Head On Collision - Air Bags Failed To Open

Mobi

Forgive me if this has been posted before....

The automatic door locking on the fortuner can be switched off, details are in the owners handbook. It's a bit fiddley to do and I found it a bit hit and miss. Take it to a dealer, they'll do it for you. It was the first thing I did when I got the thing.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Eventhough I'm a great fan of the older Volvo's (I drive a Volvo 245 on a daily base), it simply is a fact that their protection by sheer solidness, has been overtaken by protection through smart design and smart crumble zones.

I mentioned Volvo only in reply to

Volvos are cage construction with crumple zones and are the predecessors of most European and Japanese monocoque construction methods

Old, legendary Volvos weren't famous for crumbling.

>>>

Look, Triton got four stars on its first test ever. Navarra managed to get three simply after adjusting the air bag. Who says pickups are one star vehicles?

From the test results it seems chassi's on frame inherent design flaws can be overcome. What is there to argue?

Fortuner and Vigo have the same Global Outstanding Assessment passive safety body design as any other Toyota sedan.

Pages and pages of Thaivisa have been wasted by some people arguing that pickups are mortallu dangerous to drive, without any shred of factual evidence.

Pages and pages of Thaivisa have been wasted by some people arguing that pickups are mortallu dangerous to drive, without any shred of factual evidence.

And those people probably drive themselves and their Families in Pick ups, placing their Family in mortal danger should a large fly hit them.

My Friend had a crash in a Fortuner, and as the topic subject, the airbags did not work!

Another note about the Fortuner is the brakes! the are terrible, and do not seem to function when turning ( ever tried braking in a fortuner on a bend???.... )

>....and do not seem to function when turning ( ever tried braking in a fortuner on a bend???.... )

I do not believe you should be braking on a bend, it affects the center of balance of the vehicle.

Brake on the approach so you are at the correct speed for the conditions then accelerate out.

The pic of that car squashed by the commercial truck looks pretty nasty, yet it's not hard to imagine given the size of the truck. Simple physics...the much bigger mass wins. You can still have a solid vehicle without venturing into the commercial vehicle arena, but you'd have to either choose a European model like Volvo or go for something made in the 80's or before. Those things were built to last.

What is this brittle concrete stuff???

Look at Top Gear's crash test of old Volvos. They don't crumble, they ram through an obstacle.

Physics of a collision are such that Jazz gets hit with force double of that acts on a Fortuner. In equal circumstances, i.e. when hitting a tree, your allegedly superior safety design in Jazz might give an advantage over Fortuner, but when Fortuner hits Jazz, the little thing stands no chance.

To better illustrate how mass makes a difference - if a Jazz collides with a loaded ten wheel truck, the truck will barely slow down because it weighs up to forty times more. In a closed system momentum is constant, a truck will change his speed (decelerate under the foce of collision) in reverse proportion to its mass. The heavier it is, the less impact it will sustain.

Have you ever been to a physics class?

Eventhough I'm a great fan of the older Volvo's (I drive a Volvo 245 on a daily base), it simply is a fact that their protection by sheer solidness, has been overtaken by protection through smart design and smart crumble zones.

Take a look at following crash test, between a Volvo 940 tank (1.5 tons) and a tiny Renault Modus (1 ton, same body style as a Honda Jazz). Roughly the same accident as Mobi had...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBDyeWofcLY

The result, heavy injuries in the Volvo, possibly unsurvivable, and light injuries in the Renault.

They close with saying that traditionally the heavier vehicle holds the advantage, but that today with modern design and materials, it's time to re-evaluate that statement!

It is quite humbling to see how much damage that little tiny Renault was able to inflict on that Swedish piece of steel :o

I agree with the concept above BUT....the reasonning....the concept of crumple zones is pre-war...even my Triumph motor-cycle had crumple zones....why d'you think the 2 series Volvo had such large overhangs front and rear????

Technology and science have taught us a lot but the Volvo has a gage and crumple zones just like any modern car, the prnciple is the same only the knolodge and practice have improved....

PS - I've owned more Volvos than I'd really like to admit too.

I think you're right about the big commercial trucks. A secondhand one can be cheaper than a Fortuner. However, parking wouldn't be easy and I'm not sure if farangs can legally own a big truck like that. One thing is for sure, the big trucks run many more km's than regular pickups and they'll protect you in an accident if you don't flip it over.

You wouldn't need crumple zones and airbags with that thing! Looks like the Terex Titan....the world's biggest trucks used in quarries for hauling heavy stones/earth. I think a 6 or 10 wheel truck would be just fine. Some steel piping on the front/rear bumpers would keep other drivers from scratching the paint when you gently "nudge" them out of the way. :o

I tell you what - It's like talking to a concrete block!

post-4007-1206617863_thumb.jpg

The 4 people who were killed in the Car sure woul have preffered to be in the Truck, although the truck has no crumple zones or airbags.

The Truck driver never had a scratch. All in the car died at the scene and it took hours to get the bodies out of the tangle of safety structual, airbagged mess.

Size does matter.

Would a Fortuner have made a difference ?

Some clarification:

Honda Jazz - 1 ton

Renault Modus - 1.2 ton

Volvo 940 - 1.5 ton

Fortuner - 1.9 ton

>>>>>>>>>>>>

Renault-Volvo test had only 20% difference in mass, and Modus was the safest car in the world at the time.

Jazz weight almost half of Fortuner, on the other hand, and it doesn't even have five star rating.

And, unlike the old Volvo, Fortuner DOES have crumple zones.

Those who missed the Ncap's sensational headline two months ago will see that Triton gets the same rating as Jazz, and Navarra with three stars is not bad either. Who cares about Isuzu.

OK, so there seems to be a "draw" between the proponents of heavier vehicles being safer than smaller, lighter vehicles, and those who insist that it is all down to the safety 'qualities' of each individual vehicle.

But what about the height of a vehicle. Is this a factor?

If an SUV - such as a Fortuner - hits a car - such as a Toyota Corolla - which is much lower to the ground, isn't it likely that the Fortuner would be less damaged due to the higher position of impact? Or doesn't it make any difference?

Probably, but surely depends upon the type of shunt.

This week we saw the aftermath of a rear end, 4x4 was shunted up the rear by a mid-size saloon, it was on the expressway so speeds must have been quite high, near some roadworks so I suspect the pickup had anchored up and the following vehicle was too close. The saloon had gone under the back of the pickup lifting it off the ground. The pickup tailgate was about half way along the front doors of the car displaced to the left, anyone in the passenger seat would have been decapitated :o

There are just so many variables, had a mate walk away from a high speed incident that left his car looking like the aftermath of a Bagdad bomb, another was killed in an accident that left his car not even written off (neck injury).

There is a farang in this Toyota somewhere!. He had a disagreement with a power pole and lost.

After receiving first aid and two hours to cut free he is recovering.

Sorry had to remove piccy, it was a good one, but copyright laws!!

Edited by phutoie2

OK, so there seems to be a "draw" between the proponents of heavier vehicles being safer than smaller, lighter vehicles, and those who insist that it is all down to the safety 'qualities' of each individual vehicle.

If an SUV - such as a Fortuner - hits a car - such as a Toyota Corolla - which is much lower to the ground, isn't it likely that the Fortuner would be less damaged due to the higher position of impact? Or doesn't it make any difference?

Height usually means higher centre of gravity. This makes ALL SUVs less maneuverable at speed - NB - the Swedish moose test.

Most sedans now havw EPS ("swerve -aid") and this is not fitted to anything in THailand - I believe.-

A high COG also means more likey to role and not connect with other vehicles crumple zones - US and most other countries have standard heights for such things as bumpers etc on sedans.

When it comes to mass - and INERTIA - check out the relative weights of Camry.Accord to standard Thai pick-ups - not a lot of difference.

remember that when a collision occurs the drivers always respond by taking instinctive evasive action - this is not necessarily the best thing to do, suimply a knee-jerk reaction....so the quality of handling, brakes and other safety features come into play on pickups and some SUVs these are not as advanced as n a sedan.

THe cars are designed to both protect the occupants AND to as little damage to other people involved in the collision....the very basic conceptual designs of pickup s and their derivatives precludes this to such a great degree.

With a pickup, in the end you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear

Oh, now that it's been proven by NCAP that pickups can be as safe for drivers as small cars, you talk about safety of others.

You never give up, do you?

But would you ever have guts to admit that your long cherished notion that Jazz is safer than Fortuner, or a pickup, for that matter, is factually untrue?

I don't think so.

Keep on arguing until cows come home.

Oh, now that it's been proven by NCAP that pickups can be as safe for drivers as small cars, you talk about safety of others.

You never give up, do you?

But would you ever have guts to admit that your long cherished notion that Jazz is safer than Fortuner, or a pickup, for that matter, is factually untrue?

I don't think so.

Keep on arguing until cows come home.

Haha..... :D

Maybe Wilko is a Pick Up owner who would like a Fortuner but for some reason don't have one. Fortuners rock!! :o

I note it's Non Fortuner owners who criticise The Fortuner so much, Pick up owners made their choice, and I wouldn't hesitate to own another Pick up in Thailand.... ( If I never had a Fortuner ).

The auto locking feature on the Fortuner is the default setting. It can be turned off by some complex process using the remote control key and switching the door locks off and on. I've never succeeded in doing it, but that's probably just me. I understand the CRV has a similar set up.

Can someone please post the sequence to disable the fortuner auto locking feature. Our Toyota dealer wouldn't or couldn't do it as "it's set by the factory"

The auto locking feature on the Fortuner is the default setting. It can be turned off by some complex process using the remote control key and switching the door locks off and on. I've never succeeded in doing it, but that's probably just me. I understand the CRV has a similar set up.

Can someone please post the sequence to disable the fortuner auto locking feature. Our Toyota dealer wouldn't or couldn't do it as "it's set by the factory"

There are full instructions on how to do this on Page 15 in the English version of the Fortuner handbook. (I just wish I was bright enough to understand it. :o )

If you can't find a copy let me know and I'll scan it and post it.

Greatly appreciated if you would scan and post it Mobi. We only have the Thai version and don’t know anyone in our area with the English version.

We asked the dealer to disable it yesterday while the car was in for a service but they gave us the answer I quoted in my post above.

Greatly appreciated if you would scan and post it Mobi. We only have the Thai version and don't know anyone in our area with the English version.

We asked the dealer to disable it yesterday while the car was in for a service but they gave us the answer I quoted in my post above.

Here are the relevant pages, I snapped them, it was easier. If you succeed in disabling your auto locks, let us all know.

I have a suspicion - but I may well be wrong - that it can't be done, even though they claim it can. We shall see.

post-25991-1206935362_thumb.jpg

post-25991-1206935401_thumb.jpg

Greatly appreciated if you would scan and post it Mobi. We only have the Thai version and don't know anyone in our area with the English version.

Here are the relevant pages, I snapped them, it was easier. If you succeed in disabling your auto locks, let us all know.

I have a suspicion - but I may well be wrong - that it can't be done, even though they claim it can. We shall see.

The procedure as described in your photo's of the instructions reminds me of that dance where you put your left foot in, put your left foot out and shake it all about....

Edited by Rimmer

Yeah, but then we had a guy killed in a Honda City because it was squashed into pancake. Would never happen to a pickup.

I would not bet on this ! I have seen once a Isuzu DMax that I could recognise only because it I saw the sticker on the side of the bed. Was quite flat, and needless to say that driver and passenger were not easy to extract from the wreck.....

Pick up truck is no garantee of safe escape....

On a trip home from Pattaya... In Laemchabang I saw what i think was a Mitsu pickup, bed torn from the chassis, front smashed in, front pillars bent in towards the cabin, the side doors were probably crushed as well.

Don't get cocky because you have two tons of steel around you.

the Fortuner appears to be getting more than its fair share of bad press just lately. Mobi has had a life threatening experience due to failures, previous reports out of phuket described what appeared to be brake failure and another report suggested that the spare wheel would not fit one or other of the wheels if so required.

If I were Mobi, I would get this damaged vehicle towed to the nearest Toyota agent and dump it on their front step, taking media persons with it of course. remember the lady in BKK who smashed her windshield in front of the media as she could get no satisfaction from the manufacturer ( I think again this was Toyota). After that incident Toyota bent over backwards to replace her car.

You should be careful when you go puplic. This isn't America. I have my own expirience. They can suing you for "business damage" if they want. Usally they don't do, but they can! Contact a lawyer first.