Uk Spouse Settlement Visa Success Story

MrsKJ and I just came back from a successful if stressful week in BKK.

It took three days to get the visa, submission to collection. At a busy time, with obvious glitches in the system. Lucky again? Maybe. But I can't help thinking that a well prepared, honest, comprehensive application folder helps matters. We had a short wait for a positive answer two years ago for a visitors' visa.

So here is an outline of the pages of the folder I put together. I split it into five sections, divided by those tabbed file dividers. In each divider, I made a page listing the contents of that section. Each bullet point was a separate plastic sleeve with the papers inside. I put the whole lot in a standard sized ring binder, with a smart printed cover. The folder bulged.

And below that is the full story of our application in Bangkok:

UK Visa Application

Settlement Visa (Spouse)

Mrs. XXX XXX

<h2 style="text-align: left;" align="left"> </h2>

List of Contents

Section:

1. Cover letter, including all contact details, passport/visa photographs.

2. VAF4 Visa application form, visa fee.

3. Personal Details, Passports (The applicant and the sponsor, including the applicant's TB-free certification).

4. Evidence of Finances: (The applicant Mrs. Xxx xxx, and the sponsor (spouse) Mr. xxx xxx.)

5. Relationship History between the applicant and the sponsor.

6. Letter of Guarantee from Mr. xx. & Mrs. Xx xxx (providers of UK accommodation), personal details.

Dear Sir or Madame,

Above are the contents of this folder. I have aided my wife, Mrs.xxx xxx in the preparation of this application and the materials enclosed. xxxBLA bla brief outline of application and our relationship, my phone no, email etc xxxxxxxxx

Yours sincerely,

Mr. XXX XXX

(Husband and sponsor)

Date ___ / ___ / ______

________________________________________________________________________________

___

Photograph:

Mrs. XXX XXX

Home Address:

XXX

Chiang Mai XXXXX

Tel/Fax XXX

Mobile XXX

Date

Application for UK Spousal Visa

Dear Sir / Madame

Please consider my visa application. Brief outline of the application and our story from her point of view…..

Yours sincerely,

………………………………….……

(Mrs. XXX XXX

Formerly Miss XXX XXX)

Hopeful visa applicant.

________________________________________________________________________________

Personal Details Section

This section includes:

· Original and copy of Applicant's Current Passport.

· Original and copy of Applicant's Previous Passport (cancelled).

· Copy of ID card.

· Original and copy of Personal Details Certificate Guaranteed by the Thai Government.

(Original birth certificate unavailable)

· Original Personal House Registration Certificate Guaranteed by the Thai Government.

· Original and copy of Driving License.

· Copy of Motorcycle License.

· Original and copy of Thai Marriage Certificate.

· Copy of the Sworn Translation of Marriage Certificate from the British Consulate, Chiang Mai.

· Original and copy of Sponsor's Current Passport.

· Original and copy of Sponsor's Previous Passport (cancelled).

· Original and copy of Applicant's TB-free Certificates.

· Declaration of Clean Criminal Record, Mrs. XXX XXX.

_______

Finances, Employment and Property Section

Included in this section are:

· Letter explaining the finances of Mrs. XXX XXX (the applicant, surname formerly "XXX") and Mr. XXX XXX (husband and sponsor of the applicant).

Evidence supporting the Explanation of Finances:

· Copy of MrXXX's UK DSS National Insurance Number Card

· Copy of bank passbook Bangkok Bank, XXX XXX (maiden name).

· Copy of bank passbook SCB, joint account, XXX XXX and XXX XXX.

· Copy of bank passbook SCB, XXX XXX.

· Copy of bank passbook KTB, XXX XXX.

· Original Printed KTB monthly statements showing Mr. XXX's salary transfers for the last six months.

· Printout of Mr. xxx's uk HSBC my accounts page, recent date, details of recent transactions (Bank a/c, visa card).

· Original HSBC UK Current Account Statements going back xx months to date 2006, Mr. xxxxxx.

· Copy of Contracts of employment in Thailand (Mr. XXX) (2004-2007, 2007-2008).

· Copy of paper to certify salary and guarantee employment of XXApplicant made for her 2006 UK visa.

· Copy of work visa Mr. XXX XXX.

· Copy of work permit Mr. XXX XXX.

· Copy of tax card Mr. XXX XXX.

· Copies of the last five student loan repayment deposit slips (XXX XXX).

· Original letter confirming the sale of shares to the value of X,X33.61 Pounds from XXX.

· Email printout discussing the transfer of investment money to Mr. XXX's SCB account.

· Copy of Land Ownership Document (Chanote) for land in the name of XXX XXX.

· Copy of Government contract of land sale for land.

· Copy of Private contract of land tranfer for land, including Mr XXX's signature.

· Copy of the Map explaining the (England) land transfer from Mr. XXXX to the sponsor.

· Original Yearly Statement for Mr. XXX name of company Investment Bonds date to date.

· Copy of the instruction to surrender the bonds from the trustees of my account, date.

· Internet Banking Printout for Mr. XXX's new HSBC Online Bonus Saver showing xxxx.46 GBP.

· Original letter confirming partial surrender of Mr. XXX's Bonds, date.

· Email printout showing the remaining xxx.07 pounds in the xxxx account, date.

· Degree certificate (Miss xxx xxx now Mrs. xxx).

_

Relationship History Section

This section includes:

• Relationship Timeline between the Applicant and the Sponsor.

• Selection of e-mails between the applicant and the sponsor, Mr. XXXXXX.

• Selection of e-mails to and from Mr. & Mrs. XXX and family.

• Example letters from Mr. XXX to the applicant.

• Selection of cards from the family of Mr. XXX XXX to the couple.

• Example phone bills of Mr. XX & Mrs. XX XXX showing calls to Thailand.

• Copy of previous house rental contract (XXX Road), with selection of rental receipts.

• Letter of guarantee from owner of the property produced for the previous UK visa application.

• Copy of current house rental contracts (tambon xxx), with selection of rental receipts.

• Proof of home and work addresses, past and present.

• KLM Flight Itinerary, Bankok to UK and back, month date 2006.

• Air Asia and Etihad confirmed Itineraries, booked flight dates 2008.

• Photographs in support of the application, with explanations.

Explanation of Accommodation Arrangements in the UK

This section includes:

• Letter of Guarantee from Mr. xx. & Mrs. Xx xxx (providers of UK accommodation).

· Copies of the passports of the providers of UK accommodation.

• Photographs of every room at the property, address, UK.
  • Original letter of guarantee of income for Mr. xx. & Mrs xx xxx, 2006 (still valid).

_

So that was the paperwork. It took probably a good week of full time work to get together, and that was with the benefit of being able to re-use much of the paperwork from our successful visitor visa application two years back.

Our time in BKK:

Mon 17th March 08

Bought day passes for two on the BTS (a good investment, in hindsight!)

Arrived early on the skytrain to Sala Dang to join the queue at the IOM office as they open at 8:30am. (IOM are subcontracted to handle the TB certification part before you're allowed to submit an application) Appointment pre-booked for 9 am. 20 min wait. 2,500 Baht fee at IOM. Got the papers to take to Payathai 2 hospital at Sanam Pao BTS. Half hour after arrival, we came out of the hi-so hospital with her chest x-ray in a big envelope in hand. Don't squeeze it into a folder! Back on BTS to IOM. Join the queue, hand over the x-ray for the English Dr to examine and issue the TBfree cert. We were called into a back office and were told there was some abnormalities, possibly indicating TB. These also showed on a scan she'd had done (2 months ago, for reassurance that all was clear) in Chiang Mai, but the CM doc said all was clear. If TB is suspected by IOM, she'd have to turn up for swabs of sputum for the next three mornings, and if confirmed positive, she'd have to go back home and cure herself at her own expense before trying again with IOM after another 6 months. So a bit scary. She was bricking it to say the least. But the English Dr gave us another chance, sent us with papers back to the hospital across town on the BTS for three more close-up x-rays of the dodgy areas. IOM phoned ahead for us as to not slow us down too much. Mrs KJ snapped a heel on the way to Payathai, so hobbled to a Ma and Pa shop for a pair of bathroom sandals to use for the rest of the day – no time for shoe shopping, we wanted to get this submitted before the VFS at Regent house closed. Back to IOM for a third time, another set of films in a sealed white envelope. Waited for IOM to re-open at 1pm after their 1hr lunch. Half hour later, called back to the doc again (oh, sh*t). He said:

"Well, I've had a good close look at these new x-rays and… I've decided to give you the certificate!!!"

Talk about playing with people's lives! Big "Phew" and "Kob-Khun Kha".

We waited for the cert, slipped it into its place in the folder, then back on track again, if a couple hours late. On the BTS to Rajadamri, and drained an SCB ATM for the visa fee, and a trot down the road to Regent House. The Mrs went in to the VFS on the 2nd floor, popped downstairs with 35,000 B to get the bank draft and returned 10m later with that, and 2,500 B change! Bonus (due to the strong Baht, weaker pound, 500 quid is now 32,500) things were looking up! She joined the queue about 2:30pm. In there an hour, out of sight. Once in and at a desk, she said they just checked that all the paperwork was there. It was, and more. She came back out with an old passport of mine that they didn't want. A copy of all the important pages was enough.

Also they gave her a copy of the passport with a stamp as a receipt, a card with the useless phone number and website, and a basic form so that she could authorise someone else to come to VFS to collect the passport if it was taking a long time and we had to go back to Chiang Mai. The EMS/courier service to return the application no longer exists. We did the last visa all from CM back in the good old days. Someone told her she could try callind on the Wednesday, another said Friday. At this time VFS said they'd be open Friday, but the Embassy would be closed for Good Friday.

And that was it. We got it in on Monday. So back on BTS, in a minibus to the aunt's house to wait.

Tues 18th March

Try to relax and wait.

Weds 19th March

Tried calling – no joy. Bugs in the website so no luck there.

Thursday 20th March

I finally did get through, I tried calling soon after 8am before they opened the doors, but had staff in already) I told them about the website, they said "oh yes, the website has been down for quite some time now". That didn't stop them giving out the address to hopeful applicants, though, did it?

Getting nowhere, I tried the visa section at the embassy, I had to battle with the messages trying to get me to call VFS, then I hung on for 6-7mins with the phone ringing for an operative. An irritated woman answered. She also tried to fob me off in several ways, and wouldn't give any information about any individual pending application in the system. I explained we live in Chiang Mai and it's not practical to go and join the VFS queue at 3pm every day just to find out if they can find our application in their office or not. She gave me a fax number and that was it.

SO… accepting the fact we'd go home to Chiang Mai empty-handed, facing an agonizing 4-day Easter weekend with no news or progress… until SURPRISE! Out of the blue, a call at 3pm from the VAC "Your visa is ready, come to meet us now!" Closed Good Friday, so a mad dash from the rellies house (Suphan Buri side of Nonthaburi). The taxi-meter man got the message and put his foot down, onto the elevated expressways into the middle of town. Arrived Regent House VFS 4:10pm for a painful wait while Mrs KJ went inside for a good half hour… They'd misplaced her bulky folder but found it in a back office… she emerged, we opened the white envelope and there it was, passport and visa! SUCCESS!

On the phone to the folks in UK – over the moon.

Down to the little café in the lobby – the 30B Ham'n'cheese sarnies aren't bad there.

No interview, nothing. Just like last time.

I think they found all they wanted and more, they'd certainly had a good rummage. The rings of the binder were open and the plastic sleeves were all sliding around as they do. I still haven't been through the mess to see what if anything they'd taken this time. I'm just glad to get it back - there was more than enough information in there to comprehensively steal at least two people's identities and financial details. I should check really- we all know how careful our government can be with such things…

Friday 21st

Shopping and booked VIP bus tickets back to CM. Bonus day, nothing to rush home for… Back to work Monday.

Sat 22nd

Relaxing 9hour ride home (999 company, 24 seat double-deck VIP coach 800 Baht)

Best seats: front row on top.

Dinner and ales with the family in CM, and they'd bought Krom-Loys to celebrate!

So that's it all. I do hope something was helpful to someone. I know I took a lot of guidance and reassurance from this sub-forum to get this far, and I hope I can contribute something useful now and again.

Many thanks to all the frequent posters here.

If anything is unclear or you need anything else, post a question up and I'll do my best.

Mr and Mrs KruJoe

Good luck all!

Congratulations and good luck to you both. Yep it sure does feel good when you get that visa.

Scooty

congratulations indeed you must be so happy.....

i have a question as my wife is now on her way to bk to hand in her application

my wife has had the translations done from thai to english by an agency in chiang rai but do we need them authenticated by the thai goverment office or the british consulate?

congratulations again....luke

MrsKJ and I just came back from a successful if stressful week in BKK.

So that's it all. I do hope something was helpful to someone. I know I took a lot of guidance and reassurance from this sub-forum to get this far, and I hope I can contribute something useful now and again.

Many thanks to all the frequent posters here.

If anything is unclear or you need anything else, post a question up and I'll do my best.

Mr and Mrs KruJoe

Good luck all!

Congratulations... :D

I'm about to apply for a 1st visit visa. That's an excellent template to work from :o:D

RAZZ

Luke -- in answer to your question...

my wife has had the translations done from thai to english by an agency in chiang rai but do we need them authenticated by the thai goverment office or the british consulate?

...I'm assuming you're talking about the translations of the marriage certificate?

You don't need them authenticating, I believe, and you don't need translations at all for the application. Just the original wedding cert (they'll return it), along with a photocopy of it. (On every photocopy, we signed at the bottom to certify authenticity.)

Most of our application was in English, but some important documents such as those for my wife's identity were in Thai with no translations. They have Thai readers at every stage, and accept papers in Thai or English. We only included the copy of the sworn translation authenticated by the Chiang Mai Consul because we had it - just another little grain of evidence to guarantee our relationship.

So I wouldn't bother, what you have is fine.

But, if you plan to live in the UK, or outside Thailand, I'd have the translation sworn by the consular department before you go. I cant remember the fee, a few thou?... Worth doing if you need to prove your marriage once outside Thailand.

My wife's family had mis-placed her birth cert, so as proof of ID, she took everything else she had in her document folder and wallet to an Amphur Office and asked them for a stamped, sealed printout of all her personal details. They did it there and then, and it cost about 30 Baht. :o

We included this and a signed photocopy in the folder. No translation. No questions asked. Job's a good 'un.

I hope that helps...

KJ

Luke -- in answer to your question...

...I'm assuming you're talking about the translations of the marriage certificate?

You don't need them authenticating, I believe, and you don't need translations at all for the application. Just the original wedding cert (they'll return it), along with a photocopy of it. (On every photocopy, we signed at the bottom to certify authenticity.)

Most of our application was in English, but some important documents such as those for my wife's identity were in Thai with no translations. They have Thai readers at every stage, and accept papers in Thai or English. We only included the copy of the sworn translation authenticated by the Chiang Mai Consul because we had it - just another little grain of evidence to guarantee our relationship.

So I wouldn't bother, what you have is fine.

But, if you plan to live in the UK, or outside Thailand, I'd have the translation sworn by the consular department before you go. I cant remember the fee, a few thou?... Worth doing if you need to prove your marriage once outside Thailand.

My wife's family had mis-placed her birth cert, so as proof of ID, she took everything else she had in her document folder and wallet to an Amphur Office and asked them for a stamped, sealed printout of all her personal details. They did it there and then, and it cost about 30 Baht. :o

We included this and a signed photocopy in the folder. No translation. No questions asked. Job's a good 'un.

I hope that helps...

KJ

very helpful thankyou

luke

Great post Krujoe.

I'm going to be doing exactly the same in 2 weeks time so this is a great help. One quick question, do you know if its necessary to submit the actual passport for both the applicant and sponsor or will photocopies of relevant pages suffice ?

Cheers

Lee

'

Thanks for the positive comments chaps; I'm happy to be able to give something back to this forum...

Great post Krujoe.

I'm going to be doing exactly the same in 2 weeks time so this is a great help. One quick question, do you know if its necessary to submit the actual passport for both the applicant and sponsor or will photocopies of relevant pages suffice ?

Cheers

Lee

The applicant's current passport and all previous ones (if available) must be included, along with full photocopies of them. My wife had two...

But as I said above somewhere in my big post:

...they just checked that all the paperwork was there. It was, and more. She came back out with an old passport of mine that they didn't want. A copy of all the important pages was enough...

I sent full copies of my own current and past passports, though just the copies of pages with something on would probably suffice. They didn't want my passports of mine, and realisticaly, how could they take them for an indeterminate period? We may need our current p/p at any time (legally we must carry them), or often we wouldn't even be in the country.

Good luck, Lee...

'

Thanks for the positive comments chaps; I'm happy to be able to give something back to this forum...

Great post Krujoe.

Cheers

Lee

The applicant's current passport and all previous ones (if available) must be included, along with full photocopies of them. My wife had two...

But as I said above somewhere in my big post:

...they just checked that all the paperwork was there. It was, and more. She came back out with an old passport of mine that they didn't want. A copy of all the important pages was enough...

I sent full copies of my own current and past passports, though just the copies of pages with something on would probably suffice. They didn't want my passports of mine, and realisticaly, how could they take them for an indeterminate period? We may need our current p/p at any time (legally we must carry them), or often we wouldn't even be in the country.

Good luck, Lee...

Thanks for the quick response Krujoe, thats cleared up that little question.

Cheers

Lee

• 2 weeks later...