Obsession With Plastic

zorro1

A theory I have is that Thais in general don't buy official green garbage bags at the supermarkets so they use 7-11 bags etc as their home/kitchen garbage bags. The people in 7-11 know this and hand out as many as possible, its a bit of stab in the dark but cant think of anything else. Does anyone know a check out chick? would love to hear their version, are they instructed by management or what?

but this dosn't explain why you get 12 straws for 6 cans of coke. maybe that you can craft little minature flag and use the straw as pole. these flag you can stick then in dog shit landmine if you are out of plastic bags or want make a statement.

206ud7.th.jpg

(no political intention using this picture, just an example for a dog shit flag)

sorry that is looks like your thread has gone the dogs, but wasn't it also a question of environment protection concern? and reuse plastic bags to collect dog shit isn't that big treehugger exploit. far from it! this just add dog shit to the plastic shit.

and you have been buying cans instead of PET or glass bottles. how is the ecology impact of a beverage can vs. a PET bottle or a glass bottle? i always thought cans are the worst environmental choice, but maybe i am wrong.

A theory I have is that Thais in general don't buy official green garbage bags at the supermarkets so they use 7-11 bags etc as their home/kitchen garbage bags. The people in 7-11 know this and hand out as many as possible, its a bit of stab in the dark but cant think of anything else. Does anyone know a check out chick? would love to hear their version, are they instructed by management or what?

but this dosn't explain why you get 12 straws for 6 cans of coke. maybe that you can craft little minature flag and use the straw as pole. these flag you can stick then in dog shit landmine if you are out of plastic bags or want make a statement.

206ud7.th.jpg

(no political intention using this picture, just an example for a dog shit flag)

sorry that is looks like your thread has gone the dogs, but wasn't it also a question of environment protection concern? and reuse plastic bags to collect dog shit isn't that big treehugger exploit. far from it! this just add dog shit to the plastic shit.

and you have been buying cans instead of PET or glass bottles. how is the ecology impact of a beverage can vs. a PET bottle or a glass bottle? i always thought cans are the worst environmental choice, but maybe i am wrong.

your opening a whole new CAN of worms now. I like to eat Tuna and a "bottle of tuna thanks" will get you some funny looks. How about bottled spam?

your opening a whole new CAN of worms now. I like to eat Tuna and a "bottle of tuna thanks" will get you some funny looks. How about bottled spam?

be in a huff?

oh sorry. i forget. it's YOUR OWN thread only about plastic bags and every slightly deviation from that is considered as SPAM. but its your right to open a topic on plastic bag in thailand and keep it strictly ad topic. 356 other TVmembers had open already their own thread and topic on plastic bag in thailand now it's our turn.

as long its only one thread on plastic bag in thailand per member is it not redundant or SPAM nor can it be called an obssession of certain TVmembers to open their very own thread about plastic bags in thailand.

and how can i dare to spam it and ask you why you buy cola cans if you are only concerned about plastic bags. i have another theory, maybe the check out girl was thinking you give a shit about enviroment anyway. that theory would also explain the enigma about the 12 straws for 6 cans, or at least better then the "Thais in general don't buy official green garbage bags at the supermarkets so they use 7-11 bags etc as their home/kitchen garbage bags." theory.

be in a huff?

oh sorry. i forget. it's YOUR OWN thread only about plastic bags and every slightly deviation from that is considered as SPAM. but its your right to open a topic on plastic bag in thailand and keep it strictly ad topic. 356 other TVmembers had open already their own thread and topic on plastic bag in thailand now it's our turn.

as long its only one thread on plastic bag in thailand per member is it not redundant or SPAM nor can it be called an obssession of certain TVmembers to open their very own thread about plastic bags in thailand.

and how can i dare to spam it and ask you why you buy cola cans if you are only concerned about plastic bags. i have another theory, maybe the check out girl was thinking you give a shit about enviroment anyway. that theory would also explain the enigma about the 12 straws for 6 cans, or at least better then the "Thais in general don't buy official green garbage bags at the supermarkets so they use 7-11 bags etc as their home/kitchen garbage bags." theory.

settle pettle it was tongue in cheek. Now go and take a happy pill because I couldn't give a rats what you type here its your life, but try lightening up a little your starting to bring me down :o

i wonder if you buy a plastic bag they would put it in a plastic bag? Reckon so.

2 weeks ago girlfriend cames home from shopping at TOPS market. talking about the plastic bag issue before, she proud shows a fabric bag, that she got for free. the bag has some environment protection slogan on it, was sponsored by a EU organisation, was extra packed and sealed in its own plastic bag and got from the TOPS staff also its own TOPS market plastic bag, since it was a differrent product from the rest of the groceries she purchased.

but due its very small tiny size that fabric bag is not useful for shopping at all. for example, just big enough for carry a pack of pasta and five bananas away.

post-32715-1205282483_thumb.jpg

ahh, making a photo right now i see that the free bag was related to the purchase of some apples and promotes fresh apples. anyway that free bag for nothing got its own seperate TOPS plastic bag, no kidding.

My wife proudly showed me a nice fabric bag which she got on the market for free. She told me the democratic governor of Bangkok want to do something against the plastic bags and give the fabric out for free.

believe it or not, the fabric bag was handed out in a plastic bag!!!!! :o:D :D I thought I am in a comedy or they secretly filming me, while showing me complete nonsense and have good fun about me. But no it was real and I was the only one who found that strange...

We use all the bags to clear up the poo-poo when we take our golden retriever for a walk.

You deserve a medal! :o

where does the plastic bag with poo poo end up ? what happens if you pick up a bag and there's already poo poo in it :D

I'm just waiting for someone from Issam to say that their M in L sells it on her food stall at the local market. You know the slogan " Clean food, Good taste" :D

I always bury my dog's poop. He doesn't go in the street (he is obviously embarrassed about squating down in public) - other than a whizz, but in our garden. I then dig an 18" hole and bury it. I guess this is better than it existing forwever in some ladfill site in its own little Carrefour coffin. My thought is that the enzymes (spelling?) in the soil will break it down and as its so far from the water table, the earth below will filter any rain pollution during this time.

I read somewhere (new scientist I think) that paper bags turn out far worse in landfill than mdern plastic ones do. Most modern platic bags biodegrade in sunlight and enyzme breakdown - but can take up to 10 years. The problem is that the methane that is produced by landfill actually kills off a lot of the bacteria that breakdown the refuse. They have found news papers that are forty years old still readable in landfill because only bacteria will break them down (water will too eventually, but only if they are directly hit or laying in a puddle of it).

So, best to do what someone said above - reuse the same bags each time until they break and only then take new ones.

My wife proudly showed me a nice fabric bag which she got on the market for free. She told me the democratic governor of Bangkok want to do something against the plastic bags and give the fabric out for free.

believe it or not, the fabric bag was handed out in a plastic bag!!!!! :o:D:D I thought I am in a comedy or they secretly filming me, while showing me complete nonsense and have good fun about me. But no it was real and I was the only one who found that strange...

I do not find this so very hard to handle. OK, so you got one more plastic bag, but if you ACTUALLY USE the fabric bag for say 20-30 times, the one plastic bag will be 1/20 or 1/30 or even less...

Stop talking, and just do. I have started to use the fabric bags I got from Foodland. Not every day, but I am training myself to remember using them. And soon it will be second nature. Big deal.

We use all the bags to clear up the poo-poo when we take our golden retriever for a walk. But as we seem to be the only dog owners in Thailand that do this, I'm not sure what the rest of the population use them for.

Why not train the golden retriever to find plastic bags, put them all in the biggest one and then defecate in them. That will reduce the number of bags that are lying around as litter and save you a job too.

All the best.

Briggsy.

We use all the bags to clear up the poo-poo when we take our golden retriever for a walk. But as we seem to be the only dog owners in Thailand that do this, I'm not sure what the rest of the population use them for.

Why not train the golden retriever to find plastic bags, put them all in the biggest one and then defecate in them. That will reduce the number of bags that are lying around as litter and save you a job too.

All the best.

Briggsy.

very funny :o

I think that plastic bags are a sign of sophistication and wealth. I visit the same branch of TOPS every day and have managed to train most of the staff to put 2 items into a bag. I also show them that a straw is pointless to 99% of people that buy a 1.5 litre bottle.

I take time to point out the thumprint and the 'save the world' slogan on the bag and they look surprised.

Tell them 'NO'. They are idiots that have NO understanding of the world. let's face it Thai TV is full of childish penny whistle rubbish that will NEVER tell them that. Tell them that 12 bags for 9 items is crazy.

Take paper or cloth

I just arrived home from 7-11 and bought 6 small cans of coke. There were 12 straws thrown in

Maybe they thought you were sharing your drink with a friend...

Great isn't it when you see someone here fill a plastic bag with rubbish only to throw it in to a canal because that's closer than walking to the nearest bin. All down to the lack of education. Kids copy what their parents do unless taught otherwise. There are a few places alongside the fence of a road I take near the airport where i think the same huge collection of plastic bags has been building for several years. Everytime it's windy it's like it's snowing.