Family's Heartbreak Plea After Son Dies In Paradise Motorbike Horror

You misread my post, I said unless someone had heard of another accident. Which would imply that was the only one I had heard about. And what is insensitive about saying he hit the metal post?

Since you most likely did not see the posts that were deleted in the other thread, then you are probably unaware of what was said, and how hurtful it would have been to the family. I don't think saying he hit a metal post is insensitive and think you are either splitting hairs here or have some notion of using this thread to score points?

I didn't misread your post at all & have no interest in splitting hairs or " scoring points ". I fully understand you moderate this Forum, thank you for doing so but believe, in my opinion, that you could have been a bit more compassionate with what you wrote.

Key phrase in that sentence is " in my opinion ".

IM

so many forangs get on a motor bike out here with no experience. ok you could argue weather they should be aloud to. the fact is that they can. why should someone over the age of 20 need a nanny to tell them wright from wrong. if u get on a bike in asia with no experience then your odds are going up to have an accident. my advise is DO YOUR MOTOR BIKE TEST!!!

I have had people try to rent me a bike even though I explain that I have never ridden one, I'm not used to driving on the left side, the condition of the roads and traffic laws (yeah, right) worry me, a recent injury might make controlling the bike in a tough situation too difficult AND the fact that most of the time I go someplace I have a drink or two. Or three or four. It doesn't seem to convince them.

Two points from me IMO:

1. Insurance companies have to draw the line somewhere. I think everyone can understand this point. I know it's easy to think, "Oh, they have lots of money so they should pay". They would be out of business in no time. I'm sure the person at the insurance company wasn't happy to have to say no but everything was spelled out in the contract. Should insurance companies have some kind of 'sympathy meter', and if a case is sad enough then they will pay even though they don't have to? Of course this is horrible and tragic but it doesn't mean all sense and logic (and policy guidelines) should be thrown out the window.

2. I do see the occasional tourist driving like crap. But what I see way much more are young Thai kids hauling ass on their motorbikes. Especially young males. I see kids that look as young as 10 or 11! I know they haven't had any kind of "Bike Test". And of course no helmet. Any of the emergency rooms will tell you they get more young Thai males in for motorbike accidents by far than tourists. Usually tourists are driving fairly slow so they can enjoy their new vacation "scenery".

SBK says an eyewitness saw the victim speeding. There is no reported confirmation (blood test) that the victim was drunk, only speculation. It may have been that the motorcycle experienced a mechanical problem which caused it to travel too fast. Maybe the brakes failed or the accelerator cable jammed. This is precisely what happened to my own motorcycle and the person riding it crashed but lived to explain what happened. Unless an examination of the motorcycle for mechanical faults has been completed the conslusion that the rider was responsible for the excessive speed is also speculation.

With limited or no post-crash investigation being done and judging from the general poor condition of many vehicles and lack of proper maintenance a percentage of accidents must be due to mechanical failure.

Those posters condemning the victim should show a little more respect and excercise some intelligence before passing judgement.

Condolences to friends and family. RIP.

its a real shame.

these insurance companies are quick to take your money and you think your covered but you have to read every little bit of small print as basically i noticed they dont cover you for the things you really need and dont pay out very often hence they make millions every year with false promises.

if you have taken travel insurance before then you will see they sell you it but dont explain the details,they just say you need insurance and get you scared then dont pay out when you actually do need it.i dont even bother now for this reason ..i used to but when i had problems then they never helped so now i save the money :o

Condolences to the family. On a similar theme regarding stingy insurance companies, I lost a decent watch in Australia. I dutifully filled out a police report etc etc and upon my return applied for the claim. A few weeks later I got a letter back saying that they would be happy to pay up if I could supply original air ticket stubs showing that I had been in Australia. Obviousy I'd thrown these away months before (they wanted arrival and departure ticket stubs). And no, a passport stamp was not sufficient.

W**kers.