To Find A Coffee Maker

gpdjohn

Does anyone know of any place to purchase a quality coffeemaker, such as a Mr. Coffee or like?

I bought a cheap "Kessel" ( and I do mean cheap ) made of "high quaility" plastic, Ha! at Robinson's ( Airport Plaza ) for like 350 bht...and ya get what ya pay for, but it does brew. :o

It seems as though if you're into high dollar espresso machines it's no problem, but just wanna decent maker for my morning joe.

Does anyone know of any place to purchase a quality coffeemaker, such as a Mr. Coffee or like?

I bought a cheap "Kessel" ( and I do mean cheap ) made of "high quaility" plastic, Ha! at Robinson's ( Airport Plaza ) for like 350 bht...and ya get what ya pay for, but it does brew. :D

It seems as though if you're into high dollar espresso machines it's no problem, but just wanna decent maker for my morning joe.

high quality espresso machines is where its at.

I got a Saeco espresso from Bon Cafe on Changklan rd (just past ShangriLa going Sth) last year and its great. It was about 10,000 baht.

A similiar coffee would cost 60-100 baht, so after about 100-170 coffees, it would have paid for itself.(less the ground coffee of course, but they are cheap @ 120-200 per bag + milk)

Makes a perfect cuppa. I wont drink anything less now.

Robinsons have espresso machine as well for under 10,000 baht as i recall. :o

I bought a cheap "Kessel" ( and I do mean cheap ) made of "high quaility" plastic, Ha! at Robinson's ( Airport Plaza ) for like 350 bht...and ya get what ya pay for, but it does brew. :D

Posh machines are really no better at making good coffee than rudimentary methods, just much more convenient obviously. What's more important is the quality of the bean and a touch of savvy and technique. Some of the best coffee I've tasted in SE Asia has been brewed using a simple Vietnamese filter (see pic below). Anyways, you can buy an espresso jug from Rimping for a B1000 and that does the job as well as anything. If you don't want espresso, just vary the water to coffee ratio. Rimping also sells the Vietnamese filters but they are tricky to use and I wouldn't recommend them. Maybe you do want the convenience of something expensive in which case I'll just shut up now and go back to sleep :o

Cheers

post-33038-1205219415_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bananaman

The OP specifically said that he was not looking for a "high dollar espresso machine", but the best source in Chiang Mai for such things is the Hillkoff shop. They're almost directly opposite the entrance to Chang Pheuak Hospital (see attached map). They have a very extensive range of machines, as well as anything else coffee-related that you could possibly think of. They also have their own coffee brands in a number of different roastings. An amazing place, thank you p1p for pointing me in their direction about a year ago :o

/ Priceless

post-20094-1205224355_thumb.jpg

I've gone thru a couple of cheap 'mr coffee' knock offs and was never satisfied and even a basic expresso machine that blew it's gasket and couldn't be replaced. We now simply use one of those funnel type one cup coffee makers that use replaceable paper filters and simply place it on top of a coffee urn that fits perfectly under our electric hot water dispensor and carefully control the water flow into the coffee and now get better coffee than starbucks for less than 5 baht/cup. We use fresh ground hilltribe coffee that i buy from a friend @ 250/kilo.

I bought a cheap "Kessel" ( and I do mean cheap ) made of "high quaility" plastic, Ha! at Robinson's ( Airport Plaza ) for like 350 bht...and ya get what ya pay for, but it does brew. :o

I am currently using an inexpensive 10 cup-one I have seen in Lotus/Carrefour with a simple mechanical on/off timer (1200 watt) that I bought from Home-Pro; it brews good coffee. I don't remember the price but think it is around 1200-1500 baht, which is reasonable to me (obviously "inexpensive" is a relative term) .

When I break this one, I will buy the 12 cup one I saw in Central Kad Suan Kaew that has the built in clock/auto feature. It costs 4000 baht or so. Expensive compared to the US but I like having the coffee ready when I get up. And with the amount of guests we get throughout the year, it well worth the money to have lots of coffee ready whenever anyone/everyone gets up.

Looks like you'll probably find what you're after, following the recommendations already provided. In case you don't - or just for comparison - you could also take a look at the verasu.com mail order pages. For drip coffee they have:

http://www.verasu.com/Thai_version/product...productid=46223 (Severin is a good mid-quality brand)

For espresso/americano etc they have:

http://www.verasu.com/Thai_version/product...productid=46186 (Buono is also a good mid-quality brand - and I bought this model)