Claiming Airfares

Not sure if I'm in the right forum but anyway, I live in Bkk but have a business in Australia. I run corporate events for motor car dealers and am In oz around 70 days a year and the rest here. Am I able to claim My trips to Oz such as Airfares and Hotels as I actually own a condo here and nothing in OZ

Not sure if I'm in the right forum but anyway, I live in Bkk but have a business in Australia. I run corporate events for motor car dealers and am In oz around 70 days a year and the rest here. Am I able to claim My trips to Oz such as Airfares and Hotels as I actually own a condo here and nothing in OZ

You mean--Tax-wise??

Don't know about Oz--only Aussies can help you here--but, for us Poms--I used to be an ex-pat landlord with properties rented in UK-otherwise I was classed as a non-resident--however I was liable for UK Tax on the returns from the rented properties--I tried to claim my airfares to/from Thailand from IR UK--no joy, not even a per centage of--but that was UK.

You mean--Tax-wise??

Don't know about Oz--only Aussies can help you here--but, for us Poms--I used to be an ex-pat landlord with properties rented in UK-otherwise I was classed as a non-resident--however I was liable for UK Tax on the returns from the rented properties--I tried to claim my airfares to/from Thailand from IR UK--no joy, not even a per centage of--but that was UK.

Haybilly, at a guess, I think as you were still classed as resident in the UK for tax purposes you couldn't claim to fly "back to the UK".

You were in essence still there (as a tax "entity" rather than physically).

However, a friend has a property in France and lives in the UK. He is perfectly entitled to claim a % of trips (maybe all, I'm not sure) to check on his property, carry out maintenance etc etc.

To answer the OP, I suppose it all depends were you "are" for tax purposes. If you are resident in LOS then I can't see why you couldn't claim flights, hotel's as a business expense. If for tax purposes you are resident in OZ, I doubt it.

Speak to an accountant :o

RAZZ

Edited by RAZZELL

if you are talking about OZ taxes, then ask an accountant.

If you are talking about Thai taxes, I'm not sure if Thailand has the same extent of avoidance...erhm, sorry - deductables as we do down in OZ.

You mean--Tax-wise??

Haybilly, at a guess, I think as you were still classed as resident in the UK for tax purposes you couldn't claim to fly "back to the UK".

However, a friend has a property in France and lives in the UK. He is perfectly entitled to claim a % of trips (maybe all, I'm not sure) to check on his property, carry out maintenance etc etc.

To answer the OP, I suppose it all depends were you "are" for tax purposes. If you are resident in LOS then I can't see why you couldn't claim flights, hotel's as a business expense. If for tax purposes you are resident in OZ, I doubt it.

Speak to an accountant :o

RAZZ

Well--all I can say is that I really hope that you are wrong--I was an ex-pat landlord 'officially' classed as a non-resident in U.K. since 2000 and renting property from 2000--2007. i.e.7 years with max. 2 flights back per year and NOT allowed to spend more than 90 days in UK in any one Tax year-- I asked my accountant on several occasions about claiming my flights and was advised against it--!!!!

Who can I sue--or is this just too American a concept for British courts?

You mean--Tax-wise??

Speak to an accountant :D

RAZZ

Well--all I can say is that I really hope that you are wrong--I was an ex-pat landlord 'officially' classed as a non-resident in U.K. since 2000 and renting property from 2000--2007. i.e.7 years with max. 2 flights back per year and NOT allowed to spend more than 90 days in UK in any one Tax year-- I asked my accountant on several occasions about claiming my flights and was advised against it--!!!!

Who can I sue--or is this just too American a concept for British courts?

I guess you paid tax on your rental investments in the UK. I'm not an expert on whether you could claim your flights from Thailand. I would imagine it would be under the jurisdiction of the Thai authorities if you were resident for tax purposes there (if you paid tax on your "earnings" remitted to Thailand that is :D ).

Read the following:

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/pdfs/ir20.htm#leaving

Especially, 6.4 Investment Income from Property in the UK. Also, 7.3. Allowances. The flight is an "expense" rather than an "allowance".

I suggest giving them a call and explaining your situation to them. They're usually helpful...unless you owe them money :o

You never know, you might get a rebate :D

RAZZ

Edited by RAZZELL