Khao Lak...some Info Needed?

SpaceCow

I had some very mixed info about Khao Lak's beaches...

Some say the beaches are STILL in very bad shape after the Tsunami (dead corals on the beach-> hard to walk and stuff like that).

Some say the beaches aren't very nice at all (the ocean is brown, not blue like in postcards, water is very murky...).

And some say totally opposite. :o

Any comments about the "White Sand Beach"?

I think it is in the Pakarang area (some kilometers up north from Khao Lak)?

Anyone knows good site to see some recent beach pictures from Khao Lak?

And how is the road from Phuket's airport to Khao Lak?

In map it seems to be pretty straight... But are there lots of hills (ups+downs)?

Or is it more flat...?

Some say the beaches are STILL in very bad shape after the Tsunami (dead corals on the beach-> hard to walk and stuff like that).

Some say the beaches aren't very nice at all (the ocean is brown, not blue like in postcards, water is very murky...).

In map it seems to be pretty straight... But are there lots of hills (ups+downs)?

Or is it more flat...?

In the Khao Lak area there are only dead corals on the beach at Pakkarang Cape, but that has nothing to do with the tsunami, it has always been like that. I have been living in Khao Lak since 2000.

White Sand Beach is very pretty and has ample shade, to go there take the turnoff to Pakkarang Cape, and then turn right at the sign for the Sarojin Hotel.

Like elsewhere, also in Khao Lak it depends on wheather conditions how pretty the ocean is and how clear the water.

Many people like Khao Lak because of the long beach walks. Walking northwards along Bang Niang Beach towards Pakkarang Cape, after crossing the shallow lagoon you have the beach pretty much to yourself.

The road from Phuket airport is excellent. Up to Khokkloy 5 KM after you leave Phuket it is 4 lane, after that it becomes a broad 2 lane road. It is easy to navigate, pretty straight and absolutely no hills to speak off. You can drive 5th gear all the way, apart from the 2 small towns you have to pass through.

Edited by keestha

Or is it more flat...?

I need to ask why people are posting for Khao Lak on the Krabi Forum? Here the poster actually refers to the road from Phuket !

Moderators:Why do you not move these to the Phuket Forum? The people in Phuket will have a lot more info (as it's an hour north) than Krabi people (two-three hours south).