Immigration Clarifies Cash Requirement Rule

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok, so you think its not a lot of money. but are we supposed to carry all of our money with us at all times too, just like our passports????

If they make it the law yes.. why do you think you can avoid the law? are you special> if so I would love to know why.. instead of moaning think about ways to work round the problem, every thread has said that this is not on all border crossings so go to one that does not enforce it if you are really worried about loosing 10K

And if you can't afford to be here don't be.

10,000 baht in Thailand is the same as 2 month's wages. The equivalent of this in America is having $10,000 in your pocket, plus change. 8 people per bus is almost $100,000, just for the taking. 20 or 30 buses a day...maybe half a million in cash, no armed guards, just "normal" people. Crossing in and out of Mexico evry day. Day after day.

Point made, this should put things in perspective.

How can this put things in perspective? You all can talk as much as you want about the 10,000 baht being the "equivalent of" $10,000 and $100,000 in a group BUT the whole point is that it isn't $10,000/£100,000 is it! It is merely $250/$2,500 in all. What is this if you are wanting to live in a country that is not yours as a tourist? If you dont have the money go home and earn some and then come back. Failing that, I suppose you all could rob some tourists with money now, just wait at the border crossings and join the Thai robbers that you all are so worried about!

Falcon

Falcon, you still don't get the point.

Example: Bus with logo "visa run" on the way from Phuket to Ranong. Many hours to drive . There are a lot of rural areas you have to pass. Why should anyone with the intention to rob wait until you reach the border. The bus logo indicates already that everybody in it has the cash they want.

Take the visa run bus. One person carries 10,000 Baht. When in line at the immigration post the person who is first in line passes the money to the person behind them and so on. How you guys can carry on so much about 10,000 Baht is a miracle. When I go to the ATM every 3 or 4 months I pull out 80,000, the only problem I have is that I have to do 4 consecutive transactions, thank goodness for the patience of the Thais who are queued behind me. And no I have never had a problem four years in LOS.

Take the visa run bus. One person carries 10,000 Baht. When in line at the immigration post the person who is first in line passes the money to the person behind them and so on. How you guys can carry on so much about 10,000 Baht is a miracle. When I go to the ATM every 3 or 4 months I pull out 80,000, the only problem I have is that I have to do 4 consecutive transactions, thank goodness for the patience of the Thais who are queued behind me. And no I have never had a problem four years in LOS.

This is a great idea . I will suggest it to the companies who are running the visa service. The driver has to carry the cash and can pass it one by one to the passengers at the border.

Congratulations , are you Thai??

This is a great idea . I will suggest it to the companies who are running the visa service. The driver has to carry the cash ....

I have this picture in my head of a very happy minibus driver, laughing his head off, driving back from the border with an empty bus... :o

So nex time Chuckie, remember...do not write before engaging brain. Better still...wait till you have some idea of what you are talking about!

Thanks for clearing that up, Rob. You're really be the expert on this. It would seem that my studies of the Thai civil, commercial, and penal codes count for nothing. Neither do my past and present prosecutions and defenses of civil and criminal lawsuits. I know some lawyers, public prosecuters, and judges that would get a good laugh from your little tirade.

Have you ever been in a Thai courtroom, Rob? Have you ever even seen a courthouse?

Believe it or not, the police here are subject to the constraints of the law. Ignorance of the law can make for easy prey, however (excessive fines and whatnot). And there aren't many people willing to file suit against police officers.

Anyway, thanks again for improving the signal to noise ratio here, Robbie.

Chuck

So nex time Chuckie, remember...do not write before engaging brain. Better still...wait till you have some idea of what you are talking about!

Thanks for clearing that up, Rob. You're really be the expert on this. It would seem that my studies of the Thai civil, commercial, and penal codes count for nothing. Neither do my past and present prosecutions and defenses of civil and criminal lawsuits. I know some lawyers, public prosecuters, and judges that would get a good laugh from your little tirade.

Have you ever been in a Thai courtroom, Rob? Have you ever even seen a courthouse?

Believe it or not, the police here are subject to the constraints of the law. Ignorance of the law can make for easy prey, however (excessive fines and whatnot). And there aren't many people willing to file suit against police officers.

Anyway, thanks again for improving the signal to noise ratio here, Robbie.

Chuck

LOL@typical lawyer pathologically needing to puff himself up... :o

Feel free to insert any appropriate lawyer joke after this post... LOL

....Feel free to insert any appropriate lawyer joke after this post... LOL

Q: If you are stranded on a desert island with Adolph Hitler, Atilla the Hun, and a lawyer, and you have a gun with only two bullets, what do you do?

A: Shoot the lawyer twice.

No problem to tell you how it goes to get a residency:

Just look at thaivisa.com / residency, and you get all informations!

No need for all that nonsense... I just went to Room 301 like you said...and told them that you had sent me there and wham... 4 hours later they gave me permanent residence.

I hope you remembered to tell 'em that the OvenMan was also on his way in... :o

No need for all that nonsense... I just went to Room 301 like you said...and told them that you had sent me there and wham... 4 hours later they gave me permanent residence.

I hope you remembered to tell 'em that the OvenMan was also on his way in... :D

Hey guys you probably shouldn't joke about the chezandy solution in too serious a manner.....

With the level of thinking power of some of the posters, there may be a mob of people trying to get into room 301 :o

When I go to the ATM every 3 or 4 months I pull out 80,000, the only problem I have is that I have to do 4 consecutive transactions, thank goodness for the patience of the Thais who are queued behind me. And no I have never had a problem four years in LOS.

Doesn't sound to smart dman.... Is 80,000 baht a lot of money or is it not..... I just hope someday when you are withdrawing your 80,000 baht some of the "Thais" or whomever you are keeping waiting behind you just don't decide it is.... Then again it is dman not sman

Doesn't sound to smart dman....    Is 80,000 baht a lot of money or is it not.....  I just hope someday when you are withdrawing your 80,000 baht  some of the "Thais" or whomever you are keeping waiting behind you just don't decide it is....      Then again it is dman not sman

Toopeeka 1

I like your wit, that was a good one. :D Seriously if 10,000 or even 80,000 would put me in a life of financial ruin, I would not be living here, I would have no business even thinking about living here. And oh you did mean s=stupid, yes that is why I did not use it. :o For me the most dangerous part of life in LOS is motorbikes and driving in anything but a tank late in the evening. Keep up the entertainment.

Cheers