Number One Pizza In Chiang Mai

Ulysses G.

Where is your favorite place to go for pizza in CM?  

158 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Inspired, naturally, by this thread, I had a pizza at Duke's today.

WHOA. STOP RIGHT THERE!

Inspired, naturally, by this thread, I picked up a pizza at Duke's today

So I was sitting at Dukes and whiile waiting for my pizza, idly watching some farang come in and take out a pizza.

Talk about crossed threads, or what! "Don't know where, don't know when. We'll meet again. Some sunny day!"

Rasseru: if I had been paying attention, I could now say, "I know what you look like!"

But I was waiting for pizza, and thus no detailed imprint remains.

In that case, as a person whose ego insists strongly that than he there is none more memorable, I am forced to conclude that you are remarkably unimpressionable! :o

As I think you said elsewhere than in your words quoted above, Chiangmai -- or should that be Farang Moo Baan, Chiangmai? -- can be quite a small town at times.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In that case, as a person whose ego insists strongly that than he there is none more memorable, I am forced to conclude that you are remarkably unimpressionable! :o

The family at the table could have started throwing french-fries. I wouldn't have noticed.

I rest my case

The Dukes to me is the best in CM, not the world.

IMHO, very possibly, all of Thailand though. :D

:o

You have to try ever pizzeria in Thailand to make that statement, Ulysses!

I don't know about that.

I don't enjoy Italian style pizza very much. That cuts out 99.9% of the pizzerias in the Kingdom.

I read all the forums in Thailand looking for recommendations for American style pizza and I have tried all of the most celebrated ones in Bangkok, Chiang Mai and Pattaya (I think that Bangkok Pizza near The Emporium in Bangkok was the only one that ever came close to the Duke's). That probably doesn't leave a lot left! :D

:D

If I knew how to make a decent dough (d'oh!), I might pull it off.

The topping on Italian pizza is just fine. It is the crust that is severely lacking, and the crust is what makes American style so much better! :o

Absolutely, completely, totally, utterly true!

We just tried Naples Pizzeria.. Well, it was just Ok. The photos on the brochure sure looked good though.

Our pizza was OK, The Erotica (or something like that). No taste to speak of but it filled a gap.

My kids got a plain cheese pizza..The cook "forgot" to use the tomato base sauce..That was a disaster..The cats liked it though.

Sorry, nothing even comes close to the Dukes...As yet.. :o

Edited by Austhaied

You have to try ever pizzeria in Thailand to make that statement, Ulysses! I stand by Amido's in Pai as the best I've had so far. There are a few places in BKK that I prefer to Duke's pizza as well (tho none measure up to Amido's, IMO). In Chiang Mai none of the pizzas impress much.

Speaking of American pizza, in metropolitan areas of the NE United States, many of the best pizzerias (to my taste) are owned by Algerians, Moroccans or Lebanese, don't know why but that may explain why I like Amido's so much (Algerian pizza chef). It's a matter of personal taste of course.

I have to completely agree. I thought my taste buds had been drowned in beer and cheap cigarettes until I ate at ASmido's in Pai 9 months ago. I still remember it clearly and would recommend it to everyone. Ok I know its not in Chiang Mai

Edited by helloall

You have to try ever pizzeria in Thailand to make that statement, Ulysses! I stand by Amido's in Pai as the best I've had so far. There are a few places in BKK that I prefer to Duke's pizza as well (tho none measure up to Amido's, IMO). In Chiang Mai none of the pizzas impress much.

Speaking of American pizza, in metropolitan areas of the NE United States, many of the best pizzerias (to my taste) are owned by Algerians, Moroccans or Lebanese, don't know why but that may explain why I like Amido's so much (Algerian pizza chef). It's a matter of personal taste of course.

I have to completely agree. I thought my taste buds had been drowned in beer and cheap cigarettes until I ate at ASmido's in Pai 9 months ago. I still remember it clearly and would recommend it to everyone. Ok I know its not in Chiang Mai

Do they deliver ?

Same as some of the other polls, pretty useless, as two of the better pizza places in town have been left out of the poll. If you are going to have a poll that has any credence, all the contenders should be in the ring.

Same as some of the other polls, pretty useless, as two of the better pizza places in town have been left out of the poll. If you are going to have a poll that has any credence, all the contenders should be in the ring.

And they are? What I can do is to reset the counters to zero when we have the definitive list and you guys can vote again if that is you desire.

CB

Seriously? I enjoyed it, but to me what makes a pizza truely great is that special blending of bread, cheese and sauce - a synergystic effect where the total is greater than the sum of its parts. DIDN"T HAVE IT! The bread was not "bready" enough, and the sauce and cheese didn't really do anything together.

Good 'za - not great.

Please don't forget that we are not in Manhattan.

Can you tell us where to get a better American style pizza in Thailand? :D

Well I know your mate Dave does just tremendous pizzas UG,but surely he can handle a little criticism?? :o

For my money I used to find Mad Dogs pizzas the best.Quick to make and quick to eat.They were really well priced too...

I criticise David and the Duke's on a regular basis - I'm not a fan of their burgers for example - but IMHO it is not really fair to compare a pizza in Thailand to one at home without at least pointing out that we are out in the boonies of a Third World country that had never even seen a pizza just a few short years ago.

David's pizzas have consistantly gotten better and better over the last few years to the point where I think that I could eat one back in California and not notice any difference from a decent locally made one. Who else can say that around here? :o

Edited by Ulysses G.

i tried dukes the other night.

i had the pizza, my partner had their special, a mexican thingy which i've forgotten the name of.

the pizza was ok, but overpriced for what it was.

the mexican thingy was superb. no holds. absolutely great.

my favorite pizza place is only so-so, but good value. it is a little hole in the wall place and i don't remember the name, but it is up near un irish, but not pizza paradise.

my other favorite has fallen out of favor with my partner so we don't go anymore. i have mentioned it before, rose's cafe. advertises the second best pizza in cm.

the worst pizza i have ever had was here in cm at a place which specializes in pizza. i'd mention their name but just that mention would provide advertising for a place which should soon be available for purchase. (this is the kind of 'hobby business' which should NOT be allowed)

i had a small cafe once and we made pizza for special occasions. i say with all modesty that ours was simply the very best available within a hundred kilometers or so. the secret, aside from the dough and sauce, is to have a really really hot oven and to use a pre heated 'pizza stone' to get a crisp, or at least fully cooked, crust.

pizza dough recipe follows, courtesy emeril and the food network. notice the honey. i think that makes a big difference.

1 cup warm water (105 to 115 degrees F)

1 (1/4-ounce) envelope active dry yeast

1 teaspoon honey

2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil

3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon salt

Yellow cornmeal, for sprinkling the baking sheet

In a large bowl, combine the water, yeast, honey, and 1 tablespoon of the olive oil, stirring to combine. Let sit until the mixture is foamy, about 5 minutes.

Add 1 1/2 cups of the flour and the salt, mixing by hand until it is all incorporated and the mixture is smooth. Continue adding the flour, 1/4 cup at a time, working the dough after each addition, until the dough is smooth but still slightly sticky. You might not need all of the flour. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until the dough is smooth but still slightly tacky, 3 to 5 minutes.

Oil a large mixing bowl with remaining olive oil. Place the dough in the bowl, turning to coat with the oil. Cover with plastic wrap and set in a warm place, free from drafts until doubled in size, about 1 1/2 hours.

Variations:

Parmesan Pizza Dough:

Substitute 2 3/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour and 1/2 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese for 3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour. Use a pinch of salt instead of 1 teaspoon. Proceed as directed above.

Oregano Pizza Dough:

Stir 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano in with the flour and proceed as directed above.

in conclusion, unless i start making my own again i seriously doubt that i will ever have another good pizza.

We should all make our own pizzas, have a tasting & vote for best. The winners must go into business with 24 hour delivery, with the assurance everyone else will buy at least one a week.

Edited by sylviex

I criticise David and the Duke's on a regular basis - I'm not a fan of their burgers for example - but IMHO it is not really fair to compare a pizza in Thailand to one at home without at least pointing out that we are out in the boonies of a Third World country that had never even seen a pizza just a few short years ago.

David's pizzas have consistantly gotten better and better over the last few years to the point where I think that I could eat one back in California and not notice any difference from a decent locally made one. Who else can say that around here? :o

I tell ya UG,i'd have u in my corner any time.I can't wait untill somebody slags off your mate.I vcan see the steam from here....:D

Mad Dogs pizza are cheap and nice. :D They taste better than our little pizza shop down the road in Auckland. :D

Mad Dogs also make their pizzas in Thailand......Cool eh!

I like Mad Dog pizzas too, however, I find that they all have a unique meaty aftertaste that tastes good, but I can't eat them too often because all of them - no matter the topping - taste too simular for me. Every once in a while is great. :o

Edited by Ulysses G.

And they are? What I can do is to reset the counters to zero when we have the definitive list and you guys can vote again if that is you desire.

CB

Il forno

Mr Chans miss pauline

Piccola roma

Rose Guest House

are all missing for a start

I have added these which takes us to the maximum of 20 options. To add more options I will have to split the question into styles such as American, Chain, and Italian ie three styles each with up to 20 options. That would take us up to 60 which must pretty well cover all the pizza places in Thailand not just CM :o

CB

I haven't tried dukes for pizza always going for a blu cheese burger but .... My vote and my favorite to date would be Paradise Pizza. I dont like the atmosphere and if I was in delivery range I would never go in. But I first tried their pizza at the American celebration of the 4th of July at the embassy. That and Samuel Adams beer was a great combination.

Edited by swain

Rose Guest House

Rose Guest House have already declared themselves to have the 2nd best pizza in Chiang Mai, so I don't know if they should be on here. :D

ug if you ever find yourself down in your favourite haunt pizzanotti is the best pizza ever 1000 baht would feed you and any friends that you happened to chance upon. Im sure they deliver to nana hotel

Thank you, I will Google up the phone number for next time in Bangkok! :o

Earlofwindemere mentioned "Pizzamania" in another thread. Any reports on this place ?

Actually he is correct - forgot this one. I think it is a favourite of RealThaiDeal. I have been there once and I think it is pretty good. Not cheap but then I am a Cheap Charlie when it comes to farung food why buy spagetti for 200 baht when I can get gway teow for 20baht?

PizzaMania is on the ChiangMai - Sarapi road a short distance past the over pass. It is on the right hand side of the road at the furthest end of a group of shops.

Another one I forgot is my favourite and that is Guitarman on the bottom end of Loi Kroh near the White Lotus. Excellent pizza and my favourite is the Sex Pistol - all pepperoni and similar.

I think I am going to have to split this poll into three parts with the maximum of 20 options per group.

CB

PizzaMania is on the ChiangMai - Sarapi road a short distance past the over pass. It is on the right hand side of the road at the furthest end of a group of shops.

Know if they deliver ? Phone number ? Website looks quite promising.

Another one I forgot is my favourite and that is Guitarman on the bottom end of Loi Kroh near the White Lotus. Excellent pizza and my favourite is the Sex Pistol - all pepperoni and similar.

Guess they don't deliver ?