Kid's And I Traveling To Chiang Mai Later This Month

gary and kids

My (2) teenage kids and I will be traveling to Chiang mai later this month for 4 days, any ideas on places to stay ?we looking for somewhere (not too expensive)near the night market that might be more tradition thai style place (I've herd of some type of Thai style tree house there??) any ideas on good trekking co. would also be greatly appreciated. we want to go on a 1 nite two day trek.

Thank you for any and all ideas - We can't wait to get there- :o

My (2) teenage kids and I will be traveling to Chiang mai later this month for 4 days, any ideas on places to stay ?we looking for somewhere (not too expensive)near the night market that might be more tradition thai style place (I've herd of some type of Thai style tree house there??) any ideas on good trekking co. would also be greatly appreciated. we want to go on a 1 nite two day trek.

Thank you for any and all ideas - We can't wait to get there- :o

Your question is open ended so I would recommend you go to the Chiangmai accomodation list and research what is listed: http://www.hotelthailand.net/search_instan...;bd=1&sList=

Search the forum on "trekking" et al and you should find lots of info.

Thank you for any and all ideas - We can't wait to get there- :D

There are a lot of hotels around the night bazaar but none that I can think of that are particulary 'traditional'. I'd recommend the Royal Lanna though which is a reasonably priced hotel - especially if you book through Chiang Mai Marvel -do a google search.

Loads of things to do - a trip up to Doi suthep, the Elephant Conservation Centre, treks are a plenty but I wouldn't know which one to recommend. There's a new company started up that runs something called "flight of the Gibbon' or something like that [do gibbons fly :o ] which is a canopy walk out in the sticks somewhere - looks good fun from the pictures I've seen - maybe do a google search again :D , looks ideal for teenagers.

Flight of the Gibbons (see pinned thread: days out):

For those who love to play Tarzan or Jane, The Flight of the Gibbon (a rainforest canopy ecotour) might be a worthy daytrip.

They have build several platforms high up in the canopy where you glide along cables from one platform to the other, while on a safety line and under close supervision of two guides all the time.

It is located approximately 37 km from Chiang Mai at the village of Mae Kompong on the edge of a beautiful national park.

You can go there as a one-day trip or stay overnight.

Check out their website www.treetopasia.com and for more info: http://www.ecospace.cc/travel/rainforest-c...y-tour-0108.htm

Costs if booked online were a little less than 1700 bhat pp, and on request they collect from and bring back to your hotel/GH.

Nienke

I can recommend the Lai Thai Guesthouse on Kotchasarn Road near Loi Kroh for a 'traditional' Lanna style Guesthouse. Just a short walk to the Night Bazar. I stayed there for a couple of days when I first came. Prices are very reasonable there, (I paid 550 Baht per night for a double room) and the rooms all have A/C and 'traditional' teak furniture. They have a large staff and all of them are super friendly and everyone at the front desk speaks fluent English. The restaurant is excellent and is open until very late. They also have a swimming pool. Friends of mine stayed there too and they loved it.

Flight of the Gibbons (see pinned thread: days out):
For those who love to play Tarzan or Jane, The Flight of the Gibbon (a rainforest canopy ecotour) might be a worthy daytrip.

They have build several platforms high up in the canopy where you glide along cables from one platform to the other, while on a safety line and under close supervision of two guides all the time.

It is located approximately 37 km from Chiang Mai at the village of Mae Kompong on the edge of a beautiful national park.

You can go there as a one-day trip or stay overnight.

Check out their website www.treetopasia.com and for more info: http://www.ecospace.cc/travel/rainforest-c...y-tour-0108.htm

Costs if booked online were a little less than 1700 bhat pp, and on request they collect from and bring back to your hotel/GH.

Nienke

Thanks for all the help folks,the flight of the gibbons looks fun and I dont think the kids can find it boring

we can't wait to get to CM. :o

I can recommend the Lai Thai Guesthouse on Kotchasarn Road near Loi Kroh for a 'traditional' Lanna style Guesthouse. Just a short walk to the Night Bazar. I stayed there for a couple of days when I first came. Prices are very reasonable there, (I paid 550 Baht per night for a double room) and the rooms all have A/C and 'traditional' teak furniture. They have a large staff and all of them are super friendly and everyone at the front desk speaks fluent English. The restaurant is excellent and is open until very late. They also have a swimming pool. Friends of mine stayed there too and they loved it.

Agree 100%, but do NOT deal with the rascally tuk tuk drivers outside the Lai Thai. One of the few nastry rip off bunches in town. And if you rent small motorcycles (apart from taking your lives in your hands) do NOT park them anywhere near those tuk tuks. You'll find your tyres let down and/or the petrol tap turned off. Sorry, but personal experience!

Agree 100%, but do NOT deal with the rascally tuk tuk drivers outside the Lai Thai. One of the few nastry rip off bunches in town. And if you rent small motorcycles (apart from taking your lives in your hands) do NOT park them anywhere near those tuk tuks. You'll find your tyres let down and/or the petrol tap turned off. Sorry, but personal experience!

I absolutely agree with Flattenthefrog. Several times I had problems with the tuk-tuk drivers out front when I wanted to park my car there. Fortunately there was usually one driver who recognized me, and knowing that I would only be staying there for 30 minutes or so picking up students, calmed down the other drivers. Lovely guest house with great staff, but watch out if you need to park!