Safe Parking For Bike In Nong Khai While In Lao

madyakka

HI,NEXT MONTH I WILL BE GOING TO LAO FOR MY VISA RENEWAL,I WAS HOPING TO FIND A SAFE PLACE TO LEAVE THE BIKE IN NONG KHAI FOR A DAY OR 2,HAS ANYONE DONE THIS? ANY INFORMATION WOULD BE REALLY APPRECIATED,

REGARDS

MADYAKKA :o

Okay, this is top secret. It is so secret that to tell you, first you have to be killed and then you can be told.

I took my bike to the Honda dealer and had them change the oil and wash the bike, promised to pick it up in a few days. Worked like a champ, they took excellent care of the bike and got all the routine maintenance done while I was in Lao. Dont forget to tip freely and generously for safe storage of your mount.

Now you have to swear not to tell anyone else or this will become common and be ruined.

Oooooops, public forum...... :o

Another secret: find the Mut Mee guest house on the river, just west of downtown. Offer them 300-500 to watch your bike for a few days. Be sure they take it INSIDE the compound, and bring a lock/chain and attach it to something unmovable like a tree. Or, stay there a day or two prior or post trip and offer a reduced storage tip. Reasonable prices, and great western/thai food.

Edited by toptuan

Many thanks for your replies,I had thought of asking at a guesthouse about parking for a couple of days,I was just curious if anyone had made a similar trip and could offer any advice.

As for leaving it at a garage to get serviced for a day or so,I am not sure how comfortable I would be leaving the bike in the hands of a mechanic I didn't know but a good idea all the same,

regards

Madyakka :o

HI,NEXT MONTH I WILL BE GOING TO LAO FOR MY VISA RENEWAL,I WAS HOPING TO FIND A SAFE PLACE TO LEAVE THE BIKE IN NONG KHAI FOR A DAY OR 2,HAS ANYONE DONE THIS? ANY INFORMATION WOULD BE REALLY APPRECIATED,

REGARDS

Just about 200 yards from Friendship Bridge in Nong Khai on your left is a secured and roofed (your baby will stay in the shade) car park and I am pretty sure they will take of your bike. You will get a ticket from them. They will even bring you to the Thai Border Exit and let you have a phone number you can call after your return and all this free of charge.

I did this already 3 times and payed just last week THB 100 per day/night for a car, maybe that fee is smaller for a bike. Enjoy the eating places in Vientiane.

REGARDS

Why not take your bike with you? Exit Thailand from Bun Kan (150 kms down stream from Nong Khai), cross the Mekong to enter Laos at Pakxan, then ride 140 kms up to Vientiane. Get your visa & exit via the Friendship Bridge.

REGARDS

Why not take your bike with you? Exit Thailand from Bun Kan (150 kms down stream from Nong Khai), cross the Mekong to enter Laos at Pakxan, then ride 140 kms up to Vientiane. Get your visa & exit via the Friendship Bridge.

Thanks for your reply David,I was under the impression that Lao was unwelcoming to Thai motorcycles at the moment,I like the idea of taking my bike across,what do they charge for allowing your bike to enter Lao?

regards

Madyakka :D

REGARDS

Thanks for your reply David,I was under the impression that Lao was unwelcoming to Thai motorcycles at the moment,I like the idea of taking my bike across,what do they charge for allowing your bike to enter Lao?

regards

The only problems are

1. No entry into Laos at either of The Friendship Bridges, but exit is ok

2. The bike must be legal registered with the green book

3. If the bike's not registered in your name you need permission from the owner to take it out of Thailand.

For more border crossing info you need to check out the GT Rider site Crossing Borders and the Lao Forum for some recent trip reports on using the Bun Kan / Pakxan crossing: Saxonator Laos Trip, plus 4 trip reports for Jan doing the LuangPrabang Loop from Chiang Mai. One of these was a Honda Phantom trip, so you can do Laos on any bike.

Cheers.

If you do it, please let us know how you went.

Edited by davidgtr

REGARDS

regards

The only problems are

1. No entry into Laos at either of The Friendship Bridges, but exit is ok

2. The bike must be legal registered with the green book

3. If the bike's not registered in your name you need permission from the owner to take it out of Thailand.

For more border crossing info you need to check out the GT Rider site Crossing Borders and the Lao Forum for some recent trip reports on using the Bun Kan / Pakxan crossing: Saxonator Laos Trip, plus 4 trip reports for Jan doing the LuangPrabang Loop from Chiang Mai. One of these was a Honda Phantom trip, so you can do Laos on any bike.

Cheers.

If you do it, please let us know how you went.

Thanks again David,my bike is a legal Suzuki intruder 750,I am looking at going on April 15 and I will log the trip on my return.Would you consider the roads precarious during the songkran period?My wife thought I was crazy when I told her I was going on the 15th,

regards

Yeah, riding a bike at Songkram time is mad & totally dangerous!

But also have you thought about the New Year holidays running into the next week & embassy opening times.

If you're not on a tight schedule never mind.

Where are you starting from?

Whatever, you sound like a big boy riding an Intruder 750, so should be able to work it out as you go.

Yeah, riding a bike at Songkram time is mad & totally dangerous!

But also have you thought about the New Year holidays running into the next week & embassy opening times.

If you're not on a tight schedule never mind.

Where are you starting from?

Whatever, you sound like a big boy riding an Intruder 750, so should be able to work it out as you go.

Thanks for your advice yet again,I will check out the embassy opening times and plan around that,

regards

Madyakka :o