Smtp Servers

JJDinsay

Astral

What does it mean to run your own SMTP Gateway ?

Isn't the SMTP url the path to your email server ?

Thanks for any enlightnment.

The smtp server (gateway) is the way you send mail, it does not necessarily have a direct relationship to where you read your mail.

eg. My mail id is with cscom.com, but I usually log on to the Pacific network because they offer a better deal for connection time.

So I read my mail from [email protected]

but I send my mail via smtp.pacific.net th, which is the smtp server on the Pacific network.

Most smtp gateways are restricted to the local network users, to avoid outside users sending SPAM though the gateway.

If you download the programme I mentioned, it will act as a gateway for you and send out your mail. If you computer is called "paulfr", then you simply direct you mail programme to send via PAULFR and the gateway programme will be listening on the right port and will see you messages and pass them on via the internet.

You will need to make sure all the messages have been sent before shutting your computer down, but it usually does not take long to clear the outgoing mail.

I'm using SMTP servers from TRUE but I keep getting e-mail relaying errors. It's been working fine for the past week. Any free SMTP servers out there I can use?

I have been having similar problems for the past few days.

If I keep re-sending it eventually goes.

Seems like a lot of internet problems everywhere last weekend.

Yes I have to resort to webmail occasionally though all is well today.

I used to use a SMTP server program called Postcast Server (free), which was fine until until AOL stopped accepting emails that way (i.e. from an IP address that matched an ISP user rather than a website host).

So now I pay about a pound a month for portland.co.uk PostAccess account. The email address is [email protected] which is a bit of a hack but you can use the SMTP from any of your email addresses to send the emails.

hi'

are you running win XP Pro?

if, yes, why not install your own smtp server?

in the windows components ... windows protocol, smtp server and the rest that goes with it, and don't forget to setup your firewall to open port tcp 25 for outgoing.

then configure your mail prog for the internal address of your com ... 127.0.0.1, if network, setup the others to the address of the server (should be something like 192.168.0.1 or close to it) ...

more detail ... just ask :o

it does work nicely and you don't depend of any authorisation from another server ...

it just goes through your provider's server ... fast :D

cheers

francois

• 1 month later...