Are You Happy In Thailand As An Expat?

Baaksida

What influences your future plans for expat life in Thailand?  

81 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

How did recent changes in nighttime entertainment, visa- and work permit-regulations and -costs effect your long-term plans of living as an expat in Thailand? Are you considering to move back 'early' to your home country?

As for me, I am very unsure now about my long-term prospects in Thailand. I would definitely like to stay for the next couple of years, but are worried what this and future Thailand governments might be up to. :o

As for the nightlife changes over the last few years, I go out less often and have no more desire to travel to places like Patong or Pattaya. (It just isn't the same as four or five years ago...) :D

I nowadays travel less often in Thailand, but to neighbouring countries instead.

I am married, live mostly up-country and probably considered boring now. The changes don't affect things in this part of the world as much as Bangkok. In Suphan, you can still have a drink at almost any hour you like etc etc etc. Surin is a bit slower, but Soi Cola seems still to go on forever.

I don't drink and party like many here, and the few restrictions don't affect me, except in the positive, mostly from less noise late at night from the roadside bars in my area. The noise really carries...

I'm sure to get flamed for saying this, but I'm happy to see some attempts to help Thai society in any way. I think they're on the right track with placing some reasonable controls on 'places of nighttime entertainment'...

Given that, I feel that the government needs to provide better support for education and training for other professions, like the 'legit' spa business, which has been growing by leaps and bounds the last couple of years...

Excuse me for adding the final option. :o I thought even the first one was a bit on the negative side; it assumes that everyone agrees that stricter laws are a bad thing. I bet there is an equal number of expats that's quite happy that the little Karaoke shack next door doesn't go on until 5am! :D

Cheers,

Chanchao

Excuse me for adding the final option. :D I thought even the first one was a bit on the negative side; it assumes that everyone agrees that stricter laws are a bad thing. I bet there is an equal number of expats that's quite happy that the little Karaoke shack next door doesn't go on until 5am! :D

Cheers,

Chanchao

You could have asked first... :o

what about the option...

I've already left ???

Have you?? :D

yes

nice country , nice people but working in LOS is ######.

To much hot air and fake promises, to difficult and insecure to start a biz.

Didn't want to become a poorly underpaid english teacher just so i can live in so called "paradise". so i could "dream" about making it big whilest living as a slob in a shack. Went back BEFORE the money ran out.

Back in europe working IT contracts, restarted my company, doing great again despite the cold weather.

Will come only for Holiday's and do some import biz but that's it.

LOS is nice if you have money from outside , if you have to make it there it sucks... :o

Wifey likes europe better also, wonders why thailand has changed so much lately. What she doesn't realise it that she has changed! she doesn't take the Face crap also anymore :D

Edited by Darknight

Excuse me for adding the final option. :D I thought even the first one was a bit on the negative side; it assumes that everyone agrees that stricter laws are a bad thing. I bet there is an equal number of expats that's quite happy that the little Karaoke shack next door doesn't go on until 5am! :D

Cheers,

Chanchao

Chanchao,

although running the risk to be considered old fashioned, dull and boring I'm absolutely with ya.

Sure there have been moments ticking me off close to madness but I just still can not imagine any other (better) place to live :o

Chaiyo,

Richard

I am with you on your post Darknight, it is not easy to make money here as most of the time, the people you are dealing with are thieves, whatever their level on the social scale. My experience anyway.

Bar hours is not a problem for me as there always is somewhere to go, even if it is a friends place.

The bar owners with the rent a girl must be hurting a bit, but who cares about those pimps anyway.

Thailand is a great place to live, if you do not do business with scabby foreigners of corrupt Thais - so thats about 70% of the population.

I'll be here forever. The changes here are a far cry from the changes back in the States, where the landscape is ever-rapidly becoming homogenous and sterile by the burgeoning Corporate America, and mounting fears about everything and anything force ever-increasing passage of 'protective' laws that stifle my idea of freedom. (If you really want to be safe then go live in a rubber room and never see the light of day.)

I think of the Thais first and foremost. Friendly, at ease, polite, respectful. A culture where it seems the entire population has taken, and passed with flying colors, anger management courses (of course, there are and always will be exceptions, but, I feel, proportionately small).

Personally, I feel more free in Thailand than back 'where I come from.' Where else can you drive as fast as the roads will allow without concern over speed-traps or other annoying traffic control devices (Don't get me wrong, I do drive safely. But when you hit a stop sign in the middle of a cornfield without another car within miles I don't need a sign to instruct me on what I need to do to take care of myself.)? Or literally drive however you like (comparitively speaking) and never encounter road rage (at least in my two year's experience). Or if you do get pulled over for a violation you pay a minimal sum to the police officer and his family rather than a good chunk of change to government (not to mention court appearances, potential legal fees and possible classroom time (similar to a school detention)).

I feel safer in Thailand than I do in the States (are there any bad neighborhoods in any large city here?). Try passing people on a street in the U.S. and receiving a smile. In most cases you'll be lucky to make eye contact for more than a split second. I love to walk along anywhere and make a Thai smile just by looking at him, keeping the eye contact, and then smiling. Whatever current threats there are against farang in Thailand now I'd bet a dollar to a donut that the instances don't add up to diddly-squat compared to the overall well-being that prominently exists.

Now don't get me going about Thai women. To each their own, but slender and petite is my cup of tea (and coffee and whatever else there is that I drink). The natural scenery here affords countless views daily. My, my, my. I've had a golden-hearted girlfriend (fiancee now) for 3 years counting. And while the flowers are plentiful and sweet I'm a butterfly who's happily nested. In my opinion, if you can't get along with a Thai woman then I don't know who you can get along with.

I'm also not a party animal so changes regarding the nightlife don't affect me. Doesn't stop me from having a good 'ol time drinking until 5AM at any friend's house.

Then there's the climate, the never-ending variety of Thai food, the landscapes, etc., etc., etc. Again, to each their own. Thailand suits my personal preferences moreso than anywhere else I've been.

I am with you on your post Darlnight, it is not easy to make money here as most of the time, the people you are dealing with are thieves, whatever their level on the social scale. My experience anyway.

indeed, i've been conned or stolen from by market vendors up to a surgeon and his university teacher wife, and everything in between.

Say's a lot of the hidden moral of thai people.

Also legally no foot to stand on , no social structure ect..

i must agree living cost is low (relatively, only for food) but that is changing rapidly.

Bangkok property rents are skyhigh, only real jobs are in bangkok... same same europe...

How did recent changes in nighttime entertainment, visa- and work permit-regulations and -costs effect your long-term plans of living as an expat in Thailand? Are you considering to move back 'early' to your home country?

As for me, I am very unsure now about my long-term prospects in Thailand. I would definitely like to stay for the next couple of years, but are worried what this and future Thailand governments might be up to. :o

As for the nightlife changes over the last few years, I go out less often and have no more desire to travel to places like Patong or Pattaya. (It just isn't the same as four or five years ago...) :D

I nowadays travel less often in Thailand, but to neighbouring countries instead.

How has pattaya changed?

I like it here. Life is easier for me here in many ways.

My main concern is that I find it difficult to find romance here. I might have a better chance of finding a wife or girlfriend back in the U.S. than here.

On the surface, I find Thai females to be very attractive and open to romance. But, I have not had good luck in forming a deeper connection with Thai females.

As I get older, it will get more difficult. I am worried that I will squander my best chance for finding a wife or girlfriend by staying here.

My very superficial contact with Thai females has been enough to sustain me. But, at the same time it destroys the motivation and discipline needed to make a serious effort to find someone.

A second concern is that I am having difficulty finding a way to feel like I am making a contribution. As a result, I have a sense of meaninglessness.

-q

Married with a young family. That us why I will stay forever, however there will be a time when we all leave for my birth country for my wife to get her passport and the kids to experience western schooling.

Overall I am here for retirement (I am 29 yrs old, but hope to retire from full time work in 10 years time).

Thailand is home now!!!

Love living here very much.

Only issue with influx of expats who seem completely unwilling to try to learn anything about the country.

Whilst we may never completely understand the country, I am sick of people who are not the little bit curious of the people, culture and the such. Unfortunately, the strength of the euro/pound affords more and more people to retire here. I do not want to end up living surrounded by loafers who's only wish is to watch UBC and wait for the bar to open. Might end up like a very bad atmosphered old peoples home.

Only issue with influx of expats who seem completely unwilling to try to learn anything about the country.

Whilst we may never completely understand the country, I am sick of people who are not the little bit curious of the people, culture and the such.

Well, on the other hand you have people like me, who lived on and of in Thailand/came for holidays since seven years.

There were times when I was new to Thailand, when I wanted to be 200% Thai, learn the language, smile all the time, eat only Thai food, being overly friendly to every Thai. I learned about the culture, history and started to learn the language, was standing up for the national anthem...

But then I had a Thai girlfriend (university student)... All the nasty remarks in her village: "Why you have Thai girlfriend? You no money for bargirls?", or in her government office (after she graduated in accountancy): "Farang have Aids...".

Always when I come back from Tesco Lotus or Big C, I have some people whispering: "Farang baaaah..." The same when I go on foot 15 metres from my home to the next internet cafe: 'farang baaaah'... ('Why farang not use taxi for the 15 metres?')

Quite the only places where I feel respected as a human being are my government school where I work, and my fiancee's parents home. And my only Thai friends are friends of my girlfriend or some of my former students.

And also those stares and 'farang, farang' whispers behind my back, cheatings, etc. etc.

I nowadays don't care about the language anymore, don't care as much for the culture as I used to, dislike the silly Thai TV (I watch HBO instead), eat Thai food rather seldom (but my girlfriend and I eat mostly western food) and don't like to go out often due to the stares and the 'farang, farang' talking.

I can say, that I'm just staying in Thailand now because of my (new) girlfriend who studies here (after that??), the beaches and climate, and for travelling to other countries in Asia.

There were times when I was new to Thailand, when I wanted to be 200% Thai, learn the language, smile all the time, eat only Thai food, being overly friendly to every Thai. I learned about the culture, history and started to learn the language, was standing up for the national anthem...

But then I had a Thai girlfriend (university student)... All the nasty remarks in her village: "Why you have Thai girlfriend? You no money for bargirls?", or in her government office (after she graduated in accountancy): "Farang have Aids...".

Always when I come back from Tesco Lotus or Big C, I have some people whispering: "Farang baaaah..." The same when I go on foot 15 metres from my home to the next internet cafe: 'farang baaaah'... ('Why farang not use taxi for the 15 metres?')

Quite the only places where I feel respected as a human being are my government school where I work, and my fiancee's parents home. And my only Thai friends are friends of my girlfriend or some of my former students.

And also those stares and 'farang, farang' whispers behind my back, cheatings, etc. etc.

I nowadays don't care about the language anymore, don't care as much for the culture as I used to, dislike the silly Thai TV (I watch HBO instead), eat Thai food rather seldom (but my girlfriend and I eat mostly western food) and don't like to go out often due to the stares and the 'farang, farang' talking.

I can say, that I'm just staying in Thailand now because of my (new) girlfriend who studies here (after that??), the beaches and climate, and for travelling to other countries in Asia.

Don't feel too down-in-the-mouth, Baaksida. Exposure to anti-foreigner sentiment is part of the package of being a foriegner in any land. So what! As they say, opinions are like @$$h0I&$ . . . everyone has one. You can choose to ignore it or you can choose to make a mountain out of a molehill (and beware of that choice). There's too much good to appreciate and enjoy to allow truly insignificant events color your entire landscape. And apprciation will always be the key whether it's a person, place, or thing. Put on the glasses you were wearing when you first came here. They're still sitting by your side where you absent-mindedly left them!

:o:D:D

There's too much good to appreciate and enjoy to allow truly insignificant events color your entire landscape.

Well, I have to admit, that I sometimes have very pleasant experiences with Thai people, not only negative ones. Usually with the ones I know and who (want to) know me. :o

I like it here. Life is easier for me here in many ways.

My main concern is that I find it difficult to find romance here. I might have a better chance of finding a wife or girlfriend back in the U.S. than here.

On the surface, I find Thai females to be very attractive and open to romance. But, I have not had good luck in forming a deeper connection with Thai females.

As I get older, it will get more difficult. I am worried that I will squander my best chance for finding a wife or girlfriend by staying here.

My very superficial contact with Thai females has been enough to sustain me. But, at the same time it destroys the motivation and discipline needed to make a serious effort to find someone.

A second concern is that I am having difficulty finding a way to feel like I am making a contribution. As a result, I have a sense of meaninglessness.

-q

Get out of the Temple Mr Q. It inhibits your chances. :o

Baaksida wrote:

> Always when I come back from Tesco Lotus or Big C, I have some

> people whispering: "Farang baaaah..." The same when I go on foot

> 15 metres from my home to the next internet cafe: 'farang baaaah'..

I almost wonder if I live in the same Thailand as you do?

Maybe time to move away from Pattaya (wild guess) ?

I have lived here now for almost 2 years, married to a Thai lady for three years who lived with me in the UK before we relocated.

Luckily I do not have to work anymore, managed to retire well before my time, and do not think there are many places in the world where I could have done this for the expenditure and my present lifestyle.

I can honestly say that these last two years have been the happiest in my life and hope they continue. A much better life than I could have hoped for in my own country where I probably would have had to worked until I dropped.

Of course there are the odd problem’s associated with being a foreigner, but nothing I haven’t been able to come to terms with or handle so far.

The nightlife and visa changes haven’t really effected me yet. I guess as long as I have the money and the correct visa, there should be no problems, but who can tell for the future.

Yes, I do also like to go out and drink etc. a couple of nights or so a week, but not any change that is noticeable in the bars or Go Go’s in Pattaya.

Last but not least is the comfort issue. The eleven room house (ten minutes from Pattaya) we live in cost a tiny fraction of the sale price from my old end of terrace house in London and I could never have afforded anything so grand in my home country.

So, no complaints from me.

Mike.

I, too, was like baaksida for the first few years here. learned a lot, but now I feel like I learned TOO much. everywhere you go you meet the same ignorant people, farang this and farang that as you walk by (yes, in bangkok) Once I yelled at someone "khon, mai chai farang. Khon!" I felt really bad afterward though.

I'm tired of everytime I walk out of my house and get in a taxi/ on a bus I have to sit at a red light 15 minutes, speed for two, red light 15 minutes. anytime of day. It sucks!! last night I went from victory monument to the WTC by taxi. 40 ###### minutes at 9PM. its ridiculous. and you meet morons every where. today I called nok air 4 times and still no resolution to my original (easy) question. call any 'call center' and good luck my friend.

i was in a restaurant in siam square tonight. dishes cost 400-800 baht each. there was a roach on the table. we killed it. a few mintues later, another roach. I showed the waitress, she laughed as she slammed it with a dish. I said "is a roach funny?" she said that they come because of the rain (like I am an idiot and don't know that). "will I get sick?" "no, the kitchen is clean" So, my table, which only had food on it for ten minutes attracted two roaches, but the kitchen, where all the food is kept and you can see the 'japanese' chefs grabbing the raw food with their bare hands, is clean?

the list could go on forever. quality of life here is pretty close to zero.