Using Thai Passport

This post for those who have achieved a Thai passport or are very familiar with this situation.

I have PR for Thailand (about 8 years). My lawyer is pushing a little to apply for Thai passport, says I can get it easily. Now looking for advice on the mechanics / pitpalls of having a Thai passport from those who have it.

I have established that there is no problem in holding both Thai and Australian passport at same time.

However, do I need to maintain some form of visa (for Thailand) in my Australian passport?

Can I leave Thailand using the Thai passport, then enter and exit another country using Australian passport, then re-enter Thailand on Thai passport? Sounds simple enough, but I don't to be so quick to assume that this method is just as simple as it sounds.

Appreciate any answers you can give to above questions and any further advice about benefits / pitfalls.

Thanks

For 2 of my kids that have Thai and British passports, leaving Thailand to a country like Japan for instance where Thais need a visa, I have to show Thai immigration my kid's British passport (no Japanese visa needed for Brits). Apparently Thais, if they don't have a visa for a particular country, cannot even board a plane bound for a country that requires them to have a visa.

So, for Japan I use their Brit Passport when leaving Thailand and entering/departing Japan or another country. But for re-entering Thailand the immigration prefer my kids to use their Thai passport. Using their Brit passports will mean that they will have their info of arrival in their computer and after 30 days, technically they will be on overstay?

Not PR related, but some points that you have to bear in mind when leaving and entering Thailand.

Can I leave Thailand using the Thai passport, then enter and exit another country using Australian passport, then re-enter Thailand on Thai passport? Sounds simple enough, but I don't to be so quick to assume that this method is just as simple as it sounds.

As I understand it, it is that simple.

However not sure your will get the passport until you get your Thai Nationality.

Presumably what your lawyer is trying to do at the moment.

Allan, what you propose is exactly how it works, as that is my situation. I don't need any Thai visa in my aussie PP and just show my Thai PP on arrival.

The only thing I recommend is that if based in Thailand, and travelling around SE Asia (especially overland) only use the Thai PP. Immigration in HK, Singapore, Malaysia and Cambodia have occasionally pulled me up doing the PP switch.

The first 2 are fine with it (although it takes some explaining), Malaysia doesn't recognise the concept of dual nationality (officially at least) and cambodia....well I don't recommend you get into a debate with a cambodian immigration officer about the concept of dual nationality.

PM me if you need anything.

Thanks for the replies and advice.

I wanted to be a little more convinced that the advice my lawyer is giving me is solid, and the replies from you guys (advice from the expert users) confirms what he is saying.

Thanks agin for replying, very much appreciated.

Regards

Hi Alan. I am glad for you that the end of the rocky road in in sight. I have a farang friend who has been an honorary Thai Consul-General for many years, and the Thai Government is offering Thai citizenship to long serving consular officers. My friend is going to go for it for sure. I just thought you'd like to know.