taxes etc £429

hope this helps

Thanks for the feedback and as a frequent flyer the ever increasing cost of fuel is the worrying part :o

Any chance you could let us know the costs of the two separate flights and whether they were returns?

As for the Macau route, I received an email back today from the Turbo Jet people saying that the cost of the bus to/from the ferry terminal is not included with the ferry price, so does anyone know how much the bus to the ferry terminals costs and how long you should plan for the bus journey each way?