Is It Possible

husskydog

Will 60k baht be enough to live on a month with say 25k for rent, looking at bangsaray area.

Or

Is changmai a better option at the above mentioned figure, really worried about the cost of living issue for long term.

Been on frequent hols in Los but not really took stock of spending...gentle advice please..thx

I think you could live quite comfortably on 60K per month.

The question to ask is what about the long term - is your 60K a fixed income or is it going to rise over time. Inflation in Thailand is a significant factor and since you are planning to rent, you are subject to inflation on you single biggest monthly outlay.

I think you could live quite comfortably on 60K per month.

The question to ask is what about the long term - is your 60K a fixed income or is it going to rise over time. Inflation in Thailand is a significant factor and since you are planning to rent, you are subject to inflation on you single biggest monthly outlay.

Yep, my pension will be rpi`d to the UK. And hopefully i might find some kind of work to top it up, but i must allow for that not to happen...thx for the fast reply

ps. to avoid confusion the 60k is before my rent is paid...ta

Edited by husskydog

25k for rent is quite generous unless you really want a western styled house with all mod cons. But what you have to also factor in is hidden costs such as visa runs, medical costs/insurance, holidays (even retired people like to travel), transport, utilities etc. Then there's your expected lifestyle, taking out the 25k rent leaves you about 1000 Baht per day. Although that is sufficient it soon dwindles if you smoke and/or drink and you don't mention a partner - are you going to live alone?

Will 60k baht be enough to live on a month with say 25k for rent, looking at bangsaray area.

Or

Is changmai a better option at the above mentioned figure, really worried about the cost of living issue for long term.

Been on frequent hols in Los but not really took stock of spending...gentle advice please..thx

Don't know about the bangsaray area or you but I know Chiang Mai.

I live with my wife and two kids just outside Chiang Mai, we own our house so don't pay rent.

My monthly outgoings utilities, food, going out, transport etc are around the 35k mark for the 4 of us.

This is just day to day stuff without health insurance, internet connection, travel etc factored in.

Rent's vary in Chiang Mai, but a reasonable condo with internet connection and cable shouldn't be more than 10,000k

Live outside the city and a 3 bedroomed house can be had for around 15k.

I would go with Guesthouse on this one.

I live in Bang Sare. You can rent a nice 3-bdr house for 7000 baht food is relatively cheap(unless you are eating farang food primarily) gas same as anywhere in Thailand. The Thai Markets are cheaper than the Pattaya area. Electric 1000-3000 baht(pending on how grandiose of a house you need. 3 baht a kilowatt hour for a house. Trash is 200baht a month in a development 100-200 for security. If you live in a house not in a development 20 baht for trash -0- baht for security.

Your fuel to Pattaya for meats & hard stock items(unless Tesco Lotus appeals to you in Sattahib...YUK! No tickets like the major cities, due to the 1 traffic officer that randomly checks the area, & once your checked you don't even get re-checked....he has a good memory! The rest depends on your vices. I would be happy here on 60,000 baht no problem.My funds go to building the baan & the small farm, so 60,000 a month would be great. If you live modest to good 40,000 should be fine........ but it depends on your vices & lifestyle.

Best of luck.

If you need any detailed info about Bang Sare area PM me & I will be glad to help you out

Barry

take into consideration that £ is falling - a year ago (and for many years) it was even 74 baht/£. Now is hoovering around 60baht/£. Some predict further fall. If trends will hold the next year it might be only 50baht/£.

accommodation is the biggest single expense. Signing a long-term contract and paying well in advance rent charges might give you a better deal if you are renting from an individual rather than estate agent or condo menagement.

finding some work will suplement your main income and prevent from betting bored and overspending on entertainment

The British pound has dropped, but it's still twice as much as the US dollar! When my wife and I first moved here over five years ago, we were getting around 40 Baht to a dollar. Lifestyle plays a HUGE role. If you can pull in 60K/month without having to work, that's great. I know many folks making just 40-50K/month with families and they're managing. I'm sure Bangsaen would be cheaper than Pattaya and it's also closer to BKK if you need to come here for visas, etc. If you're planning on getting a car, at least the fuel prices won't surprise you....gas and diesel are extremely expensive in the UK from what I've heard. I had the luxury of cheap gas for a long time in the States, but those days are gone. Good luck! :o

Or

ok weve been here many times you can live here on 10k 50k 100k 200k 500k baht a month

all depends on how you like to live myself i need about 250,000 baht a month and to live like

i do here would in UK need maybe 600000 baht a month abroad i dont live 5 *** just normal

heres my budget

Budgetper monthaverageCar insurance40002 cars car maint4000Petrol pm60002000km pmfood 30000family 4eat out10000childrens clothes etc10000Washing1500cleaning4500UBC1700Elec4000Tel & internet800Baby sitting2000school fees 2 kids30000house bits 5000dog3000doctor20000dentist birth fees etc etc trips thailand10000house maint10000misc10000sub total166500personal expenses wife15000my personnal expenses20000sub total201500trip/hol major 30000europe aus USA Total231500

heres my budget

Budget

per month

average

Car insurance

2 cars

car maint

Petrol pm

2000km pm

food

family 4

eat out

childrens clothes etc

Washing

cleaning

UBC

Elec

Tel & internet

Baby sitting

school fees 2 kids

house bits

dog

doctor

dentist birth fees etc etc

trips thailand

house maint

misc

sub total

personal expenses wife

my personnal expenses

sub total

trip/hol major

europe aus USA

Total

Or

Assuming you want to live a comparable lifestyle to back home:

CM: Home country costs divided by 3

BK: home country divided by 2

Mid size city: home country divided by 3.5

Village: home country divided by 4.5

Formulas are far from perfect but work better than guessing what type of life you want to live in Thailand. This forum is full of individuals that live extravagantly and simply.

Another thing worth considering is why you want to live in Thailand. A comparable financial lifestyle in Thailand is more satisfying in my opinion. If you want to splurge while in Thailand, the above figures are worthless.