In and out of thailand

can anybody explain to me why so many thais want to  come and live in the u.s. while on the flip side so many  farangs want to  go back and live forever in thailand...other than the fact that maybe they think their going to come here and get rich...why on earth would they want to live in the u.s.of a...I  cant wait get out...any comments :cool:

I have Thai friends who have move to the US, England and Denmark. They say this: A major thing they say is that they are so happy to be away from the Thai culture. For most of us farangs, we remain on the outside of the culture, so it remains an interesting, fun and sometimes annoying phenomena. If we do something against the culture and tradition, we are usually forgiven becuase we are just a farang. But for the Thais, there is no escape and they must follow the rules if they wish to get anywhere. Many get overseas and finally feel that they can just be themselves. No more fake smiles. No more being obliged to do this and that.

Another thing I here is they are so glad to be away from the corruption. For saught after jobs such as flight attendant for TG, if you don't have connections your chances of getting the job, no matter how qualified are not good, while unqualified daughters of well connected dad's get the jobs.

Opportunity is another big one. Before one of my friends moved to London, she had graduated from Mahidol (a very good uni in BKK), been an exchange student in the US, spoke fluent English. After two years of work for a major insurance company, she was up to 10,000 Baht a month. For those without such qualifications, youy are lucky to make 5,000 Baht a month. Stick with the same job for 20 years, you might be up to 20,000.

So they see the great opportunity abroad which many farangs take for granted. Start your own business with no red tape for the most part. Work hard and get promoted (assuming the economy picks up!)

I also hear about how they love how modern it is. For some who have become citizens, they love the health care benefits and other benefits should they become unemployed. Things that hardly exist in Thailand.

Finally, everyone tells me how nice it is to be away from the heat!

One thing to remember, when they go to the US for instance, they don't see the US that so many farangs running to Thailand see. Much of what they see is influenced by what they have heard or seen in movies or read about in magazines. Just like when we farangs come to Thailand, the reality of millions of people without any healthcare or social services doesn't really dawn on us.

And, to be sure, the grass is always greener...

I think that what it is, is opportunity. They have a chance to achieve, or at least chase their dreams. Everything here is so fast paced and advanced compared to what they see in Thailand, media or electronic wise. Here they have choices and a safety net with the social benefits. Just the opposite of what they are used to. That's why LOS appeals to us, because its' more laid back and easy going lifestyle, with a lower cost than we are used to. The grass is greener on the other side.

:cool: