Army Chief Rules Out Coup

george

Army chief rules out coup

BANGKOK: -- Army Commander -in-Chief Gen Anupong Paochinda Saturday ruled out another coup, saying none of his subordinates ever thought about staging another coup.

"I would like to affirm that the Royal Thai Army is a mechanism of the government for creating ultimate stability," Anupong said.

"I hereby guarantee that army officers will not get involved in politics."

Earlier, Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej said he had received a warning that a group of military officers was planning to stage a coup.

-- The Nation 2008-03-29

++

Army chief: Army will not stage a coup

BANGKOK: -- - Army chief Anupong Paochinda assured public on Saturday that another coup will not be staged by the army.

Gen Anupong said the army serves His Majesty the King, the nation and the people, and will not get involved in politics.

On rumours about another coup d'etat, he said he does not know who circulates the rumours so he cannot assess the situation now.

He added that political problems should be used by using political means, and violence would do no good to any parties.

--Bangkok Post 2008-03-29

++

Army chief urges rival groups not to resort to violence

BANGKOK: -- Army Commander-in-Chief Gen Anupong Paochinda Saturday urged rival political groups not to resort to violence.

He said all groups should use normal mechanisms instead of resorting to violence.

He said the government's opponents could do what permitted by the laws to try check and balance the government.

"But any activity that is sensitive and could lead to an untoward incident should be avoided," Anupong said.

"Using violence will not bode well to any group."

Anupong said a rally by a group against the People's Alliance for Democracy, during which water bottles were thrown at PAD demonstrators, was sensitive and could lead to violence.

-- The Nation 2008-03-29

Update:

Army chief instructs Channel 5 to inform public of soldiers' movements

BANGKOK: -- Army Commander-in-Chief Gen Anupong Poachinda said Friday that he has instructed army-owned Channel 5 to keep public inform of all movements of army personnel to quash coup rumors.

Anupong also ruled out another coup by the army, saying he had affirmed with Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej that there would be no such untoward incident.

-- The Nation 2008-03-30

Army chief urges rival groups not to resort to violence

Because institutionalized violence, you see, is the divine right of armies to do (or so it seems to those who read Scriptures inside out). And I might add that in a constitutional monarchy, coups are only done....no, I may not add that.