So, The New Toyota Pick-up Truck..

chanchao

My mother in law is in the market for a new pick-up so I was helping her decide between another second hand one or a new one, especially since Toyota have their new hi-lux model out.

I read some rave review of the truck in the Bangkok post, how it was more comfortable and car-like than ever, and that it cost the same as the old model. I also looked at the more high-end 4WD models and was a lot less impressed. You can kind of see that costs were kept down: The passenger-side airbag is missing, interior looks rather plasticky, especially the door-panels (didn't top-end models of the old one have leather (or leather-look) finishings?). The car now includes a heated rear window (why?) but if you look at it, the heating wire-mesh is connected with an EXPOSED wire and plastic connector! The connector thingy is floating near the back side of the cabin, pretty much where a passenger's head would be. Rediculous.. I can imagine about two weeks a year where you'd need rear window heating in Thailand, in the North, early morning, up a mountain.. And then if they put this in, why did they do it like Citroen did for their 1968 2CV? Then there's the Toyota stereo that's not in the same color as the rest of the interior, and (of course) the display lights up in basic green, not the same color as the rest of the dashboard dials. (Yes you can have your own stereo installed of course)

Finally there's the gear stick. It's HUGE. Seriously, all that's missing is for your granny to knit a little fluffy ball-shaped cover for it and it'd be EXACTLY like those poles used by city bus drivers in Bangkok.

How did reviewers miss these things when they praised the interior and called it car-like? Are car-reviews in Thailand for real anyway? (never mind answering that) :o

Of course there are good things as well; like the seats can be adjusted in height, and the steering wheel can be adjusted up/down, if perhaps not quite far enough up.

Overall it's probably a fine truck, and interior finishings won't matter for the basic model that my mother in law may end up with. Then again.. might just recommend to go for a second hand Mighty-X model truck that can be had for a very reasonable 240K Baht. Does anyone have one for sale in that price range? Main requirement is that it has power steering.

Cheers,

Chanchao

Edited by chanchao

You mean GM/Chevy Colorado? Looks nice, but pretty much the same internally as the Isuzu D-Max. Isuzu would be safer probably in terms of trade in value; then again all Isuzu dealers coudl service the thing so parts/maintenance should not be an issue. I think it's a tad more expensive than the Isuzu though, for basically the same car.

Cheers,

Chanchao

Chanchao:

Yes, the Chevy Colorado, a tad more expensive that the Isuzu, I bought one about six months ago(just sold it , change in retirement plans). I paid Baht 861K fully loaded. Great truck. I think you may be correct that the Isuzu may have a better trade in value but it largely will depend on how long you keep the vehicle and how many kilos are clocked and how it is maintained. I am beginning to see more of the Colorados on the road here in Bkk.

I too recently looked at the new Toyota "Vigo" and I agree it does look a bit chincy. I bought a new Camry two years ago and there is nothing I can find on this car that appears to be cheap or "plasticey" ( is that a real word?)

Good luck in your decision.

> What kind of prices are we looking at here?

Single Cab (i.e. basic farmer's truck) : 428,000 baht

Mega Cab (i.e. two-door but with a small bench behind) : 500-600 K Baht

Mega Cab 4WD : 650 K Baht

4 Door (i.e. proper seats in the back): 650 K Baht

4 Door 4WD : 700-800 K Baht

Top of the line, leather seats, anything: 850 K baht

Give or take a little here and there, depending on if it comes with electric-everything or not.

Bascially this means that the absolute top of the line model costs about the same as a Toyota Corolla with some bells * whistles on it!!!!!!! I know what's better value, not to mention lots cheaper to run...

Cheers,

Chanchao

Hi,

I too have been looking at the new Vigo with some interest. I was amazed to see the "top" model (861,000) has no leather interior, no two tone paint and no body mouldings (wheel arches, etc). Also the lower portion of the radiator is almost totally exposed behind the front bumper (fender). Most of these problems will likely be ironed out next year with the first "minor change".

Another thing to bear in mind if in the market for a truck is Isuzu are shortly to introduce a commonrail diesel engine (in the next month or so), which will probably find its way into the Colorado. However I am told this "new" engine is actually the Toyota D4D generation one engine used in the last model hilux. Also, Mitsubishi are launching a new L200 in the near future (the current model been around since '96), and also Nissan are launching a new frontier. At present there is no real competition for the Vigo, hence little or no discounts.

Speaking to a friend at a Toyota dealer at the weekend, he says wait 'til the motor expo in December, thats when the manufacturers have the last push to get the figures up for the year end. Competition is fierce, discounts are high and extras are a plenty. Free insurance, registration, a couple of baht gold, and some extras tots up towards the 50K mark.

Also buying near the year end means the car will be on a red plate for a while, so when the registration process is completed you will have a 2005 model, which in turn means the vehicle will have a higher resale value.

So Vigo or MaiGo ? Still not sure myself, I would like to wait to see the new Nissan, they build some nice vehicles nowadays. But easy to go giddy in those showrooms .................

Regards,

INTJ.

> Also, Mitsubishi are launching a new L200 in the near future (the current

> model been around since '96)

Oh, '96 only. I thought Mozes used it to drive up mount Sinai, but apparently it's not THAT old. :D

> Still not sure myself, I would like to wait to see the new Nissan, they

> build some nice vehicles nowadays.

I'm not holding my breath. Nissan always manages to get the looks exactly wrong. Then 3 minor changes follow in the space of one year, but just as it starts to look more or less acceptable, one of their competitors come out with something that blows it away. Then again, if I hauled ice, water bottles or gas bottles around town, the prospect of a new Nissan would be mighty exciting. :D (Sorry, was that harsh..? :o )

Cheers,

Chanchao

"Then again, if I hauled ice, water bottles or gas bottles around town, the prospect of a new Nissan would be mighty exciting"

I don't appreciate you disclosing my occupation on a public board :o

"I didn't buy a Nissan because their cookies suck"

Yeah, BMW drivers are cookie suckers too :D

INTJ

I would not buy a Toyota again because of the way they have treated me over a battery problem. I left the truck - a Hilux - in an airport car park for 7 days, and when I came back, the battery was flat. To cut a long story short, Toyota claim that this is normal for a diesel and you must not leave it for more than 4 days without driving it. They say that the alarm system is what drains the power. So when you leave it for more than four days, you must disconnect the battery so that the alarm does not work.

What a load of <deleted>.cking bullsh.it!

I am still emailing and calling them for a proper explanation.

RDN, how old was your battery?

A couple of months ago, I had my battery go dead after sitting for 6 days. Wouldn't take a charge, either. Kaput. No alarm on, no drain at all. Okay, the clock was running....

2 weeks after the 12 month warranty expired :o

Thai battery, of course .

But Isuzu was at my door less than an hour after I called to pick up my truck, take it back to the shop to test the battery and to test the truck, too, for any signs of problems that might have caused the battery to drain...n the end, the battery was dead, everything else looked okay- and they swapped in a new battery for no charge, In fact, no charge for anything. Of course, I did give a nice tip to the guys who picked up and delivered my truck.

Like I said, I highly recommend Isuzu. 100% right by me every time, so far.... TiT, na'? :D

Hi,

I too have been looking at the new Vigo with some interest. I was amazed to see the "top" model (861,000) has no leather interior, no two tone paint and no body mouldings (wheel arches, etc). Also the lower portion of the radiator is almost totally exposed behind the front bumper (fender). Most of these problems will likely be ironed out next year with the first "minor change".

Another thing to bear in mind if in the market for a truck is Isuzu are shortly to introduce a commonrail diesel engine (in the next month or so), which will probably find its way into the Colorado. However I am told this "new" engine is actually the Toyota D4D generation one engine used in the last model hilux. Also, Mitsubishi are launching a new L200 in the near future (the current model been around since '96), and also Nissan are launching a new frontier. At present there is no real competition for the Vigo, hence little or no discounts.

Speaking to a friend at a Toyota dealer at the weekend, he says wait 'til the motor expo in December, thats when the manufacturers have the last push to get the figures up for the year end. Competition is fierce, discounts are high and extras are a plenty. Free insurance, registration, a couple of baht gold, and some extras tots up towards the 50K mark.

Also buying near the year end means the car will be on a red plate for a while, so when the registration process is completed you will have a 2005 model, which in turn means the vehicle will have a higher resale value.

So Vigo or MaiGo ? Still not sure myself, I would like to wait to see the new Nissan, they build some nice vehicles nowadays. But easy to go giddy in those showrooms .................

Regards,

INTJ.

:):D

I have a Toyota D4D Generation, model (Tiger) Hilux one. Great Car… :wub: one and 9 months old now and still not many cars Kan beat mine of the lights. Auto, Four Door, 4x4, Merc Turbo etc…. :D

Only drawbacks are the name “Common-Rail” and not mushroom for the old Sick Kwai (Buffalo) in the back -_- , but nothing Common about this car. :D

The new Vigo a look-a-like from the front like a Isuzu “Ugly as H...L”. :o

Happy driving….. :(

:D

Edited by Kan Win

Thanks for all the great comments. We saw the new Toyota Vigo on display about a week ago, and it's a whole range of pickup trucks.

But I don't want even a two-liter engine, or diesel, or 4WD. I'm currently riding only a Honda CBR150, and would like a SMALL pickup next year, new.

What about the Nissan NV? It also comes with a removable top that turns it into a station wagon, yes? What else is in the small new pickup range (no more than 600,000 baht, preferably 450,000) with Japanese reliability?

Oh, and did I mention that the Isuzu leaves the Toyota in its dust? :(

:)

Teacher, :o

No you did not, BTW :wub: , until I mentioned my little TOY…….. :D

LOL :)

See you on the road somtan......... opps, I meant sometime....... :D

Happy Driving -_-

Please read my signature – could help you :D

and then maybe you Kan Win on the roads....

Happy Days :D

Edited by Kan Win

RDN, how old was your battery?

A couple of months ago, I had my battery go dead after sitting for 6 days. Wouldn't take a charge, either. Kaput. No alarm on, no drain at all. Okay, the clock was running....

2 weeks after the 12 month warranty expired  :o

Thai battery, of course .

But Isuzu was at my door less than an hour after I called to pick up my truck, take it back to the shop to test the battery and to test the truck, too, for any signs of problems that might have caused the battery to drain...n the end, the battery was dead, everything else looked okay- and they swapped in a new battery for no charge, In fact, no charge for anything. Of course, I did give a nice tip to the guys who picked up and delivered my truck.

Like I said, I highly recommend Isuzu. 100% right by me every time, so far.... TiT, na'?  :D

The truck is not one year old yet - bought it in November last year. That's why I'm so pee'd off! The battery's a Yuasa 65 amp-hour.

I got quite angry talking on my mobile to the salesman who sold me the car. Took me several calls for him to sort something out and to agree to do something to help me. He eventually agreed to send a couple of mechanics in another truck to get it started. They did what three taxi guys did at the airport - tried to jump start it. But the battery was totally flat. When I first tried to open the car using my remote, there was not even enough juice to open the doors. When I did open the door using the key, the interior light didn't come on. That's how flat the battery was!

In the end, the mechanics put their battery in my truck and started it. Then while the engine was running they swapped back my battery. I drove straight to a hardware shop and bought a battery charger (parking the truck with engine running, of course). Then I went t home and charged the battery overnight on a very low trickle charge. I did this for five or six nights. Now it starts fine, but I start it and use it every day.

What pisses me off is that Toyota did not offer to check the power drain on the battery with the car parked. What they did do was check the specific gravity after I had charged it. Of course, it was fine then. Well it would be wouldn't it?

I think their after sales service is crap - this was Toyota Pearl in Thepkasattri Road, Phuket. It took about 4 months to get white plates; I never got the English translation of my insurance policy as promised. I even took it for its 20,000 km service and waited while it was done. After I picked it up and drove home I got a phone call to say that they had forgotten to do something. It turned out they had "forgotten" to do everything - they had not done the service. I had to wait another hour for them to actually do the service! Gives you great confidence that they know what the <deleted> they are doing: "Hey Lek, don't forget to do up the wheel nuts!" "It's OK, done it already, khun boss", or did he?

This is the first email I got from Toyota:

Dear Sirs,

Firstly, on behalf of Toyota Motor Thailand Co.,Ltd., Customer Relations Department would like to express our cordially sincere thanks for your interest and support in our vehicle's product..

According to your E-Mail, Customer Relations Center would like to answer your inquiry about battery. Customer Relations Center coordinated with Technician and was infomred that this matter might be occurred. Because battery is already release the electron although the car was not started.

Once again Customer Relationa Center would like apologise you in inconveneince. For more informations, please contact the Customer Assistance Centre directly by 0-2386-2000 or [email protected].

Best Regards

Customer Relations Centre

Toyota Motor Thailand Co.,Ltd.

OK, so the release of electrons is the problem! Ha ha ha! But why so many <deleted> electrons?

I wrote again saying I wanted them to state that a Toyota truck cannot be left for 7 days without the battery becoming completely discharged.

They then emailed me with a request for all the details about the truck - license number, engine number, frame number, dealer service centre.

I then got a call from someone who could only speak Thai. I gave him to my g/f to speak to. She said that he was calling from Bangkok and said the drain on the battery was due to the alarm system being left on. So we hung up on him. I then checked the number, and it was a Phuket number, not Bangkok, so I don't know what was going on there.

I get so bl00dy fed up trying to sort these things out - if there's a problem with the alarm system taking too much current, then why did they fit it? If having their alarm system fitted means you cannot leave your car for seven days without disconnecting the battery, do they think many people will want to buy one?

I am now looking to buy an ammeter to measure the current being drawn and present this to Toyota. All I want them to do is write to me and say that their truck fitted with their alarm causes this problem. But I won't hold my breath.

> What about the Nissan NV?

It's OLD! :-) This one has been around for over 10 years. I used to drive one, it's not a bad car for the money really. But keep two things in mind: It uses gas/petrol. Now take a look at the prices for petrol and diesel at any gas station. Now think again: It uses petrol!! It's actually a pretty fast car, with a 1.6 liter engine and being relatively low on weight. The weight distribution again is a bit odd, so perhaps it's a bit TOO powerful for the rest of it. Youths love it. If you're getting one, make sure it's a second hand one because a new one will depreciate one third the second you drive it out of the showroom.

> It also comes with a removable top that turns it into a station wagon, yes?

Well, you can buy a fiberglass top for it, or have the dealer install one yes. It's not easily removable though.

> What else is in the small new pickup range (no more than 600,000 baht, preferably

> 450,000) with Japanese reliability?

I'd go for a proper pick-up any day:

* Diesel, i.e. WAY cheaper to run, and runs forever.

* Keeps it's value like gold

* Bigger/safer

* Easy & cheap maintenance

* Starts around 500,000 for a new 'mega-cab' model, i.e. 2 door but with some more space for stuff or kids in the back.

Cheers,

Chanchao

> I am now looking to buy an ammeter to measure the current

> being drawn and present this to Toyota. All I want them to do

> is write to me and say that their truck fitted with their alarm

> causes this problem.

Well... Seems your main issue is with the dealer, not so much with Toyota as a brand. Especially as it's likely caused by an after-market alarm system that's installed by that dealer. That said, I too am not buying Toyota because of dealer issues: Up in Chiang Mai (and Lamphun, etc.) there is only ONE company that runs Toyota dealerships, so a complete monopoly. And it shows. They push their own very expensive financing, don't give any extras, and give you only a tiny amount for any trade-in. Being the only operation for 100s of miles, why should they? Compare this with Isuzu, where there are several independent companies running dealerships; you can negotiate with one, then go to the other and see what their best offer is.

Note that some of the things you're saying I think are bordering "typical Farang attitude" : Translating an insurance policy to English is quite a major request, AND it's a request for the insurance company, which is not the same as Toyota or the Toyota dealer. (even when you sign the documents at the dealer). What would an American car dealership say if Jacques Le Frog stepped in asking them to translate their policy to French? :o (No points for answering that one.) Note also that if they translate it, it would have to be 100% correct and legal, or there could be conflicts in case the translation is franctionally different from the original text.

> I then got a call from someone who could only speak Thai.

"I zen gut ay call frum zumwan who coot oenly zpeak English and I wuz like "hey why dont yoo gays learn zu zpeak your langwichzes? "

Sorry :D I do of course agree that the dealership was at fault installing some shoddy alarm system. But rather than go bark up the Toyota tree all the way to Tokyo, what you want is for them to just install a different alarm system and you'll pay the difference to what the proper one costs.

Cheers,

Chanchao

Hi Folks,

Interesting info about the pickups. That Vigo does look nice from the outside and the price seems reasonable but it seems (according to some posts on here) to be a bit cheap in some areas. My father-in-law has a Toyota Hilux Tiger (2001) and it runs like a dream. With the turbo charger, even its little 2.5 liter engine makes the truck run fairly quick. My older brother-in-law says the Izuzu D-Max (current model) uses an engine of older technology than the Toyotas or his new Ford Ranger and they get a bit noisy and shaky after 100K. Anybody had this experience? However, I've heard that they are a good, solid truck and will last for many years.

Peace Blondie...the Nissan NV is a car we looked at a couple years ago...they are cheap and a friend of ours has one but they look about as weak as a Coke can not to mention they burn more gas than one would think for a car that size. With gas prices up so much these days and diesel engines lasting so long the pickup seems to be the best choice even if you're not hauling stuff around town. The NV has a "tinny" feeling to it. We have an old Toyota Corona 81' and that thing is built like a tank...it goes 0-60mph in 5 miles but they don't build them like they used to!

> My older brother-in-law says the Izuzu D-Max (current model)

> uses an engine of older technology than the Toyotas or his

> new Ford Ranger and they get a bit noisy and shaky after 100K.

> Anybody had this experience?

Well, noisyness is a bit of a hallmark of Isuzu. :-) It's gradually getting better though, even though the D-Max still uses the same engine as was the latest one to go into the previous model, I think the sound insulation is better. They're definitely due for a new engine though, likely accompanied by a minor change in looks to compete with the new Toyota.

As for shaky, all diesel engines are shaky, and with time I think it wears out the engine mounts that keep the engine in place. Even my Ford engine got a bit shaky when starting and shutting off, but at one of the maintenance visits they changed some rubber blocks and tightened things up and now it's rock-steady again.

I don't agree the Ford engine is particulary modern though. Yes it's very powerful (at high revs) for the size, (turbo-intercooler), and it really is very quiet which was a nice change coming from an older Isuzu model. Two downsides though to the Ford turbo engine, which hasn't been updated since the current model went on sale pretty much 7 years ago: Low end torque is abysmal for off-road use, and it's a lot thirstier than Isuzu and recent Toyota engines. If I try *VERY* hard then I get 11.5 kilometers out of a liter. Isuzu gives me 15 kilometers without even trying, and Toyota D4D should be even more fuel efficient still.

Anyone know when Isuzu are planning to do their engine update/minor change? Or any word on a new L200 (Strada) from Mitsu?

Cheers,

Chanchao

Chanchao,

A friend of ours who works for an auto parts distributor (Ford/Mazda) said that Izuzu's new commonrail type engine is going to be launched very soon...within the next two months. This should help them compete a bit better in the market and it would no doubt make the engine more efficient. The Ford Ranger does take quite a bit more fuel than the D-Max...I believe my brother-in-law's gets maybe 12km/liter on the highway and about 10 in the city...not too good considering that the engine is not even a 3.0

As for shaky, all diesel engines are shaky

Mine isn't.

If your's is shaky, that is not normal. Diesel engines are not designed that way, and if it was true, the engine wouldn't last long... Just look at any bus engine or other vehicle using a diesel- none of them shake. But of your engine is on rubber supports, there is going to be some slight movement with any engine, not just a diesel. And if those mounts are worn or whatever, your engine will shake more...

As you suggested, if your rubber engine mounts are worn, get them replaced. :o

Eh, yes. Before getting those things replaced, it was shaking a little bit when the engine was cold and I just started. It didn't cost significant money to get that done. (I'm at 120,000 km so far, and at perhaps 1000 baht *total* on changing any things that aren't in the 'normal wear' category (like tyres, break pads, battery) Besides those engine mounts there was a tiny plastic ring near the gear leaver that was cracked and replaced (150 baht or so) and one of the central-lock thingies that lock the door when you press the button. :o So knocking on wood so far. :D

Cheers,

Chanchao

> A friend of ours who works for an auto parts distributor (Ford/Mazda) said

> that Izuzu's new commonrail type engine is going to be launched very

> soon...within the next two months.

Yes.. actually during lunch I noticed an ad for it in the Thai Rath Daily Crash & Crime Roundup Paper. (Anyone really wants to call it a "newspaper" ? :D ) Was called i-teq or something.. (Haha.. Ee-Taek..)

> This should help them compete a bit better in the market

Well, they're already WAY on top and it seems they were just sitting on this waiting for Toyota.. then Toyo launches their new rig, they sit tight for a month for all the hype to die down and then they hit them with the improved engine and minor change bits.. They're like Ferrari when it comes to strategy. :D

> The Ford Ranger does take quite a bit more fuel than the D-Max...I

> believe my brother-in-law's gets maybe 12km/liter on the highway and

> about 10 in the city...

I actually get pretty much the same in the city.. Of course it helps that it's Chiang Mai and traffic mostly actually moves at 60 kph or so. Also mine being a rather high 4x4 model with stuff on it, it catches more wind the faster you go. :o So that 11.5 per liter is pretty much the same no matter if it's city or highway. Actually when I drive highway all the way to Bangkok it goes down to 10 or so, especially if you drive 120-140. :D

> not too good considering that the engine is not even a 3.0

It's got more horsepower than the old Toyota 3.0 engine (non-D4D) and is faster than the current Isuzu 3.0 engine though. (But miles behind in low-end torque)

Cheers,

Chanchao

...  Seems your main issue is with the dealer, not so much with Toyota as a brand.

I agree. This particular dealer is always busy, always chaotic when I go for a service. That's why now I make an appointment for a service. They used to say 'Come in the morning and pick it up at night' meaning that they would do it sometime during the day. But I don't want to be without it all day, so now I make an appointment, always turn up early and wait an hour for the service to be done. That's why I was so pissed off when I had to go back because they had not done the service. What kind of quality control system do they have if they can let a car out that has not been serviced?

Especially as it's likely caused by an after-market alarm system that's installed by that dealer.

Again, correct - it was not a Toyota alarm, but one recommended by the dealer as a cheaper alternative. Of course, he didn't say it would take half an amp.

That said, I too am not buying Toyota because of dealer issues: Up in Chiang Mai (and Lamphun, etc.) there is only ONE company that runs Toyota dealerships, so a complete monopoly.  And it shows.  They push their own very expensive financing, don't give any extras, and give you only a tiny amount for any trade-in. Being the only operation for 100s of miles, why should they?  Compare this with Isuzu, where there are several independent companies running dealerships; you can negotiate with one, then go to the other and see what their best offer is.
Yes, this guy is the same - almost as soon as he had the money, his interest in doing anything more for me got visibly less every time I spoke to him.
Note that some of the things you're saying I think are bordering "typical Farang attitude" : Translating an insurance policy to English is quite a major request, AND it's a request for the insurance company, which is not the same as Toyota or the Toyota dealer. (even when you sign the documents at the dealer).    What would an American car dealership say if Jacques Le Frog stepped in asking them to translate their policy to French? :D  (No points for answering that one.)  Note also that if they translate it, it would have to be 100% correct and legal, or there could be conflicts in case the translation is franctionally different from the original text.

Very true, but it was promised and never arrived. I did find out from a neighbour that this particular company was getting it translated in Bangkok because of the number of English speaking farangs buying vehicles. I should investigate this more - maybe use it a as a bargaining point for next year's insurance premium.

> I then got a call from someone who could only speak Thai.

"I zen gut ay call frum zumwan who coot oenly zpeak English and I wuz like "hey why dont yoo gays learn zu zpeak your langwichzes? " 

Sorry :D  I do of course agree that the dealership was at fault installing some shoddy alarm system.  But rather than go bark up the Toyota tree all the way to Tokyo, what you want is for them to just install a different alarm system and you'll pay the difference to what the proper one costs.

:o:D:D I also want this salesman to get a kick up the arse from head office for recommending a poor quality alarm system.